Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times

Advertisements

On other thread, some people were discussing that and I thought it would be worth it opening a new one.

Is traveling (especially overseas, no matter where you are from) a priority in your life? How so?

Please take a few minutes to elaborate on your answer. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I would call it a priority. I definitely budget for it and research my trips to get the most out of them.

I travel every year at least once, usually twice. Last year I visited Napa, Puerto Rico (including some decidedly non-tourist areas), Portland/Walla Walla, New York City, The Adirondacks, and Key West. And I feel like I'm forgetting something. Some trips were a week or more, others were long weekends.

Next year we're going to southern CA, the Bahamas (cruise), and someplace else yet to be determined--possibly Canada.

2012 takes us to Napa, then we'll spend a week in Rome and Tuscany prior to driving to Venice and getting on a cruise ship that makes stops in Croatia and the Greek isles, then another couple of days in Athens before we fly home. I don't think we'll go anywhere else that year, but who knows?

In 2013 we're completely up in the air.

In 2014 we're debating between two weeks in Alaska and Vancouver, or two weeks in Paris and Epernay, or a river barge cruise through France or Holland. Decisions, decisions.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,542 times
I like to go on a Vacation when I can. When My Wife and I go to Daytona in September,It will be the second Vacation We've went on this Year(We went to Walt Disney World in May).

Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
YES! We have to go somewhere, every year. Sometimes twice a year. It keeps us sane.
This year we are going to Aruba, then a month later going to PA, to visit family, then going to Niagra Falls (never been there). Usually we go to Hawaii every year ( I was raised there and just miss it) and then go out of country once a year, although the past 2 years haven't happened with leaving the country, except for going to Canada.

Last edited by Waianaegirl; 07-08-2010 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Left something out

Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Yes, it is definitely a priority, always has been. My parents enjoyed exploring other places, and they passed this love on to me. Travel, for them and for me, was more than just a commodity, a mental checklist pf the Louvre in Paris or the David in Florence. It was meeting new people, trying new foods, getting lost in Ireland.

As a United Airlines brat I traveled a lot as a kid, then later as a young adult.
I visited a boyfriend in England, was an au pair in Spain, and when I finally met the guy who turned out to be my husband, he had itchy feet too.

We raised our kids the same way, and now one of them lives across the Atlantic, so travel is more important than ever.

I don't have a lot of fancy clothes, and our house could probably use a coat of paint. Ah well.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Absolutely important - makes you a well rounded person to travel US and abroad, imo. I think your lifeis incomplete if you haven't done so.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:50 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
I live to travel. My job has me on the road up to 350 days a year. Currently I fly between Europe and Africa twice a week. With all this traveling for work, one would think I would want to stay home on my few days off each year. That is not the case. As I am typing this, I am on a week off. Only stayed home for 2 days and then flew to the East Coast for the remaining 5 days. Rented a car and hit the highway.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
Travel is my passion and that of my partner. There is rarely a month when I don't take advantage of my travel benefits and somewhat flexible schedule and buzz off to some place or another. Since January, I have been to Newfoundland, Prague, Zurich, Paris, San Antonio, Memphis, Newport RI and Bermuda. I love seeing this great big world and there are still a lot of places I want to see.

If you love to travel, consider a job with a large airline. The travel benefits open up the whole world. You won't get rich working for one but the travel benefits make up for that.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
LIVING internationally can be much richer than travel (i.e. a quick trip)
Quote:
Is traveling (especially overseas, no matter where you are from) a priority in your life? How so?
If you need to learn to live like the locals, and accept and be accepted into their culture it casts a whole new light.

Quote:
Absolutely important - makes you a well rounded person to travel US and abroad, imo

I would put "living in a foriegn culture" right up there with having to have been a 4-H member, as a prerequisite for US Presidential candidates.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-08-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
In my opinion, it is essential.

Before anyone says I am a snob, let me just say there are many things I would put on the back burner for quite a long time to be able to travel.

When you see people who live differently from you, it really opens your mind, and you get to understand the concept of happiness is very, very different around the world; also, oddly enough, at the same time, travel makes you appreciate whatever you have back home.

Of course living overseas is an even better experience, but just traveling (no tours for me, please!) and mingling with the locals, speaking the language (trying to speak has its merit too) and trying local cuisine, that is quite an experience.

People who travel (with an open mind, please!), to my understanding, are usually more tolerant, more understanding, all in all more cultured. And the memories of the places you visited, are just priceless...I love looking at travel pictures! (Maybe I am the only person who does, bc most people I know say it is terribly boring, but I love it!)

I don't really understand the "I am happy here and travel is just not worth it" mentality... and I have heard people from several countries saying that. To each his own, go figure...

"Different eyes, different sights."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel