Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which manufacturer will benefit most from Toyota's problems?
GM 5 9.26%
Ford 22 40.74%
Honda/ Acura 17 31.48%
Hyundai/ Kia 7 12.96%
Mazda 1 1.85%
Nissan 1 1.85%
Dodge/ Chrysler 0 0%
other 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,093,766 times

Advertisements

I say Ford. And I am not a Ford fan. That's my genuinely unbiased opinion.

I think this is about more than just Toyota and Ford, though. This is the beginning of the end to the perception that Japanese cars are reliable and U.S. cars are not. Ford happens to be making a strong recovery and is making outstanding cars, so the timing could not be better. Other car makers may also benefit, but Ford will lead as American car shoppers loose faith in the Japanese and gain faith in the American companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,595,024 times
Ford is going to keep rising and stomping its competition. Glad to see the American public supporting American products.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,383,674 times
I think Ford will pick up huge sales at home with the Ford Fiesta, a product that has done quite well in Europe. They'll also pick up truck and mid-sized cars now that the F150 is still king of the road in the USA and the Fusion is doing well and is getting good reviews.

And Ford will pick up sales from people who simply admire the company for not taking out government loans.

Hyundai and Honda will pick up the others who simply cannot fathom any American car maker making a quality product

Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,544,620 times
^ That's good news here locally since the Fiesta for the North America market will be assembled in Louisville at a plant that formerly made the Explorer.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,860,900 times
Personally, I'm sticking with Toyota...I love my Toyota and have no fears about buying another. But I highly doubt that Toyota owners looking to move to another brand will start buying UAW Big 3 garbage. I think the most obvious benefactor of ex-Toyota owners would be Honda. Potentially Nissan as well.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I say Ford. And I am not a Ford fan. That's my genuinely unbiased opinion.

I think this is about more than just Toyota and Ford, though. This is the beginning of the end to the perception that Japanese cars are reliable and U.S. cars are not. Ford happens to be making a strong recovery and is making outstanding cars, so the timing could not be better. Other car makers may also benefit, but Ford will lead as American car shoppers loose faith in the Japanese and gain faith in the American companies.
Ford really doesn't make good cars...its only real reliable cars its made over the years have been its models that use Mazda engines. Otherwise, Ford has a crappy track record with cars. Trucks, on the other hand, Ford makes great reliable trucks...why this hasn't carried over to their cars is beyond me.

And the reality is that the Japanese companies DO make more reliable, long lasting cars. Its not perception.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Ford is going to keep rising and stomping its competition. Glad to see the American public supporting American products.
Does that include Fords made in Mexico? How is a Ford made in Mexico or a Buick made in China an "American made" product, but not my Honda which was made in Ohio or my Toyota made in California?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM

10,184 posts, read 20,828,897 times
I personally feel that Honda will benefit most. The folks who will turn their backs on Toyota originally bought into Toyota to avoid the American brands which lacked in quality and there hasn't been enough time to determine if they will hold up past the warranty. They would likely take their business to Honda, or maybe even Hyundai which is growing in popularity. Subaru stands to gain as well. Of the American companies, I can see Ford and Chevy doing well. Especially since Chevy upgraded their warranties. However GM just had a huge recall as well.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,391,235 times
I don't know if someone already said this, but sales at Ford are way up since the recalls. I should have bought Ford stock.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,544,620 times
Found this interesting table of the best selling vehicles in the US ranked by February 2010 sales. The leading percent gainers year to date was the Subaru Outback (+136%), Nissan Versa (+130.1%), & Ford Fusion (+116%). The biggest losers were the Dodge Ram (-29%), Toyota Camry (-19.8%), and Toyota Corolla (-6.1%). The only other with a loss was the Honda CRV (-4%)

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion