Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times

Advertisements

I think that I just made a mistake in making a reservation with Continental Airlines. I'm very used to flying with Southwest which doesn't charge any bag fees. ****inental charges $25 per bag. Why doesn't this appear anywhere in the fare comparisons on the travel sites? I feel like like I have been duped into paying for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I still don't know who charges for luggage and who doesn't, but in my opinion this is just unacceptable for any company.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
I have even written certain airline companies, and asked them why they did not just add the cost to the ticket, and then tell me *two free bags* ....

If I get charged for bags, I feel cheated.
If I get to take two free bags, I feel I got a good deal .....
Hmmm .... such a deal ....
Just a matter of psychological warfare, no ?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM

250 posts, read 905,621 times
It says here:

Continental Airlines - Checked Baggage Fees

• Continental Airlines Chase primary cardmembers will have their first checked-bag fees automatically waived
Do you have a Chase bank location near you? Maybe you could open up an account and get a debit card. I'd look into it. That's if if you want a way out of the fee.

Or, just fly with carry-on.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Nowadays most airlines within the USA charge baggage fees and it is not automatically added to the cost of the ticket as many people now try just to take carry-on luggage. BTW, Spirit Airlines charges for carry-on luggage as well.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Why doesn't this appear anywhere in the fare comparisons on the travel sites? I feel like like I have been duped into paying for this.
Beacuse it's not part of the FARE, it's a add on service. Just like the cost of beer and food is not listed in the fare price since that's something (like baggage now) that you pay only if you use.

And the travels sites don't want these included since they advertise that they get low fares. They want airlines to exclude as much from the base far as possible. This makes it look like fares are low beacuse it includes no add ons or even taxes and surcharges at some sites.

Since many people buy just on the LOW PRICE, the more they can exclude, the more suckers they reel in.

Our contracted travel company has never shown us any fare that can match what these travel sites offer, but the price they give us is the price of the travel. When they show us a price it includes all taxes and surcharges, it includes bags (they ask if Im checking bags) and it includes everything that has to be paid or that we plan on using.

And to be truthful, how in gods name does anyone in todays modern world not know that you need to go beyond the initial price to find out what things really cost? There is sooo much talk about baggage fees, I'm surprised it never crossed you mind to look into it and not get fooled by some low price on a travel site.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:47 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
I have never checked a bag in my life, even when we went to Europe for 2 weeks. We each had a carry-on. It's not that hard to fit all your belongings in one bag. In fact, you'll find that you actually pack things you need instead of throwing random items that you may or may not use because you have a large suitcase. Something to consider! Here's a great tutorial on how to pack for 10 days in a carry-on.

10 Days in a Carry-On - Slide Show - NYTimes.com

Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I can't remember the last time I checked a bag. We're headed to Europe for two weeks in 2012 and it will be carry-on only. Sometimes I'll check a case of wine, because it's cheaper than paying the regular UPS charges.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM

367 posts, read 1,073,959 times
But it is so much easier at the security when you check all liquids, toiletries etc. No need to worry about finding overhead bin space. Speaking of overhead bin space, pack only what you yourself can lift up and place in that space. Sure, most people will help, but it would be one concern less for you.

Some airlines are now considering charging for carry-ons too.
Got to love Southwest for the unconditional 2 checked bags for free.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Also, if you have some kind of elite status with an airline, they usually forego the baggage fee. We have it with Delta and not only would we not pay for bags if we checked (we don't), they allowed us to board an earlier flight without any charges. We had a layover in SLC for 2 hours, but when we landed, we noticed that a flight to SAN was boarding. We rushed to that gate and they were able to get us on because of our status, without the $50 fee to change flights. There were people on standby but because of our status, we were able to board and they had to wait for the next flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel