Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,936,354 times

Advertisements

FYI- the american company who makes the Toyota gas pedals in 'question' absolutely denies that their pedals are an issue and claim that all the tests on them came up inconclusive. Toyota is doing spin control to appease the public and chose the pedal manufacture to blame, instead of telling the truth that its driver error at blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I've had my computer for 4 years now, and, guess what, all of a sudden, there's a problem with the hard drive.

From what I understand of the whole thing, it seems there are only two companies in the US who actually manufacture the equipment for the throttles, so, consequently, if it is proven there is a fault, then it's likely that many US based manufacturers will be affected.

Again, my understanding with Toyota is that, while they suffered less reported incidents than GM, they took longer to address the problem.
Maybe they were covering up, maybe they wanted to wait to be sure, because of the inevitable damage to corporate image.

Or, here's the shocker, folks.

Maybe, just maybe, there actually isn't a major flaw with the cars, and they didn't actually need to have a knee jerk reaction

The lemmings comment in the post above is correct.

Don't believe everything which is written in the papers, most of it is rumour, counter rumour, and personal opinion, and it is not in the interests of consumer safety, but for the sole purpose of selling newspapers, and attracting viewers to TV shows.

Have a look on the dictionary for "sensationalism"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:15 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,917,344 times
wheres all the old 'run away Toyota' posts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
hmmmm.. Guess this 'problem' just went away??

actually it was never an issue..
Everyone else has moved on.

Then some so-called engineer (really? for which railroad?) has to bring it back up just trying to start something

Happy now?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,949,535 times
I'm not sure what your point is ?

The early failures with Toyota throttle pedals were down to condensation meaning the mechanical parts of the throttle mechanism were poorly lubricated, and could potentially stick.
If this affected Toyota, it must have affected other manufacturers too ?

I'm not blaming the manufacturer, and I'm not blaming Toyota.
Largely because I don't care, and largely because it seems that, tragic as the accidents are, they could not have been foreseen, and, like it or not, ALL companies involved in the whole panicfest are doing their bit to see that it's put right.

My post is not a rant against any of the companies involved, but about the over hyped media sensationalism, and large scale ignorance of the world to the actual facts.

Personally, yes, I think there is a problem with the design somewhere down the line, not just Toyota, but everyone who uses it, but I also think that it will be proven that driver error was a factor in many of these cases.

(BTW, "inconclusive" is not the same as "NOT")

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
FYI- the american company who makes the Toyota gas pedals in 'question' absolutely denies that their pedals are an issue and claim that all the tests on them came up inconclusive. Toyota is doing spin control to appease the public and chose the pedal manufacture to blame, instead of telling the truth that its driver error at blame.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:32 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,932,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Another interesting issue is that its only the Toyotas made in the US, not in any other country...
I realize this forum is US-centric, but things do happen in other countries. For example: Europeans warned of Toyota pedals well before US - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100407/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall - broken link)

or this:

motoring.co.za - Norwegian police probe 'out-of-control' Prius

Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 AM

Another person without the brains to simply stick it in neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,258,883 times
Quote:

Either way it is a horrific malfunction (when it does occur) that no one should have to deal with in the first place.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM

Yes, but it's a horrific malfunction which could happen on ANY car.

I've been driving some 25 years now, and I've had it happen twice on cable operated throttle systems, when the cable has broken, or frayed, and got jammed at full throttle.

I've also had it happen on a motorcycle, which wasn't pleasant.

Maybe we can look at how drivers are educated, rather than 100% blaming it on the company. I'm not saying they're totally innocent, mind, I'm undecided either way.
Any driver should have the forethought to shift to neutral in an emergency such as this, and it says more about the people who didn't.

Pilots are trained in simulators to recreate failures and emergencies, they spend hours learning how to react, why can't drivers be ?

Spoons don't make people fat, remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Either way it is a horrific malfunction (when it does occur) that no one should have to deal with in the first place.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
wheres all the old 'run away Toyota' posts??

Everyone else has moved on.

Then some so-called engineer (really? for which railroad?) has to bring it back up just trying to start something

Happy now?

Septa.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
don't you know.. "it will flip" if he puts in in neutral

Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM

What I'm more interested in regarding the sudden acceleration stuff is the psychological effect.

You book your car into a garage, when you get it back, you listen intently for new noises, if you're paranoid enough, you will hear them, even if they're old noises you've got used to.

You're working on something, and cut your finger, you don't notice. Suddenly, you see the blood, then you notice that it hurts like a bas*ard !!

You've had a Toyota for years, it's been fine, then you hear all these horror stories, it must have some kind of psychological impact, maybe it's behind some of the folk who appear to outright panic.

See where i'm going ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion