Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,252 times

Advertisements

EVERYONE should know how to turn off ANY car that they start and drive. Not to understand that is just stupid, panic or not. Sully, the pilot, could have panicked too, but he did what he was trained to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Deep Thoughts....by Jack Handy

Well, stupid people drive cars. You should know that better than anyone of us.

If you understood what happens to the body in a panic, Skippy, you would not have made that statement. But hey, with you that is par for the course.
No need for disrespect...

Quote:
***Please be respectful of others' choices or I will request that this thread be closed or deleted. We can disagree and not resort to petty name-calling. Thanks!***
I do know a lot about stupid people driving cars, how people react in panic, and about 'Cockpit Resource Management', I have been driving emergency vehicles for over 25 years.

The point is personal responsibility, something that seems to be going away quicker than throttle cables.

No car is perfect, a driver should know how to handle an emergency, if the do not, they are in peril.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
No need for disrespect...

I do know a lot about stupid people driving cars, how people react in panic, and about 'Cockpit Resource Management', I have been driving emergency vehicles for over 25 years.

The point is personal responsibility, something that seems to be going away quicker than throttle cables.

No car is perfect, a driver should know how to handle an emergency, if the do not, they are in peril.

I would never disrespect you, Skippy. Just because someone disagrees with you and what you say, does not constitute disrespect. You'll get a better grasp on that when you get older. It comes through experience. I'm somewhat flattered that you took the time to go find my statement though.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 AM

'Skippy' is not a term of respect, but more importantly it adds nothing to the discussion at hand.

Cars evolve, Henry Ford did not trust hydraulic brakes and was one of the last to adopt them. Drive by wire is an emerging technology, good or bad.

People still have to take personal responsibility to understand their vehicles and know how to deal with emergencies.

Corporations need to strive to produce as safe a vehicle as they can and will fail at times, but if they were still producing Model T's they would not pass current safety regs. Technology will advance, but not without problems. There is a long list of recalls, government fixes, etc.

Does that keep us safe?

Safer, maybe, maybe not.

Ultimately, we need to realize that anything can go wrong and be reasonably prepared to deal with it.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
'Skippy' is not a term of respect, but more importantly it adds nothing to the discussion at hand.

Cars evolve, Henry Ford did not trust hydraulic brakes and was one of the last to adopt them. Drive by wire is an emerging technology, good or bad.

People still have to take personal responsibility to understand their vehicles and know how to deal with emergencies.

Corporations need to strive to produce as safe a vehicle as they can and will fail at times, but if they were still producing Model T's they would not pass current safety regs. Technology will advance, but not without problems. There is a long list of recalls, government fixes, etc.

Does that keep us safe?

Safer, maybe, maybe not.

Ultimately, we need to realize that anything can go wrong and be reasonably prepared to deal with it.
Well, I don't know your name or what to call you so I'm using Skippy as a term of endearment. Just let me know what you'd like to be called, Skippy, and I'll do so.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't know your name or what to call you so I'm using Skippy as a term of endearment. Just let me know what you'd like to be called, Skippy, and I'll do so.
Why not just try to stay on topic? My moniker is pretty obvious, it is on top of each of my posts.

Let me ask you this: Do you deny that each of us has a responsibility to know how to operate a vehicle on public roads, even in an emergency?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Why not just try to stay on topic, and my moniker is pretty obvious, it is on top of each of my posts.

Let me ask you this: Do you deny that each of us has a responsibility to know how to operate a vehicle on public roads, even in an emergency?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
There have been other cars made by other manufacturers that have had the same number of reported incidents if not more. For some reason, they don't warrant government pronouncements. I find that suspicious.

momof2, with all the crappy driving you've we see around here, I'd bet dollars to donuts the Toyota connection is a coincidence.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
But, do I call you "deep" or "cyn"???

We all have the responsibility, I fully agree with you on that. However, when people can't even assume the responsibility of not texting while driving or not buckling up or restraining their kids properly, how can we expect them to to operate a vehicle properly in an emergency or not? Those people aren't going to take the time to bother and sadly, they comprise a large percentage of the drivers out there.
I don't 'expect' them to operate a vehicle properly, but if they die doing it I do not mourn them. And I do not necessarily blame it on the car they are driving, precisely because of what you point out about texting, putting on make-up, etc.

I think they should be fined heavily and taken off the road.

As to the innocents that are killed, I mourn them, but it is a fact of life. Trust me, I have seen it, and picked up the pieces more than you know, or I care to remember.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There have been other cars made by other manufacturers that have had the same number of reported incidents if not more. For some reason, they don't warrant government pronouncements. I find that suspicious.
Suspicious of what? What is happening now has happened before with other makes. Just admit it. Toyota is screwing up and making this worse just as has happened to other car makers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion