Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:52 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Suspicious of what? What is happening now has happened before with other makes. Just admit it. Toyota is screwing up and making this worse just as has happened to other car makers.
Absolutely. But did congress have a press conference to discuss the Cobalt's power steering that was cutting out? Or the Escapes that were catching on fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:50 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
EVERYONE should know how to turn off ANY car that they start and drive. Not to understand that is just stupid, panic or not. Sully, the pilot, could have panicked too, but he did what he was trained to do.
Agreed! What's so hard about turning any car off? How many brain cells does it take?

Sully I live a 3 minute drive from the Hudson River, so this "hits" close to home. Another pilot may have heaven forbid crashed that plane into my neck of the woods. Not too many like Sully IMO.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Absolutely. But did congress have a press conference to discuss the Cobalt's power steering that was cutting out? Or the Escapes that were catching on fire?
I am willing to bet that if this problem was happening with Government Motors Tahoes and Silverados that the NHTSA head would not tell Congress that owners should not drive them.

I do not mean to imply Toyota shouldn't suffer because of their defect. But the US government's agencies would handle this differently if it was a US government backed car maker.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:51 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,021 times
I have bought a 2010 corolla and ever since then, I worry every time I start it up...I only use the car for local things, shopping, errands etc...I have heard alot of horrible stories of where the peddle got "stuck" and usually its a toyota that is not always newer, a year ago I believe there was a woman who died who drive a 2007 maybe? She could not stop the car...I am wondering if pulling the key out and hitting the brakes would help or not?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
I have bought a 2010 corolla and ever since then, I worry every time I start it up...I only use the car for local things, shopping, errands etc...I have heard alot of horrible stories of where the peddle got "stuck" and usually its a toyota that is not always newer, a year ago I believe there was a woman who died who drive a 2007 maybe? She could not stop the car...I am wondering if pulling the key out and hitting the brakes would help or not?
No, putting the car in neutral and hitting the brakes is what you should do if the issue ever arises. If you're that worried, trade it in on something else.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
sounds just "great" in that i just test drove a Yaris and am considering getting one

Old 11-24-2011, 05:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I just purchased a 2010 Corolla S and am not the least bit worried about the "aceleration problem". My car did have the recall done. rirl don't worry, buy the Yaris and enjoy. WindChimes, you can go online at toyota.com, put your vin# in and find out if the recall had been done on your car.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:28 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
I think some general vehicle operations and mechanics should be explained and tested before handing the keys over to a new driver. Not of a new car, but in order to receive your vehicle license in the first place. It wouldn't be for the sake of putting mechanics out of business, but might force people to actually know a thing or two about the type of car they're operating, along with some general safety practices that might keep them and others alive on the roads.

Some general information about: How an engine works, how power reaches the wheels, how brakes work, general safety precautions, etc...Knowing that putting a car into neutral will stop it from accelerating is something EVERY driver should know before they get on the road and attempt to kill myself or anyone else!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Turning the key all the way off on most cars is going to lock the steering wheel, shut down your power steering and power assisted brakes, better to throw the car in neutral.
You could also buy a car thats never been involved in an accident......
Or buy a car equipped with a brake over ride system.. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...e-to-All-Cars/

Last edited by jambo101; 11-25-2011 at 02:39 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 01:27 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Those were isssues, but how many actual property damage accidents occueed because of them? And how many fatalities?

The cobalt thing came up a few times by Toyota fanboys, back during the Toyota thing. I believe there were like 20 crashes, no major injuries, and no fatalities, with the cobalt thing.

Come on you don't think the media wouldnt tear GM a new *******s if they cars did anything remotely as bad as the Toyota situation? News stations would eat them alive.

Key thing to note, is know your specific car, know how it works. My almost 12 year old camaro has drive by wire and was never brought up as suspect like Toyota.

My G6, is much more software and logic control. So its worth learning as its not as traditional. An example is the ignition switch, if my car is running.g and I try to run the starter it will give me curtosey ding, not grind my starter. Also modern transmissions are computer controled, there are not cables running from the shifted, it is an electronic switch device that is likely software contoled as well.

Depending on how the logic is setup by the manufacturer determines how it will work. Some are designed for safety, but the safety device itself becomes a hazard.

I believe the state trooper that was out of control in a Lexus that called 911, that eventually crashed and killed his family, had a push button ignition. To avoid accidental shutoff while driving I believe you had to press and hold the button for like 5 seconds to kill the engine. He probably was frantically pressing it, and nothing happened.

Imagine it happening as you come to a light 10 seconds is too long.

Either way, the worst part was all the Toyota shadiness with people they were buying off...

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion