Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,394 times

Advertisements

DH and I are traveling to Albuquerque, Las Cruces, and Las Vegas this summer, one week in each city. We want to be assured of a clean comfortable room (especially comfortable bedding). But we don't want to pay $100 plus dollars a night just for the room. Is it worthwhile to use priceline or hotwire?
For those that have, were you satisfied? Or does anyone know of a hotel in particular in any of these cities that is clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced? Also have seen some advertisements for vacation condos on craigslist. Anyone ever use them? Any advice, suggestion is welcomed, thanks in advance, whitelotus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
When used in conjunction with Better Bidding, you can figure out which hotel you get. We use Priceline for 90% of our hotel bookings, and most of our car rentals. Haven't had a bad experience yet!

Priceline and Hotwire Forum

Old 06-20-2010, 11:40 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
DH and I are traveling to Albuquerque, Las Cruces, and Las Vegas this summer, one week in each city. We want to be assured of a clean comfortable room (especially comfortable bedding). But we don't want to pay $100 plus dollars a night just for the room. Is it worthwhile to use priceline or hotwire?
For those that have, were you satisfied? Or does anyone know of a hotel in particular in any of these cities that is clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced? Also have seen some advertisements for vacation condos on craigslist. Anyone ever use them? Any advice, suggestion is welcomed, thanks in advance, whitelotus
In general, yes. Priceline and Hotwire are great as long as you remember that the reservations are NONCANCELLABLE and NONREFUNDABLE. Look at the websites - Biddingfortravel (especially the FAQs) and Betterbidding. In Albuquerque and Las Cruces, I have been able to get 2.5 to 3* hotels for $35-45 during the summer months.

I do NOT recommend using Hotwire and Priceline for Las Vegas as they generally will NOT get you some of the best deals. You are better off doing the following:

1) Go onto the website of the places you would like to stay and sign up for all of the e-mail deals that are available.
2) Try to schedule your visit SUnday - Thursday.
3) Do not limit yourself to Strip properties if you will have a car.
4) Tripres.com also has some pretty good deals.
5) Check out the Las Vegas Deals at Fatwallet.com.

On my last visit last summer, I averaged under $50 per night at the Orleans, Gold Coast, etc.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Go 1 Rating higher then there ratings. Have found that they seem to inflate there rating in relationship to other rating sites Want a 3 book a 3.5 on there site(s)

Old 06-20-2010, 12:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
I went to Priceline, just to check on car rental costs a few weeks to a month ago. Enterprise then had the lowest price, and that was even before I would have bid it down.

Once I actually had my new driver's license in hand (*and that was a bit of a hassle*), I checked with Enterprise first, and the price had more than tripled. I went to Priceline and named my own price--about half of what it would have been. And it was accepted. So, for me, it was well worth doing. It was still more than the first price I was quoted weeks ago, but a lot less than my new quote.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,394 times
Thanks to all of you who made these great suggestions, will follow up.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Are you familiar with VRBO? You could get on the website and look at availability in the cities you want to visit. Usually they are weekly or longer rentals but you might be able to get 3 or 4 nighters.
It may take a little time between contact/response/agreement, etc. but if you have the time to invest, it's worth checking.

Some people have had bad experiences with VRBO but most have not. There is a thread or two on the forum (somewhere) where VRBO stories were exchanged.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:04 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
I love Priceline. I use it all the time, probably over half of my hotels come via Priceline. If you arent concerned with extra where you are going to stay, it works great. The quality of the hotels they give you is good too. Ive really never gotten a dump off Priceline and ive gotten some really nice upgrades. Really nice Hamptons, Hiltons, Marriotts, etc for half or less of the rack rate (i always check the rack rate after i get a reservations so i can feel good about myself, haha). Ive only used Hotwire a few times and it worked fine too. Similar thing except they give you the price so you dont have to mess around with bidding.

I agree with the above poster about not using Priceline for Vegas. If you are going to Vegas, staying anywhere except right on the Strip is a big mistake and if you Priceline it i bet you will end up off Strip. Dont take that chance. There are some cheapish options on the Strip. Ive stayed at the Tropicana twice and they usually have some good deals in the summer. I think i got the place for like $40 a night for a week once.

Ive never liked the Bidding for Travel and those sites. They are kinda hard for me to navigate and figure out exactly whats up. They havent been helpful for me is all. Anyways, have fun.

G Man

Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
There someone out there that pay's rack rate? I'd walk out before i did that.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post

I agree with the above poster about not using Priceline for Vegas. If you are going to Vegas, staying anywhere except right on the Strip is a big mistake and if you Priceline it i bet you will end up off Strip.

If you bid correctly, you can ensure you end up on the strip, Priceline has that option. We've gotten the Venetian for $40/night and the Bellagio for $45/night, just to give you examples, by selecting Strip only. I highly recommend Priceline for Vegas, those deals are hard to beat. You just have to know how to bid correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel