Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 PM

2,154 posts, read 3,366,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
and the U.S. car makers will pay the price with continued poor sales and inferior vehicles.
Another misinformed comment based on outdated perception.

Customer satisfaction and conquest sales have increased at both Ford and GM. Every satisfied customer gained also benefits them indirectly through word-of-mouth as they talk with family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers. Depending on how many customers they have gleaned from the Toyota debacle, this could have a significant short-term impact on perception and help generate more sales in the coming months. February sales will tell the real story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,462,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Another misinformed comment based on outdated perception.

Customer satisfaction and conquest sales have increased at both Ford and GM. Every satisfied customer gained also benefits them indirectly through word-of-mouth as they talk with family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers. Depending on how many customers they have gleaned from the Toyota debacle, this could have a significant short-term impact on perception and help generate more sales in the coming months. February sales will tell the real story.
The real story won't be known for many months, not with February sales.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:44 PM

24,497 posts, read 33,247,377 times
Quote:
Toyota is not going to just throw up their hands and fall over dead. I'd say that chances are good Toyotas will be better than ever...and the U.S. car makers will pay the price with continued poor sales and inferior vehicles.
It looks like Toyota is the one making inferior vehicles!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 PM

895 posts, read 2,363,482 times
Last time I checked toyota is not controlled 60% by their government. The american car companies might as well lose their names and just be called "USA cars". Of course when you have government regulation the quality will go up. Toyota faltered for 2 years, and I expect the quality to improve again after this.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It looks like Toyota is the one making inferior vehicles!
No, not by any means. It's just that Toyota was the car maker that the news media chose to single out.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:11 PM

24,497 posts, read 33,247,377 times
Quote:
No, not by any means. It's just that Toyota was the car maker that the news media chose to single out.
Toyota is just better at hiding it. Besides, the media has singled out a car maker before. This is hardly the first time.

And since Toyotas have had more recalls than the cars they have sold, I don't see how they can be called "superior" vehicles.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:58 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,610,496 times
Quote:
Caused by unrelenting pressure from the media and our government, which causes Toyota to respond in order to save their reputation. It's just a vicious cycle that could go on and on. The sad thing about it is - this exact same scenario could be put on most any of the car makers...it just so happens that Toyota was the chosen one.
I can't believe my post was taken so seriously. The meaning of it is that I'm so tired of talking about Toyota recalls. I don't even express my opinion on Toyota here anymore because everyone knows what it is and I have a pretty good knowledge of who here stands where as well.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Toyota is just better at hiding it. Besides, the media has singled out a car maker before. This is hardly the first time.

And since Toyotas have had more recalls than the cars they have sold, I don't see how they can be called "superior" vehicles.

I look for Toyota to move their Toyota quality ratings upward close to, if not equal with, their Lexus brand, which is top rated.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,275,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Last time I checked toyota is not controlled 60% by their government. The american car companies might as well lose their names and just be called "USA cars". Of course when you have government regulation the quality will go up. Toyota faltered for 2 years, and I expect the quality to improve again after this.
Toyota and Honda both receive assistance from the Japanese gov't. And they both received the equivalent of "bailout money" from their gov't. There is nothing magical going on at either company.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM

24,388 posts, read 25,904,801 times
I'm shocked in my daily travels that I don't see Toyota hulks on the side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion