Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 26,118 times

Advertisements

Get away from everyone (i.e. visit remote places)
or
Stay near everyone? (i.e. visit large cities)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I like a mixture of both. I love big cities (NYC, Paris, etc.) but sometimes it's nice to get away to more remote areas. I don't like AIs and will never stay at one. I want to be able to experience the culture of the place I'm visiting and not be in a place with all tourists! We're those people that travel way off the beaten path at all our destinations and have experienced so much of the world's local neighborhoods because of this. Kind of like if you go to NYC and only see Times Square, you missed an entire city!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 26,118 times
I prefer more remote, desolate places. I just got back from Rangiroa (about 2hr flight north from Tahiti), but i do like visiting some big cities from time to time.

Here's some images from RANGIROA if anyone is interested
Rangiroa, Dec. 2009 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostnparadise/sets/72157622965401667/ - broken link)

Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I prefer traveling in large cities making short visits to small surrounding villages, but I could never spend an entire trip in isolation, but I do travel alone majority of the time.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Road trips in rural places.

Not a city person. Can't really get into big city life.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:25 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I like a mixture of both . Big cities for shorter breaks and more rural locations for longer vacations usually but still within access to a city.

Hubby and I do mostly home ( and car) exchanges and enjoy seeing each place with a bit more local insight which is the attraction to us. Crowded resorts, cruises etc...lying on a beach is just not for us.

We like to get out and about and discover the area we visit , meeting the locals, eating local food and exploring the historical sites and countryside. Both of us love Wildlife watching so we need to have access to the more rural areas. I can't imagine spending 4 weeks in a city as a vacation. I would get extremely stressed . But on the other hand I love architecture, visiting museums, art galleries, going to concerts, the opera, the theatre etc...

A mixture of both is important to me but if I have to pick one I would take rural as I live a reasonably urban lifestyle the rest of the year. There is something quite wodnerful about feeling you are getting away from it all and leaving the modern world behind sometimes.

As long as I don't have to spend any time in a beach resort or on a cruise ship I will be relatively easy to please though. Those faceless blands huge hotels devoid of character and removed from the local community make me shudder. Everything I loathe and despise about the tourism industry. My idea of luxurious heaven is either a small intimate B&B or small boutique hotel . Over-developed places are not for me. I have been to so many places ( like the Mayan Riviera for example) which would have been so beautiful 100 years ago before the horrors of mass tourism . To me those places are just hideous. Really, really ugly.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Both. Our holidays have ranged from safaris in Africa, day trips to Paris, Sydney, coastal villages, rural, quiet islands, kayaking in the Gulf. I like to get to know the culture of a country and mingle with locals.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Road trips in rural places.
Am also very much in this camp. I am a bit contrarian, and my mode of vacation travel is not for everyone. I drive the American West, have not been on an airplane in many years, and the more remote the area the better. If possible, avoid both interstate highways and big cities. Big cities are gotten through as quickly as possible if they cannot be avoided. This type of travel often means staying in run down budget motels and eating in greasy spoon mom and pop coffee shops. Have seen many wonderful sights and met some interesting people on these "Call of the Open Road" long drives, but again, this kind of travel is only for rather adventurous types that can rough it a bit and do not require big city amenities and attractions.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Am also very much in this camp. I am a bit contrarian,
...If possible, avoid both interstate highways and big cities.
Big cities are gotten through as quickly as possible if they cannot be avoided. ...met some interesting people ...
While I like both, I would fall into this camp if I had to chose. I drive through most big cities in the late night or early morning. I did NYC from 5AM to noon on a Sunday and saw plenty. Tho I did just return from a week in SF, it is actually quite a small 'Big' city. Phoenix, LA, Memphis, Altanta, Detroit, Bangkok, Taipei are some of my least favorite cities. They go ON and on and ON...

"Help, Get me outta here" I don't do stoplights and traffic jams.

I do like DC area, but I usually use transit.

Give me a nice day on the prairie anytime.
EnchantedHighway.net -- Enchanted Highway in Regent, North Dakota

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
The only two types of travel I like are travel I don't have to pay for or meaningful travel. Travel I don't have to pay for is company travel so my transportation and lodging are free and I can eat in nice restaurants on the boss's dime. Meaningful travel is that travel to see relatives or meaningful places in my or my family's past.

I've never been out of the US (except a couple quick trips to Canada and Mexico) yet I have no really big desire to see Europe or Asia or anywhere else. I am satisfied visiting them online. It's not worth the expense or long plane rides. Same for long camping trips - I've already camped enough. I have no interest in making a special trip to any cities in the US. I've been to most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel