Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times

Advertisements

As said before since US Airways does not fly to Australia both those tickets will be with United Airlines. There are not as good as Qantas but they will get the job done. Have you looked at V Austrialia or maybe Air New Zealand there are plenty of airlines that can get you there with a connection. I say go for the cheapest ticket. However if you fly Qantas often you might just want to stick with them and earn those miles you get on those long trips. I hope your part of a frequent flyer program with them! It will be worth the extra $300 to get 10,000 miles! With American airlines (who are alliance partners with Qantas) only around 60,000 miles can get you a free round trip US-AUS so take that into mind too if you flown them many times before and are a frequent flyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM

333 posts, read 977,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
As said before since US Airways does not fly to Australia both those tickets will be with United Airlines. There are not as good as Qantas but they will get the job done. Have you looked at V Austrialia or maybe Air New Zealand there are plenty of airlines that can get you there with a connection. I say go for the cheapest ticket. However if you fly Qantas often you might just want to stick with them and earn those miles you get on those long trips. I hope your part of a frequent flyer program with them! It will be worth the extra $300 to get 10,000 miles! With American airlines (who are alliance partners with Qantas) only around 60,000 miles can get you a free round trip US-AUS so take that into mind too if you flown them many times before and are a frequent flyer.
Yea I just started looking at V Australia about an hour ago. The way I'm searching for them it's coming up as the cheapest ticket a-lot of those days. Yea I've flown there 3 times, but I had only heard of frequent flyer stuff vaguely so didn't really get the reason of it. My brother told me about it and said since I've been flying a-lot I should've already had them, but if I plan on flying more, the next time I'm in the airport I should get signed up for it. (This was told to me AFTER my last trip.) So yea I've flown to Australia with Quantas each time I've gone, which is 3. Would my previous trips still count even though I wasn't signed up for a frequent flyer? because I still have my trips tickets that prove it's been Quantas each time.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
what are the dates and which cities are you flying to/from?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,845 times
Default Don't just look at the airline - look at the plane type...

From past experience, the coach seats in many of the Airbus planes seemed to have a bit more room than the Boeing planes... but that could just be my perception. I've flown United quite a bit, but the economy seats can be a bit cramped - although if you can spring a few extra $$ for the economy plus seats, that can make all the difference in the world. I will say that the "customer service" on United has definitely declined over the past several years.

No matter which you pick, for a long international flight, I always pack plenty of on-board entertainment (MP3 player, Kindle, puzzles) and some snacks to make sure that I don't starve or die of boredom and it takes my mind off the discomfort. My nightmare trip was a 19.5 hour non-stop trip from DC to Johannesburg - but I never ran out of things to do!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Yea I just started looking at V Australia about an hour ago. The way I'm searching for them it's coming up as the cheapest ticket a-lot of those days. Yea I've flown there 3 times, but I had only heard of frequent flyer stuff vaguely so didn't really get the reason of it. My brother told me about it and said since I've been flying a-lot I should've already had them, but if I plan on flying more, the next time I'm in the airport I should get signed up for it. (This was told to me AFTER my last trip.) So yea I've flown to Australia with Quantas each time I've gone, which is 3. Would my previous trips still count even though I wasn't signed up for a frequent flyer? because I still have my trips tickets that prove it's been Quantas each time.
You can sign up online just go to the airlines website. I always sign up for a program for every airline I fly never know when you will fly that airline again. Keep those tickets and call the airline they might let you add the miles to your account, thinks it just depends on the airline.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Ive done both. Though I know a few people, including myself, who have dealt with 1 hr+ delays and/or cancelled flights with US Air, for no real reason.
On the flip side, US Airways has been cheaper in many cases too, than Southwest.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 PM

896 posts, read 268,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Ive done both. Though I know a few people, including myself, who have dealt with 1 hr+ delays and/or cancelled flights with US Air, for no real reason.
On the flip side, US Airways has been cheaper in many cases too, than Southwest.
There is always a reason, it either wasn't explained to you correctly, you didn't like what you were hearing or you just might not understand the explination given.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This is why there are less and less airlines. The airlines as a whole do NOT make money, in fact they lose it on the average, and have to continue cutting costs and services. Passengers on the whole are unwilling to pay for service.
Passengers on a whole are unwilling to pay for the type of service that they receive when they fly United Airlines, which is generally very poor service.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
From past experience, the coach seats in many of the Airbus planes seemed to have a bit more room than the Boeing planes... but that could just be my perception. I've flown United quite a bit, but the economy seats can be a bit cramped - although if you can spring a few extra $$ for the economy plus seats, that can make all the difference in the world. I will say that the "customer service" on United has definitely declined over the past several years.

No matter which you pick, for a long international flight, I always pack plenty of on-board entertainment (MP3 player, Kindle, puzzles) and some snacks to make sure that I don't starve or die of boredom and it takes my mind off the discomfort. My nightmare trip was a 19.5 hour non-stop trip from DC to Johannesburg - but I never ran out of things to do!!!
Yea I do the same thing pack snacks, puzzle books, and CD's. Definitely helps the time pass.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You can sign up online just go to the airlines website. I always sign up for a program for every airline I fly never know when you will fly that airline again. Keep those tickets and call the airline they might let you add the miles to your account, thinks it just depends on the airline.
Ah ok thanks. I'll try doing that soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel