Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Funny, just read where the govt's latestcrash test on small trucks, no one did vary good especialy Dodge as there air bags never deployed, said it was a computer glitsh and there working on it. Check it out, it's on edmunds latest web site. They gona have a re-call?

How can I take any post seriously when it ends in the sentence: "They gona have a re-call?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM

122 posts, read 372,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Of course. Toyota still makes the best cars in the world. This is just a recall! If people quit buying GM cars because of recalls, they would have been out of business for decades!
As I have said before. My '99 GMC "ShakeSierra" was the turning point for me to leave GM. I bought a 2001 Ford Supercrew. Better driving truck. THEN, the recalls began on that one. The fuel feedback line, the crews control switch that would catch on fire, etc......
It just happens to be Toyota's turn for something to go wrong. If they take care of it better than GM and Ford did their issues, Toyota will stay on top of the quality polls. This, currently is a "blip" on Toyota's quality control that will be corrected very quickly. Toyota will prevail. They will make it right.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
As I have said before. My '99 GMC "ShakeSierra" was the turning point for me to leave GM. I bought a 2001 Ford Supercrew. Better driving truck. THEN, the recalls began on that one. The fuel feedback line, the crews control switch that would catch on fire, etc......
It just happens to be Toyota's turn for something to go wrong. If they take care of it better than GM and Ford did their issues, Toyota will stay on top of the quality polls. This, currently is a "blip" on Toyota's quality control that will be corrected very quickly. Toyota will prevail. They will make it right.

Blip? Their once stellar quality has been going downhill since about 2005.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
The new Toyotas (as I've said) possess none of the high quality craftsmanship the older models used to have. They are overpriced junk with a Toyota badge.
We'd been looking for the past couple of years for a newer Toyota truck to replace a 1994 Toyota 4wd pickup we have. We drove a new Tacoma. It was too big and we were unimpressed with it anyways.

A couple of months ago we finally bought a 1996 Tacoma xcab 4wd v6 with 130k on it. Our mechanic has been over this truck with a fine tooth comb and it runs great. We have put some work into it: timing belt, clutch, shocks, etc. We plan to use this truck for road trips and camping trips. OMG, this 13 yo truck runs and drives beautifully! We should get another 100k out of it. We have a bit less than $10k into it. Tacomas of all ages are very expensive in these parts.

(Yes we know about the frame rust issues. This is a Colorado truck, hasn't been in salt. We rapped all over the frame with a hammer before we bought it.)

If Toyota was still making small trucks like this we would have bought new.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:21 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
These issues make me question whether Toyota's quality control may have slipped somewhat, but I really doubt that 15 years from now you will still see a bunch of 2010 Toyota's still on the road. Until I start seeing as many old GM and Ford cars on the road as Toyota and Honda I don't think anyone can say that are not more reliable over all.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
IF I was in the market for a new(ish) car, I would snap up a Toyota for sure, especially since the hysteria involved with this recall will drive prices down.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:41 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
IF I was in the market for a new(ish) car, I would snap up a Toyota for sure, especially since the hysteria involved with this recall will drive prices down.
My dad has been saying this...was wondering if you could pick up a Camry on the cheap. I told him you could probably get one for a steal if they were actually selling them.

I'd still rather have a Hyundai Sonata; regardless of the recall, I still think it's the better car by a wide margin.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Nope. Wouldn't buy another one.

Everyone and his brother got all over me because I bought Fords. So I bought a Rav4. I live in the boonies with a lot of un-paved roads that wash out every time it rains and I thought it made sense. So far I've had to replace the carbon filter. Twice. Once on vacation and we were stuck for three days. Drove all the way home waiting for the "check engine" light to come on 200 miles from nowhere.

Now the recall. Not happy at all.

Plus the dash is u-g-l-y.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Until I start seeing as many old GM and Ford cars on the road as Toyota and Honda I don't think anyone can say that are not more reliable over all.
Open your eyes!

You seriously dont see old GMs and Fords on the roadways?? Youre kidding, right? Driving home last Friday night was a retro experience. My buddy and I got talking about the cars we were seeing... 80s Ford Taurus, a Tempo, a gen 1 Astro van, several old Econolines, an IROC-Z, and the winner of the night? A Beretta GTZ. Anyone remember those? I cant tell you how many old American pickup trucks I see on the road every day. They could still probably out-haul most Japanese trucks, even the current ones.

I see far more old American cars on the road than old Japanese cars. Usually the old Japanese cars are burnin so much oil that they look like mosquito foggers, theyre not hard to miss.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Open your eyes!

You seriously dont see old GMs and Fords on the roadways?? Youre kidding, right? Driving home last Friday night was a retro experience. My buddy and I got talking about the cars we were seeing... 80s Ford Taurus, a Tempo, a gen 1 Astro van, several old Econolines, an IROC-Z, and the winner of the night? A Beretta GTZ. Anyone remember those? I cant tell you how many old American pickup trucks I see on the road every day. They could still probably out-haul most Japanese trucks, even the current ones.

I see far more old American cars on the road than old Japanese cars. Usually the old Japanese cars are burnin so much oil that they look like mosquito foggers, theyre not hard to miss.
In the parking garage I park in during the day, there is an old Caprice, a rusty Celebrity, Cougar XR-7 ('84ish), an '85 or '86 Mustang 5.0 notch, a couple old GM trucks from the late 80s-early 90s, an Astro, a Buick Skyhawk, a Chrysler LeBaron, and a mid-80's Ranger among the sea of modern cars. I have yet to see a single pre-1990 Japanese vehicle in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion