Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Yeah, but Ford closed at $11.41....Toyota closed at $77.67.

I'll keep my Toyota shares, thank you.

Yes, but it's not surprising that it will go negative when the Dow is negative, and then slingshot up when the Dow bounces back. With F's high Beta, today wasn't that bad of a day, I was expecting them to fall further once the market trended down.

It's your money, so keep your Toyota shares if you want. But with the falling market share, lower quality, and fading consumer confidence could leave you in for an unpleasant surprise if you do. I strongly advice to sell TM, but that's your call....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,381,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Yeah, but Ford closed at $11.41....Toyota closed at $77.67.

I'll keep my Toyota shares, thank you.
Price has nothing to do with saavy investing.

Ford has had strong upward momentum since early 2009, while Toyota has had consistent downward momentum since early 2007 (minus a small recovery in 2009). I'd hate to be a TM bagholder right now...not much money to be made, but plenty to be lost, especially with a double-whammy of earnings and January sales reports approaching next week.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
From many of these responses you'd think Toyota was the first company in the history of autodom to issue a safety recall. And it's kind of twisted how many people seem glad to see Toyota to get bumped down a notch, as if knocking them down will elevate anyone else.
It does not mean people are happy to see them fall from glory. It is just a reflection that no company is perfect. Toyota has made an image through excellent marketing that has convinced the American public their cars are borderline flawless. Toyota reliability has been declining in recent years and they are giving out a higher percentage of recalls than ever before. Many think this is a possible sign of change in the wrong direction at Toyota. One that values global domination over quality.
I give you Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
In other news, Have you all noticed that Toyota stock down 9.3% since yesterday morning and Ford is up 6.4%. All I can say is Ford FTW, Toyota got pwn'ed! [emphasis added]
I just don't get this mentality. "Yay for Ford, not because their products suddenly became better overnight, but because some other company faltered!" How does that help anyone?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,134,441 times
Im waiting to see just how many americans lose their jobs over this. I think that if the car makers are forced to do things they really dont want to do that they will make sure that plenty of americans will too "pay a price" Time will tell..

Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
What I would do:

1) Read the recall so you know what to do in case you actually have a failure.

2) Wait to see if your vehicle actually will fall under the recall. If it does, wait for Toyota to have a fix.

3) Hold on to the car. A lot of people will have a knee-jerk reaction to dump their Toyota. In fact, GM and Ford are banking on it by offering an additional $1K on Toyota trade-ins. But the same knee-jerk reaction that tells you to sell is also telling others not to buy. Let it all blow over. If, after some period of time you still want out, sell it then when America's ADD attention span has turned to some other popular issue.

Mike
That makes the most sense. Hold on to it. Don't get crazy over this issue. GM and Ford can keep their trade-in money to themselves. Kudos on the last statement, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
In other news, Have you all noticed that Toyota stock down 9.3% since yesterday morning and Ford is up 6.4%. All I can say is Ford FTW, Toyota got pwn'ed!
It's a setback, but they'll saddle up, and be right back up. You'll see. Soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
There biggest mistake was when they started making their cars in the US. Our workers have no pride anymore and only care about going home.
You don't get an argument on this end. I never stopped thinking to myself, that they should have kept it all in Japan, when they were announcing building cars over here. Those were the good old days, when Toyota built better cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I bought a 2008 highlander about a year ago. I've had no issues with it and am not running scared just yet. If they do a recall, I will take it in, get it fixed and continue driving it.
My Avalon XLS Touring hasn't given me one single problem. Just oil changes, and that's it. Nothing more. I'm still enjoying it. Most aren't affected. Toyota is just taking extra cautionary steps to prevent lawsuits, and mishaps. And of course the press, domestic auto manufacturers and Hyundai are having a field day. Let them have their party for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
. I still think it's the drive-by-wire system or a software glitch.
In all honesty, I believe the same thing. I've been talking about the drive-by-wire crap when it first came out..

A friend of mine completely redesigned his intake manifold to run an after market throttle body, and an aftermarket engine management system in his Subaru STi. Less BS, and better performance. (He actually put down 700+whp a few months ago on the dyno ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Why not? We blame Chinese made products all the time even though they are American Companies.

Let's just say "quality control" no longer exists.
You hit the nail on the head. Great angle/perspective. Glad I'm not alone seeing that.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I give you Exhibit A:

I just don't get this mentality. "Yay for Ford, not because their products suddenly became better overnight, but because some other company faltered!" How does that help anyone?

As the youngins call it. "Player Hating" .

And you're right, what happened to Toyota did not make domestics any better. Some people don't understand the difference. Poor souls.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
My Avalon XLS Touring hasn't given me one single problem. Just oil changes, and that's it. Nothing more. I'm still enjoying it. Most aren't affected. Toyota is just taking extra cautionary steps to prevent lawsuits, and mishaps. And of course the press, domestic auto manufacturers and Hyundai are having a field day. Let them have their party for now.[/b]
This isn't a precautionary recall - it's a full blown one, and because Toyota doesn't have a fix, they cannot legally sell any new cars with the known issue. Yet, they still did for 5 days, from the time the recall was official and the time Toyota made their PR statements.

Prevent lawsuits? ... if settling out of court and hiding known issues is preventing a lawsuit, then I guess they succeeded on that aspect.

Mishaps ... you realize that there was a second fatal accident too; this one was a 2008 Avalon. The floor mats that Toyota said was "the cause" of unintended acceleration ... they were in the trunk of the car.

The issue at stake is that Toyota knew about these problems for quite some time now, yet chose to dance around the issue instead of looking for a resolution.

"People are so under stress right now, people have so much on their minds. With pagers and cell phones and IM, people are just so busy with kids and family and boyfriends and girlfriends. So, you're driving along and the next thing you know you're two miles down the road and you don't remember driving, because you're thinking about something else."

That, BTW, was Toyota's response to unintended acceleration issues in the Prius.
Houston News - Wild Rides - page 1

The old recommendation that "you can't go wrong with a Toyota" ... sorry. Despite building a solid reputation here for decades now and building trust with every passing year, with the way they have been handling these situations in recent years, that trust is gone now ... and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way either.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
I wouldn't worry to much either. Take the car out and practice, through it into neutral and brake. Find an empty parking lot and practice it a few times.
Anyone that needs to practice putting their car in neutral or applying the brakes shouldn't be driving to begin with.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Toyota is just taking extra cautionary steps to prevent lawsuits, and mishaps.
no, they're taking the steps enforced on them by US law.

so, as of this morning, Toyota says they have a fix. supposedly, they're going to install a shim somewhere in the pedal mechanism that will alleviate the issue. but something about this still stinks. read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100128/ap_on_bi_ge/toyota_recall (broken link)

is it just me, or does the way Toyota describes the root cause make it sound like they're claiming the pedal is somehow physically attached to the throttle?

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-29-2010 at 06:26 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 AM

2,166 posts, read 3,381,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
"People are so under stress right now, people have so much on their minds. With pagers and cell phones and IM, people are just so busy with kids and family and boyfriends and girlfriends. So, you're driving along and the next thing you know you're two miles down the road and you don't remember driving, because you're thinking about something else."

That, BTW, was Toyota's response to unintended acceleration issues in the Prius.
Houston News - Wild Rides - page 1
Thanks for posting that link. I remember reading the first story of the woman that had the car speed up to 84 mph and the other of the Prius crashing into the garage. Somehow unintended acceleration in the Prius has been brushed aside, even though there are plenty of incidents reported in the past. Also, the Prius is Japanese-made and therefore uses a Denso pedal, not the one that has been recalled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion