Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 PM

192 posts, read 322,129 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data Family,
My DH and I are planning our first vacation. I wanted to go to the Caribbean, but he has his heart set on Hawaii, so with that said I need your help. Would it be better to cruise or to purchase an all inclusive flight vacation? Also where would the best part of the island to visit? He is 51 and I am 37 so I would like to try and find things that would interest both of us. If a cruise is the best deal (including price) which cruise line would be better? I did all my research for the Caribbean so I am not even sure where to begin trying to plan for Hawaii. We would like to visit in June, so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I would like to use my AMEX reward points so hopefully you all will give me more of the great advice I have received in the past. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsunshine View Post
We would like to visit in June,
The Caribbean area would be hot and humid in June, but you may get lucky, so unless you like to spend your vacation *in the water*, or can stand hot humidity, go there.

Hawaii is great early in the year. Which island (?), just do some island hopping.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Hawaii is made up of many islands, 6 which you can travel to. Each island has different things to see and do, so what you want to do will determine what island you visit. If you want to see the fern grotto and an active volcano lava flow, you will need to visit Kauai and Hawaii (Big Island) and they are on opposite ends of the state. If you want to experience real old world Hawaii and also the glitz and glamour of Hawaii, you will need to visit Molokai and Oahu (Honolulu & Waikiki). These are not things you can do all in one day.

How long you plan to stay also makes choices for you. Getting from one island to another (except Maui to lanai or Molokai) is by airplane and all the regular air travel hassles will be there. I have met people who wanted to see Pearl Harbor, volcanoes, Mauna Loa, fern grotto, drive the road to hana, and Kalaupapa all in a 5 day trip. They spent so much time in the airports they never were able to enjoy Hawaii.

Cost is also something to consider. Hawaii is very expensive unless you plan to go bohemian. Taxis, car rentals, meals, even a bottle of water from the sack-n-save will seem to cost the same as water from the mini-bar at a mainland hotel. There are ways to save money, but you really have to be good at trying to save.

Many people visit because of their fantasy about a pacific island. You will want to experience that and will feel disappointed if you didn't come away fulfilled. In some places, you can only get that through the tourist attraction. That cost money.

A good place to get an idea (this is asked several times every week) is on the City-Data Hawaii board. If you go there and do a search, you'll find answers to visiting Hawaii at least 3 times on every page. If you have a question you don't want to open post, you can send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
Some info needed - how long, budget preferred, departing from east, central US or west coast? (it impacts flight suggestions). Any physical limitations (can't swim, hike, etc.)? As noted, the Hawaii board is overrun with these kinds of questions. I can give you suggestions on a Maui visit, I have no experience on cruises or other islands.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,589 times
as somone who's been to 5 or 6 carr. islands and 2 of the hawaiian islands (recently), i can give you great advice....but you will have to give us more information like Pilgrim21784 suggested...

PM me if you want.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I would skip the cruise. You don't have enough time to see the islands and there have been some pretty bad reviews about the food, service and condition of the boat.

How much time do you have? If you have never been to Hawaii, I would recommend some time in Oahu to at least visit Pearl Harbor and Waikiki. After that, I would venture to Maui or Kauai, depending on your preferences. Maui is more built up and a bit more touristy, but with more things to do. Kauai is more laid back and outdoorsy, plus the landscape is unbeatable here! I would skip the Big Island unless you really have your heart set on seeing the volcanoes.

If you get the book Hawaii for Dummies, there is some great info on helping you decide what island is best. Because I live here and have traveled the islands extensively, you can always ask me for help!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 PM

31 posts, read 74,939 times
Mar0,

I promised my daughter I would get on this site and see if a local could help her with her vacation planning.
She is 19 and is coming to Hawaii for spring break with a friend the second week of March. They are staying at the Hilton on Waikki.

Can you give her some advice and information about the following three questions she wanted me to ask:

Are there any stables close to her hotel that offer horse back riding on the beach?

Is it feasible to think they could take a cab from their hotel to the north shore where they do have horseback riding at Turtle Bay? How far is it?

Do you know how to get to the Lost set which she has read is close to Turtle Bay?

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I've never been to Hawaii so I don't know much about it

Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
1. No horse back riding at any of the beaches in the tourist area without a special permit. (movies, photos, models, TV)

2. Opposite end from where she is and over $100 for the trip one way.

3. Due to problems, the set is closed and now guraded (some people snuck in and took pictures and word is they stole stuff). There are guide tours.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM

31 posts, read 74,939 times
Thanks PacificFlights.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I would skip the cruise. You don't have enough time to see the islands and there have been some pretty bad reviews about the food, service and condition of the boat.

How much time do you have? If you have never been to Hawaii, I would recommend some time in Oahu to at least visit Pearl Harbor and Waikiki. After that, I would venture to Maui or Kauai, depending on your preferences. Maui is more built up and a bit more touristy, but with more things to do. Kauai is more laid back and outdoorsy, plus the landscape is unbeatable here! I would skip the Big Island unless you really have your heart set on seeing the volcanoes.

If you get the book Hawaii for Dummies, there is some great info on helping you decide what island is best. Because I live here and have traveled the islands extensively, you can always ask me for help!!!!
I am planing a trip to Kauai and I would love to pick the brain of a native! We want to stay on the north part of the island and are debating between staying at a b&b or guest home right on the bay or staying at some condos in Princeville. Do you have some thoughts for me? I am interested in convenience (walk to the beach, resturants, shops) but want a romantic quiet-ish private retreat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel