Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 01:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Very well said. The question isn't how many recalls a car has had, but deadly recalls (like Toyota). My Corvette Z06 had a steering column lock recall, Lotus had an ECU dump recall...minor things like this can't be compared to the unintended acceleration found in Toyotas.

Deepcynic, if you're looking for a daily driver, the best choice from the ones you listed is the Ford Fusion. My DD is a '10 Ford Fusion sport, with the 263 hp engine and full sync system. For long trips there isn't anything that could be better and it never gets boring. Don't get a Matrix or anything like that, you'll probably end up regretting it.

For what it's worth, I'm not a "backyard" engineer, I'm a real engineer who has been working with large scale vehicle systems for years and, I would argue, understands vehicle software as well as anyone else on this forum. The reason why I warn about the dangers of Toyotas is because I care.
Sure....uh huh....

I drive one everyday...not one issue. I only do oil changes (reg. maintenance), and that's it.

Some of you, just hate the fact that there are more people driving them, than what TV says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
This says nothing.

1) Toyota didn't start selling vehicles in large numbers in the states until the early to mid 80s, therefore they will obviously have fewer recalls. How far do these recalls go back, the 1960s?

2) Until the last decade, Toyota has historically had fewer models than the Big Three. At its peak, GM had about 80 different vehicles. Statistically, more vehicles and more market share = more recalls.

3) This only quantifies total # of recalls, many of which are minor and not worth noting. How many of those recalls were serious defects that affected driveability or safety of the vehicle? A better comparison would be to tally the total number of vehicles recalled for serious defects per manufacturer.

Until you can answer those questions, this comparison is bunk.

Keep up with the sorry excuses.... (Numbers only lie when they're not in your favor. Sorry excuses.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Really? Which railroad?
LOL... You get a rep for that.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Or exploding gas tanks in a collision (Pinto)...
That was 35 years ago! Not exactly "recent."

Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Sure....uh huh....

I drive one everyday...not one issue. I only do oil changes (reg. maintenance), and that's it.

Some of you, just hate the fact that there are more people driving them, than what TV says.

Keep up with the sorry excuses.... (Numbers only lie when they're not in your favor. Sorry excuses.....)
That's a sorry excuse for a comparison. Compare apples to apples. Start your count at similar times when volumes were at similar levels. Numbers can lie anytime you want them to.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
Toyota Slams Sudden Acceleration Research of Auto Expert as Unrealistic

Automaker Says Prof. Gilbert's Research Into Electronic Throttle Does Not Reflect Real World Conditions

Dr. Shukri Souri, head of electrical and semiconductor research at Exponent, an outside engineering firm that has conducted safety tests for Toyota since being retained last year, said that Gilbert, an auto technology professor at Southern Illinois University, had essentially rewired the car to create an unrealistic condition.

"Dr. Gilbert provided no evidence that his scenario occurs in the real world," said Souri. "I can take a vehicle or appliance, determine what I want it to do and have it do that." Souri said what Gilbert had demonstrated was not evidence of a design flaw.

"It would be unreasonable for a manufacturer to design a strategy for modification that would not occur in the real world," said Souri.

<more>

Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Toyota Slams Sudden Acceleration Research of Auto Expert as Unrealistic

Automaker Says Prof. Gilbert's Research Into Electronic Throttle Does Not Reflect Real World Conditions

Dr. Shukri Souri, head of electrical and semiconductor research at Exponent, an outside engineering firm that has conducted safety tests for Toyota since being retained last year, said that Gilbert, an auto technology professor at Southern Illinois University, had essentially rewired the car to create an unrealistic condition.

"Dr. Gilbert provided no evidence that his scenario occurs in the real world," said Souri. "I can take a vehicle or appliance, determine what I want it to do and have it do that." Souri said what Gilbert had demonstrated was not evidence of a design flaw.

"It would be unreasonable for a manufacturer to design a strategy for modification that would not occur in the real world," said Souri.

<more>
I think it should be noted that Dr. Shouri did NOT say that Dr. Gilbert was wrong...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Just saw an ABC report where Toyota engineers did the same thing, wired up the ECU to make it suddenly excelerate, to a whole bunch of cars of many different makes. Afterward, Dr.Gilbert wouldn't respond to ABC's request for an interview. Makes me go hmmmmm.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Are you being sarcastic? There are several very real engineers on this forum including myself. Plenty of expert opinion to be found here and just because you don't agree with all of it does not make it false.
And we are to take your word for it? I can say that I am an engineer too but does that make me one?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
Yes, he (Dr. Gilbert) probably has not found the problem. But wouldn't the first step towards finding an intermittent problem be to attempt to reproduce it, even by artificial means if needed?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Just saw an ABC report where Toyota engineers did the same thing, wired up the ECU to make it suddenly excelerate, to a whole bunch of cars of many different makes. Afterward, Dr.Gilbert wouldn't respond to ABC's request for an interview. Makes me go hmmmmm.
Poor Dr.Gilbert's 2 minutes of fame are over. Maybe not--I can see him on Celebrity Apprentice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion