Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 AM

415 posts, read 1,779,152 times

Advertisements

Practically speaking, many people, especially people in Los Angeles for example, spend A LOT of time in their cars. When I lived there, EVERY TRIP was a TRIP. A two and a half mile drive could easily mean 45 minutes by car during rush hour.

Anyway, the point being: if you are spending a lot of time in your car, it's understandable why you'd want to be as comfortable as possible, within one's budget.

Having said that, many people get to an unhealthy point in their lives where their ego is synonymous with material purchases. Hence, the enormous debt which could very well lead to economic collapse in the near future.

I don't know what the OP's budget is, but if OP is concerned enough about gas prices to be posting about it, it makes me believe that the lexus may not be within their budget after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I agree with one poster who said that a car is an emotional decision for many. I would've been happy with a Toyota after I graduated from college, but now I find them reliable but far too bland for my tastes. Older now, I prefer more from my car. I prefer the Lexus brand and I own a GS. It's a beautiful car, beautiful styled in and out. Very comfortable, smooth, quiet ride. A car of quiet quality. Understated in its superiority. Maintenance costs have been lower than for any car that I've owned. Service is top quality. I gladly put premium in it because 1) the manufacturer recommends it for the car and 2) price for premium doesn't concern me.

If I had to be concerned with the price of gas, the price of premium unleaded, or I was willing to put Regular unleaded in despite the manufacturer's recommendation that I do otherwise, I wouldn't own a Lexus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 04:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I don't know what the OP's budget is, but if OP is concerned enough about gas prices to be posting about it, it makes me believe that the lexus may not be within their budget after all.
From the OP: Filled up today, noted that the premium was .30 cents more per gallon. For me, always one to look for a deal, when I see 3 items lined up for sale; the gas, I would automatically go for the cheapest. I have never in my 20 plus years of driving bought premium gas.

On the whole, an extra $200 bucks a year is nothing. I intellectually am aware of this. As far as financial, it's not really that. It is just the choosing of the highest cost when before me there are other much cheaper options. I'm not trying to figure out how to save on gas to make a car payment. I would not be financing anything. It's just a matter of changing my view of it all.

I appreciate the one poster who equaled the premium with the better gas mileage. That makes sense to me. I can grab onto that.

I was only wondering if anyone else out there felt as I did, and just got over it. Or if you were pissed every time you went to the gas station . After all, you are driving a lovely car. I know my concern is a bit irrational.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
From the OP: Filled up today, noted that the premium was .30 cents more per gallon. For me, always one to look for a deal, when I see 3 items lined up for sale; the gas, I would automatically go for the cheapest. I have never in my 20 plus years of driving bought premium gas.

On the whole, an extra $200 bucks a year is nothing. I intellectually am aware of this. As far as financial, it's not really that. It is just the choosing of the highest cost when before me there are other much cheaper options. I'm not trying to figure out how to save on gas to make a car payment. I would not be financing anything. It's just a matter of changing my view of it all.

I appreciate the one poster who equaled the premium with the better gas mileage. That makes sense to me. I can grab onto that.

I was only wondering if anyone else out there felt as I did, and just got over it. Or if you were pissed every time you went to the gas station . After all, you are driving a lovely car. I know my concern is a bit irrational.
You have to expect to pay some higher costs for a premium car, just not unreasonably so. Having to use premium unleaded is a reasonable additional expense IMO.

I owned a '94 BMW 740il once. It was my dream car. I didn't mind putting premium in it because this was a reasonable expectation. What was unreasonable was writing a check every few months for two or three THOUSAND dollars for its maintenance. Something was always wrong with that car and the expense to maintain it was wholly unreasonable to me even though I could afford to pay it. We each have different criteria for what we consider unreasonable.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Just revisted this thread. Thanks for the opinions. Never thought about the gas mileage diff, and as one poster put it, in regards to the fuel cost difference, "What would you be doing with the extra couple of hundred anyway?" Yeah, spending it on coffee!!

We'll see about the Lexus for me. I am interested in either the "Big Lex", as I call the LS430, or the GS 300/400 series.
You should check to see that the insurance will probably be more of an increase than the gas money. As far as the premium gas, it's how the Lexus gets more power from the engine. A V6 GS has the same size engine of the Camry V6, but the GS uses higher compression to get about 30-40 more horsepower, but that requires premium, otherwise the engine will run at a lower output closer to the Camry V6. It's partly marketing, since it would be a slightly harder sell to charge more for a car that doesn't have more power compared to the economy model.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Do any Lexus owners care about the premium price or am I just too price conscious?? Laugh
I moved up to a premium brand. Not only do you pay more in gas, you'll pay more in insurance and maintenance costs. Yahoo Autos has a nice cost-to-own estimator. Take a look. I think a lot of people underestimate what they'll pay for a luxury brand.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,604 times
this reminds me of something. Alot of friends of mine always talk talk talk about how they found an acura, a lexus, an infinity, etc on craigslist that was listed at a decent price and that they could pick it up. What always keeps them from buying is the increase in maintanence, the price of the parts, and the insurance. I'm kinda glad I didn't go that route and was able to finance something I didn't have an issue maintaining and paying the insurance on.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
There's an additional cost that comes with owning a luxury brand. Will you feel self-conscious about it in certain environments? For example, at your place of work, you may not like wondering whether people think you are overpaid. I had one relative who has his own business. When he got a Lexus, he was reluctant to drive it to work for the first few months. I think he worried about what his employees would think. I had another relative who got a BMW and felt a bit uncomfortable going to work in car nicer than what his boss had. Obviously, no employer should ever tell you how to spend your money and if you really want a Lexus, you shouldn't worry too much about what others think of you. But it is something to keep in mind. One nice thing about having a non-luxury brand is you don't stand out as much. Then again, I think a lot of people buy luxury brands precisely to stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion