Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

The head of the nation's most fee-happy airline told Congress today that bringing luggage on vacation was "not essential" to travel and his airline was actually helping the poor fly by charging up to $45 to place a carry-on bag in the overhead bin.

Spirit Airlines CEO Defends Luggage Fees; Tells Congress Bags Are 'Not Essential' For Vacations - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Um, "the poor" likely have other concerns.

Carry-on bags, excessive luggage, and abuse of overhead bins have been exhaustively discussed in this forum, but I guess it's not over yet. I suppose much of this goes all the way back to deregulation in the 70's.

I usually just carry a backpack--so is this a discount to people who travel light? It would be a good marketing tool and perhaps catch them a few more customers, but their presentation is so antagonistic.
Maybe they should show a price breakdown in their advertisements (along with an on-time record.)

It is dawning on me that this nickel and diming routine is not going to go away, but I am going to make extra effort to use the airline that treats me like a desired customer instead of a PITA adversary.
Give me all these add-on fees upfront rather than tucking in hidden charges here and there like gristle in a stew.
ETA:
It doesn't look like Spirit treats its employees or customers all that well.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 07-16-2010 at 02:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Well not everyone can afford to buy anything that they can't fit in a backpack or shoulder bag at their destination.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Bags are not essential?!

I can understand someone taking 5 huge suitcases being way too much, but as a light traveler I think "bags are not essential" is an absurd comment.

In my opinion, two pieces of luggage and one carry-on are fine. We should never have to pay more for that.

Soon they will start charging for using the lavatory and serving water too.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
When I was flying around Europe and flying Vueling most of the time to check in a bag cost a lot of money but over head bin bags were free. However I never had anything larger then a backpack going to cities for 2-4 days. So he is RIGHT! You do not need a bag to travel.

Spirit Airlines has all the right to charge for whatever they want. That is how our economy works if they want to charge a lot for bags so be it dont fly them. However it seems like there rules and charges are working since they are the most profitable airline in the US right now. They offer ultra low prices but your paying for what you paid for a ride to a destination if you want to add luggage etc.. then you have to pay more for it. There is nothing wrong with doing this. If people dont like it dont fly the airline. I hate it and have only flown Spirit twice and will probably never fly them again. But I wont say this is wrong they can do what ever they want with their pricing.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Try traveling with babies or young kids with hardly any baggage... Does that mean families must stop flying?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
If companies can do "whatever they want with their pricing", so can customers do "whatever they want with their money" and take their business "wherever they like".

Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Spirit Airlines is like RyanAir in Europe. It's a no frills airline, with a la carte everything. RyanAir is known for this and people actually seek them out to save money on airfare. Why Americans get up in arms over one airline, an airline with a specific purpose, is beyond me. They're doing exactly what RyanAir has been doing for years in Europe. I see no issues with this. Would I fly with them? No, mostly because I have ff status with Delta and choose them 99% of the time. There are many airlines out there, you don't have to fly Spirit.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Call me crazy but I'm guessing "poor" people probably don't fly all that much. Still, I find the US airline fees are still quite cheap in comparison to some European airlines. BA charges £45 (approx $70) for the 2nd bag you check and £90 (approx $140) for the third.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well not everyone can afford to buy anything that they can't fit in a backpack or shoulder bag at their destination.
That's why a traveler learns how to pack carefully. It's really not that big a deal.
I take a backpack on 3 week long trips and the only 'extras' I buy at my destination are souvenirs.
I certainly don't purchase more clothes or toiletries.

A lot of airlines are going a la carte these days: Your first checked bag, your second, your seat, your meal etc etc. (http://www.expedia.com/daily/flights/airline-fees.asp - broken link)

Of course Spririt may charge as they see fit. That's the way it works.
While I've certainly been a repeat customer to several airlines, including BA, I'm usually not faithful to any particular one.
And I probably won't start now, especially with Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel