Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 AM

15,448 posts, read 25,892,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
On the one hand, if a vehicle comes equipped with stability control, it bloody well ought to work. On the other, to call a vehicle "dangerous" because it doesn't sufficiently babysit the driver is alarmist nonsense.
Agreed. That's one reason, among many, many others, I don't bother with CR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I believe the year Yaris CR tested was before it had stability control. Even so, I did not exhibit the tail slide nearly as bad.

One question I have is if CR tested more than one of them. Could it have possibly been a problem eith the ESC system on the tested vehicle only?
The Yaris is STILL not a recommended vehicle. It was criticized for poor ride and handling and many other things not related to ESC.

Re the Lexus GX - the CR video says they tested two vehicles and both behaved the same.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
That like saying that Cadillacs are just Chevy's with leather seats and Lincolns are just Fords with leather seats. We know that these statements aren't true.
Lincoln is far closer to Ford than Lexus is to Toyota. There are ZERO Lincolns that are not based on a comparable Ford.

Navigator = overweight and gadget infested Expedition
Aviator = loaded Explorer
MKX = Edge
MKZ = Taurus (although the MKZ had Ecoboost first)
Towncar = Crown Vic
MKT = Flex
MKS = Fusion

Lincoln has no engines unique to itself, while Lexus engines are almost always more powerful than Toyota.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,647,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Yaris is STILL not a recommended vehicle. It was criticized for poor ride and handling and many other things not related to ESC.

Re the Lexus GX - the CR video says they tested two vehicles and both behaved the same.
Regarding the Yaris...I was replying to a comment made about it's "emergency handling" only.

Well, if they did get the same results with two, then Toyota has messed up yet again.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM

404 posts, read 1,561,107 times
i saw one of these models on the road today and took a good look. its certainly not the type of vehicle to be driven aggressively in turns and bends. the video looks as if the driver / tester just robbed a bank and is trying to make a get away. should simply "easing" up on the throttle in a turn cause it to lose control, stability system or not? i would say looking at the thing you might even expect it to lose control. should it ROLL over? it just might, i would think

the vehicle looks top heavy to me. i'm no engineer obviously, but it has tall glass and what appears to be a "high" roof in relation to its belt line. just looking at the monstrosity would suggest to drive it carefully, not aggressively enough to roll it

but if it COULD roll, the question must be asked. and that is why would anyone sell a vehicle that even might roll in certain situations under what many would consider "normal" driving. even if you did take that turn just a little too fast. is it absolutely necessary to sell a vehicle which might roll when taking a corner at what in a car would be considered a safe speed? and with all the choices out there, does anyone really need or want a vehicle which "might" get you hurt or killed in otherwise normal driving situations?

on and on it goes. i think this has some merit, but on the other hand.....just drive safely according to the limits of your vehicle, everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion