Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,121 times

Advertisements

Toyota Halts Sales Of Eight Vehicles... For Your Protection - Toyota Recall - Jalopnik

Quote:
Toyota's now announced a halt to sales of all eight models involved in the sticky-accelerator-pedal-could-lead-to-fiery-death recall announced last week. The same ones they said would be just fine if sold new at dealerships. Details below. This is turning into the Toyota version of a slow-burning peat fire of public relations. The unintended acceleration caused by either loose floor mats or sticky accelerator pedals has now yielded two voluntary recalls and Federal investigations into the problem. Today, Toyota has announced they're temporarily stopping sales of all the cars involved in the sticky accelerator mechanism problem. Those cars are listed below:

2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla
2009-2010 Matrix
2005-2010 Avalon
Certain 2007-2010 Camry
2010 Highlander
2007-2010 Tundra
2008-2010 Sequoia

Just saw it on CNN as well. I couldn't help but giggle a little. Finally toyota is showing of what "quality" their cars really are.

(more)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:09 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,009 times
Both its reputation and its bottom line are about to take a huge hit. I want to say they should have come clean earlier. But it's clear from this announcement that they still haven't figured out what the problem is, and how to solve it. There are obviously dangerous bugs in the drive-by-wire system they have yet to debug. I hope they figure it out soon. People who currently have Toyotas with this system still have to get to work every day.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times
Wow... I actually feel a little bad for them right now. This is an epic blow to the gut!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Well I guess we can no longer describe Toyotas as boring, utilitarian vehicles- they just might surprise you sometime after you start them up.

Seriously, this is pretty monumental and unprecedented. As a San Diegan, we are more familiar than most with the throttle issues. When a highly trained CHP officer is unable to stop a car I sure as heck wouldn't want to own one.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 PM

469 posts, read 1,869,933 times
Toyota will take a huge hit from this! I wonder if this will effect the resale value of current Toyota owners. Especially trying to sell their vehicle on the private market.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,419 times
Toyota quality is going downhill. They focused too much on trying to gain market share rather than building good cars and let quality slip. In order to keep their image that they brain washed the American people with, they hid issues with their cars from the government and paid people off with millions of dollars to prevent them from reporting problems with their cars. Personally, I think Toyota is responsible for the accelerator problem that killed that San Diego CHP officer. He died because the company paid off thousands of other people complaining about accelerator problems rather than do a nationwide recall. WELL TOYOTA, now everything is exposed.

A 2009 Camry is a bigger piece of junk compared to what you used to make. You are going to become the American auto makers of the 1990's if you stay down this path. I believe Toyota recalled more vehicles than GM, Ford, and Chrysler combined this year.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
I think this can have a negative impact on sales of their current lineup. If not it certainly won't bolster sales, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Toyota quality is going downhill. They focused too much on trying to gain market share rather than building good cars and let quality slip. In order to keep their image that they brain washed the American people with, they hid issues with their cars from the government and paid people off with millions of dollars to prevent them from reporting problems with their cars. Personally, I think Toyota is responsible for the accelerator problem that killed that San Diego CHP officer. He died because the company paid off thousands of other people complaining about accelerator problems rather than do a nationwide recall. WELL TOYOTA, now everything is exposed.

A 2009 Camry is a bigger piece of junk compared to what you used to make. You are going to become the American auto makers of the 1990's if you stay down this path. I believe Toyota recalled more vehicles than GM, Ford, and Chrysler combined this year.

I totally agree, except that I believe they are already at the level of American automakers of the 1990's.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM

174 posts, read 596,585 times
Toyota was once a great car comapny that built a great car for a fair price. Today, they have lost their way. They were so concerned about taking the number 1 spot away from GM as the worlds largest car maker that they started to ignore what made them sucessful: quality and reliable cars. This is going to be a big blow to their reputation.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Toyota Halts Sales Of Eight Vehicles... For Your Protection - Toyota Recall - Jalopnik

Just saw it on CNN as well. I couldn't help but giggle a little. Finally toyota is showing of what "quality" their cars really are.

(more)
You will still see those cars on the road in 15-20 years...unlike some home grown models with bowties and animal head logos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion