Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,383,852 times

Advertisements

I tried the Platinum +4 on an Eclipse I had and it fried the coil pack somehow. Do not know how it happened. After that never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,554,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Add me to the Bosch +4 troubles. They are garbage.
Did you have similar problems with Bosch's single ground electrode design (Platinum Plus, pictured below)? Or did this experience make you swear off Bosch plugs altogether?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,950,086 times
I have put Bosch Platinum plugs in several cars and have never changed plugs again. these things seem to work forever.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM

143 posts, read 743,099 times
most of the problems with bosch,is that the productionline is different from others such as NGK. they press it together in several pieces,but others are made in one piece.and the considerating the hot enviroment they are in,that will not be good.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,205,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
most of the problems with bosch,is that the productionline is different from others such as NGK. they press it together in several pieces,but others are made in one piece.and the considerating the hot enviroment they are in,that will not be good.
i don't understand this. how do you make a spark plug 'in one piece'? it's comprised of several different materials, including various metals and ceramics.

Mike

Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,554,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I made the stupid mistake of putting Bosch +4s in my old Toyota Tercel. They fouled within six months. I couldn't figure out why my car was running so poorly, and the plugs didn't enter my mind because they were so new, and had low miles.

I took the car to a mechanic, and he called me 15 minutes later telling me the problem was the Bosch plugs. He said to NEVER use Bosch "plus" plugs on ANYTHING, and to use only NGK or Nippondenso plugs on Toyotas. He recommends OEM plugs for all cars. You should never change brands.
Could your problems have been caused by under- or over-torquing? I'm guessing that you installed the Bosch plugs, and your mechanic installed the NGK or Denso plugs.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM

1,773 posts, read 4,874,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I get all kinds of fear and loathing on forums about using non-OEM plugs with imports (especially Toyotas and Corollas), and occasionally, a serious dislike for Bosch products. Is there any validity to their negative views? Does Autolite play well with Toyota Corollas? Or am I pretty much better off with NGK's and Denso's?
It has been a few years since I owned it, but my 87 turbo 4runner ran WAAAY better with NGK plugs than autolite or bosch

Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,323,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Did you have similar problems with Bosch's single ground electrode design (Platinum Plus, pictured below)? Or did this experience make you swear off Bosch plugs altogether?
I have not used the ones like in your picture. This is the kind I have had trouble with.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:35 PM

143 posts, read 743,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i don't understand this. how do you make a spark plug 'in one piece'? it's comprised of several different materials, including various metals and ceramics.

Mike
of course they dont produce several goods in one piece. the metalcomponents are.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:40 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,917,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have not used the ones like in your picture. This is the kind I have had trouble with.
That reminds me of those old POS Splitfires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion