Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 AM

2,166 posts, read 3,381,799 times

Advertisements

The saga continues. Will Toyota ever own up to the real cause and do a proper recall?

Quote:
In a rather bizarre instance, a driver reportedly began to experience unintended acceleration from his toyota avalon and was able to drive the car to a nearby dealer with the vehicle still displaying wide open throttle, despite having the floormat removed. Dealer techs witnessed the problem and have reportedly offered to repair the vehicle free of charge.

According to a report from the safety record, on december 29, 2009, the driver of a 2007 toyota avalon experienced a bizarre case of sudden and unintended acceleration while driving on the highway, just miles from a local toyota dealer. The driver managed to switch the vehicle between neutral and drive multiple times, while en route to the dealer in order to show the dealer the problem as it was still occurring.

The driver was able to reach the dealer, place the vehicle into neutral, and allow it to continue operating at wide open throttle. The dealer sent out a tech who verified that the floor mat was removed, and pushing the gas pedal had no effect on the acceleration. The dealer was unable to stop the wide open throttle and was forced to shut the vehicle off.

This incident was apparently not the first for the driver, either, who had been to the dealer before about the problem. The first time the unintended acceleration occurred, the driver was able to slow the vehicle with the brakes and switch the vehicle into neutral – where the engine continued to hit maximum rpms. At the time of the first incident, dealer diagnostics revealed no problems in the computer.

The dealer eventually offered to replace the throttle body, accelerator pedal and associated sensors free of charge for the driver after the second incident.
Quote:
The Safety Record also reported on a one-car crash that occurred in Dallas, Texas the day after Christmas involving a Toyota Avalon.

According to the accident report, the vehicle inexplicably left the road and ended up crashing through a fence, and landing upside down in a pond – killing all four occupants. The floor mats were found in the trunk of the car – ruling out the possibility of the floor mat causing the accident.

The official cause of the Dallas crash has not yet been determined.
Toyota Avalon displays unintended acceleration without floor mat

And some recent cases posted at a Toyota message board
Quote:
Well the fact that Toyota is adding a brake override system to the ECU via Toyota TechStream is a good indication that they are solving an issue without drawing too much attention to it. Some people do place blame on others for their mistakes, but this issue is widespread. ABC duplicated an acceleration issue without having floormats in. There's an ECU bug, and Toyota doesn't want to directly admit it because they'd be liable for MUCH, MUCH more.
Quote:
THis just happened to me today. Except I was just STOPPPED at a Red light idling. THe truck out of the blue reved up, lunged forward rear-ending the guy in front of me. Brakes non effective, eventually I got in park. Yes, all in a matter of 5 seconds or so. Sounds to me like a random electronic thing as I have not had an issue in 2 1/2yrs. Why now? In my case...mats aren't the issue nor is it driver error. Having your foot on the brake pedal firmly waiting for the red light to turn green does not equate to wrongly pressing the gas pedal.
Class action suit filed against Toyota over sudden acceleration claims - Page 4 - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times
This is one of the most epic blunders in automotive history and Toyota is handling it quite poorly.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Hmm, sounds like what I said in a previous post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post11100579

Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,166,713 times
hold on. let me throw on my 'surprised' face.

i'd just love to see the media take this and run with it like they did with Ford and the Explorer/Firestone thing back in the 90s. partially because i think it's only fair, but mostly because people need to know and take appropriate measures.

Mike

Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,851,181 times
Oh, come on, it is a Toyota. Its gotta be the drivers....

No really, it will take a long time because now it has been ingrained in everybody's brain that Toyota's are great cars.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
There is no reliable source here, except for you Japanese haters.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:55 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,009 times
I'm not surprised. The secular trend towards drive-by-wire meant that catastrophic software problems were bound to happen sometime, and the Achilles heel of Japanese companies has tended to be software rather than hardware. Going back to the San Diego Lexus crash that involved four fatalities, I never found it credible that a state trooper could have been foiled by a floor mat.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:16 PM

155 posts, read 196,736 times
These cars should be taken off the roads/

Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
These cars should be taken off the roads/
Why Toyota is in the process of fixing the problem with new floor mats and shortened accelerator pedals. I'd much rather be driving a Toyota than a Ford. Remember the Pinto

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM

155 posts, read 196,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Why Toyota is in the process of fixing the problem with new floor mats and shortened accelerator pedals. I'd much rather be driving a Toyota than a Ford. Remember the Pinto
Why are you bringing up Ford's? I have not heard of a similar problem in the Ford line of vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion