Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,898,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post

I'm not an engineer, are you?

I am a two degree engineer and a member of SAE (society of automotive engineers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:23 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,934,633 times
these links are not proof.

In one of these cases, it seems there's no confirmation the vehicle was even a Toyota, and in another, a woman hit a concrete divider as she turned. Hardly a vehicular defect ?

These are pure conjecture.

Anyone remember the days when "you could catch AIDS from a toilet seat", and "get pregnant by French kissing".

Media generated hysteria, that's all it is.

I wish it would just go away, because it's growing ever more tiresome.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,898,805 times
People driving cars into homes, businesses etc has been happening for 50 years.. In the past it was just blamed on driver error(mostly older people, who swear they were on the brakes when in reality they were on the gas) who mistake the gas and brake but today we just blame(or try to) the manufacture so that we can get some $$ for making a mistake.. Sounds right to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
these links are not proof.

In one of these cases, it seems there's no confirmation the vehicle was even a Toyota, and in another, a woman hit a concrete divider as she turned. Hardly a vehicular defect ?

These are pure conjecture.

Anyone remember the days when "you could catch AIDS from a toilet seat", and "get pregnant by French kissing".

Media generated hysteria, that's all it is.

I wish it would just go away, because it's growing ever more tiresome.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,229,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I am a two degree engineer and a member of SAE (society of automotive engineers)
Really? What Engineering discipline are your degrees in?

Being an Engineer, why is it you don't think there could possibly be a problem with Toyotas electrical systems?

I mean mistaking the gas for the brake in this many cases is a pretty far stretch unless your 80 years old.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:23 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,235,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Being an Engineer, why is it you don't think there could possibly be a problem with Toyotas electrical systems?
I have spoken with fellow Electrical and MicroElectronic engineers on this issue and most of us are pretty convinced that it's a circuit problem. That is, with the limited information that we have available. We could be wrong but to rule it out would be absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,740,878 times
The investigations are still going on...it's just the media hype that has stopped. I thought and still do think that there is: 1. an issue and 2. that it most likely has nothing to do with floormats or sticky pedals.

I was just reading a report a few days ago that was talking about how a good portion of people who experienced sudden acceleration (whether there was an accident or not) had recently driven through areas that have strong electrical fields like from high tension wires...just a theory.

We'll see where it all goes. Personally I am tired of beating the horse until some new information comes out.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,981,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
do your homework. So far every one has come up as driver error.. no software issues, no pedal issues.. Nothing.. Thank goodness for the black boxes.. A few examples are.. The Lexus that was going down the ca highway over 100 and 4 people tragically lost their lives, the rav4 that hit a building, the housekeeper who crashed the prius, the runaway prius on the ca highway.
That CA highway vehicle was driven by a California Highway Patrol officer. So you are saying a cop who DRIVES all damn day didn't know how to stop his vehicle? Really? You sincerly want to say that?

I work in the auto insurance field and this issue has become a massive hassle. There have been cases where we have determined something occurred due to malfunction not driver error. I can care less how many degrees you have, I have dealt with these issues personally. With that being said, stop pretending you know everything. You are just making s*it up.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,588,288 times
So people are still blaming their Toyotas even when they are obviously at fault.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:41 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,229,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I have spoken with fellow Electrical and MicroElectronic engineers on this issue and most of us are pretty convinced that it's a circuit problem. That is, with the limited information that we have available. We could be wrong but to rule it out would be absolutely ridiculous.
Exactly.

I'm no engineer but I would guess that some problem does in fact exist. All of these cases cannot simply be driver error.

I leave it to the Engineers to find out the problem but Frankgn claims to be an Engineer and claims there is no problem.

Until the Engineers figure it out, I wouldn't rule out any possibilities.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:54 PM

211 posts, read 641,664 times
What gets me is that there are now NASA scientists involved in this.

Occam's Razor, folks.

Which is more likely, that Toyota has willfully withheld information which documents a known electro-mechanical flaw across nearly EVERY model they make, or that solar flares, gamma radiation, and planetary alignments have caused radioactive interference to mysteriously cause random, sustained electronic failures which have resulted in dozens of deaths in the United States (out of tens of millions of owners in the US and abroad), or that some people just screwed up and natural selection is a tough old bird to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion