Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,463,113 times

Advertisements

Scion tC Convertible: First Look at the Youth Brand's Future Drop Top
Is Toyota trying to bring back the Celica via Scion? They've given it the right amount of horsepower (180 for 2011 for a small sporty car) and a convertable option. But when I look at the Scion tC, it just doesn't look or feel as sporty as almost all the previous Toyota Celicas. It just seems that the tC was a competitor for the two door Civic without an Si competitor unless you buy Toyota aftermarket parts. The 2011 tC engine has hp close to Si levels but will it have the handling capabilities of the Si and will the coupe version have enough flair to appeal to the young tuner crowd? The photos I saw of the 2011 version of the tC didn't seem any different from the 2010 model. Photos can be deceptive but it just didn't seem much different. Another problem for the tC is Honda has a four door Civic Si which adds practicality to a great handling package, something Toyota doesn't offer with the Corolla. The reviews I've read of the Corolla XRS said it's handling wasn't anywhere near as sporty as the Si.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,345,785 times
Yeah this thing is a total dissapointment IMHO. I was expecting something new and pretty upbeat, but this is literally the old TC with sharper lines and a few tweeks. It's funny, but Scion has quickly caught up with the rest of Toyota and has become almost as bland.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,146,223 times
ugh.

Mike

Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 AM

When Toyota canceled the Celica, I had hoped that the tC could eventually become a valid replacement for the Celica with Scion being their youth oriented sub-brand. Another problem with the Tc is it is getting the 180hp with the Toyota Camry 2.4L engine. The Civic Si gets more than that with a smaller engine and without direct inject, turbo, or super charger.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When Toyota canceled the Celica, I had hoped that the tC could eventually become a valid replacement for the Celica with Scion being their youth oriented sub-brand. Another problem with the Tc is it is getting the 180hp with the Toyota Camry 2.4L engine. The Civic Si gets more than that with a smaller engine and without direct inject, turbo, or super charger.
well, aside from power, the fit and finish of the Civic puts the Scion to shame. in fairness, the Si is a much more expensive car, but it is night and day. i had the chance to drive a co-worker's new Si sedan the other day and was thoroughly impressed. everything feels so much......tighter. i don't know how else to describe it. it's not harsh, but you can tell it's sport-oriented. and that little engine just begs to be pegged out. hitting VTEC is a blast. of course, i had to follow that up by crawling back into my xB (yes, i know it's not the tC), and immediately felt the difference. by comparison, my car feels sloppy and slapped together. while the extra torque of the 2.4 is obvious, it's just not an engine that feels like it wants to go. the Honda sings to redline. the Scion feels like asking anything more than part-throttle is some huge burden.

in short, Toyota still needs a sporty small car. i don't necessarily think it's fair to say the tC is a disappointment, but it's not competition for the Si. here's hoping the AE86 we keep hearing about turns things around and gets some excitement back into a brand that used to know a thing or two about making a fun car.

Mike

Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 AM

The torque in the 2.4 is fine for the Corolla. In fact, if it isn't, the 2.4 should be an engine option for the Corolla XLE, the Corolla's luxuary model. Personally, I think Toyota should drop the Corolla XRS and all it's plastic bolt on pieces. Corolla is as sporty as a block of wood. Corolla doesn't need to be sporty. It's an affordable appliance. The tC was suppose to be a sporty coupe. Fire it's designers and engineers cause they're obviously clueless.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The tC was suppose to be a sporty coupe. Fire it's designers and engineers cause they're obviously clueless.
I dunno know about that one. I mean, yes, the tC is meant to be a sporty car. No denying that. But, the entire point of the Scion line-up is to appeal to those who wish to modify the vehicle anyway. The thought process seemed to be to put on cheaper stuff because a) it makes the vehicle more affordable and therefore more accessible to its target demographic and b) the stock stuff probably wouldn't stay that long anyway.

I would bet that a tC, modded with all the TRD goodies, is quite a competent little car. Heck it may even give the Si a run for its money. But then the price is much closer to the Si and the owner is then buying the car with all the stuff 'done to it'.

What happened, though, is that Toyota got rid of the 'complete car' when they got rid of the Celicas and the MR-2s. Someone at some point decided the tC could fit both bills, and it really doesn't. At least, not in the form it comes off the lot.

Mike

Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,096,671 times
Toyota really needs to keep Scion as an inexpensive youth brand. They created it to attract younger, newer buyers.

The problem is this young and somewhat hip group don't find the more upscale Toyotas interesting.

The last Celica was a very good looking sporty car. It still looks good and fresh - so much better than an Eclipse. Toyota desperately needs a fun Toyota-brand car.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,107,018 times
Is this going to be another ASC-converted floppy fish?

Old 04-22-2010, 05:27 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,878,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Toyota really needs to keep Scion as an inexpensive youth brand. They created it to attract younger, newer buyers.

The problem is this young and somewhat hip group don't find the more upscale Toyotas interesting.

The last Celica was a very good looking sporty car. It still looks good and fresh - so much better than an Eclipse. Toyota desperately needs a fun Toyota-brand car.
Toyota needs a new Supra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion