Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Mike is an azz...or too big for his seat to begin with...the dam seats don't recline that far back as for the passenger in front to be in his lap
I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'2". And I'm not "too big for my seat." In fact, I weigh less than most women shorter than me, so that's not even a factor. I assure you that when someone reclines their seat all the way, we have no leg room left. Sure, if you're short, that's not an issue. But it's a huge issue for the tall people. I was on a flight from hell coming home from Italy, where the inconsiderate people in front of us refused to put their seats more upright, even after seeing that we truly could not move. Even other passengers commented to them that they are being rude and inconsiderate because we were that cramped and everyone around us noticed. I've never seen seats recline that much on any other airline, it was beyond ridiculous. Luckily, we mostly fly with Delta and don't have these issues anymore since our status gets us either first class or exit rows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
The most incredible thing regarding reclining seats that has ever happened to me was at mealtime, when the person ahead of me had his seat fully reclined (what I don't mind at all, however some people recline it so quickly without asking the person behind them that if they have anything on a tray it will certainly fall off)and, upon asking the stewardess to talk to him and ask him to put it back - since all people would be using their trays - (Jesus, everybody knows that!) she said she could not "disturb" him and I had to have my meal that way.

To this day I am unable to understand that.

I know stewardesses have to deal with a lot of moody people on a daily basis, but if some of them (some are actually very kind), were a bit more polite it would not bother me...

Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'2". And I'm not "too big for my seat." In fact, I weigh less than most women shorter than me, so that's not even a factor. I assure you that when someone reclines their seat all the way, we have no leg room left. Sure, if you're short, that's not an issue. But it's a huge issue for the tall people. I was on a flight from hell coming home from Italy, where the inconsiderate people in front of us refused to put their seats more upright, even after seeing that we truly could not move. Even other passengers commented to them that they are being rude and inconsiderate because we were that cramped and everyone around us noticed. I've never seen seats recline that much on any other airline, it was beyond ridiculous. Luckily, we mostly fly with Delta and don't have these issues anymore since our status gets us either first class or exit rows.
What airline do you fly where the seats recline like a lazy boy recliner. It's fractional, on Continental anyway... My husband is 6'2 as well, I always book him an aisle seat & me a window seat..on flights that aren't fully booked we usaully luck out with no one in the middle which gives more room as well

Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Sure, if you're short, that's not an issue.
Ah, see short people have an entirely different issue. The shape of the seats are designed for an average sized person so for a short person, the back and neck support is all wrong. On many airlines, the head of the seat juts forward to provide neck support but for a short person, it just forces our heads downwards because it's too high. The curve of the seat as well is usually just too extreme so I wind up sitting like a hunchback with my head down. I get major back and neck pain within an hour. The ONLY solution to this is to shove a pillow behind me and recline my seat so the part at the top which juts forward is farther away from my head and not forcing it in a downwards position. I've come across several other short people who agree with me, I'm not the only one.

I did just recently fly a KLM flight operated by Delta and those seats were okay - no jutting out thingy at the top. So I did not put my seat back. But with the poorly shaped seats, I'm sorry, there is just no way my back and neck could survive for more than an hour in that position. There is a reason the seats recline - if it really makes one a horrible person for using the feature, they wouldn't offer it.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
What airline do you fly where the seats recline like a lazy boy recliner. It's fractional, on Continental anyway... My husband is 6'2 as well, I always book him an aisle seat & me a window seat..on flights that aren't fully booked we usaully luck out with no one in the middle which gives more room as well
The airline in question was Eurofly, a division of Alitalia. We had no choice in the matter, not many other options were available. We rarely, if ever, fly anything other than Delta now and don't have these issues.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I agree with the first reply to the OP's post: Mike IS an "azz".

To recline is one of the few options we have in the plane, and they don't recline enough to make a difference. I've never had a problem with the person in front of me reclining.

What's REALLY irritating is when a child constantly kicks the back of the seat in the presence of an oblivious parent. I hope Mike experiences that one real soon.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Alot of complainers!

Don't like flying- drive or take the train...or take Greyhound so that you can EXPECT bad behavior.

All these conditions are created by the airline industry:
smelly sandwiches - they took away food
no leg room - they pack every square inch with tiny seats
no room in bin - they took away free checked luggage

Start firing off to the airlines - not fellow passengers. Maybe if they rate jack the fare to include these things....more people will drive....and it will be those with the smelly sandwiches!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I'm 6' 1"and my knees dig in to the seat in front of me if I had my legs straight. So, instead, I angle my legs outward to get an extra inch of room. I ALWAYS put my seat back the few degrees it goes. It never bothers me when the person in front of me reclines their seat. I expect it. Who the heck doesn't recline their seat. The only people I've seen it bother are the people who are tryingto use a laptop andrealize that there is no room for their screen if the seat in front is reclined. Shouldn't those people be in business class anyway?
Just an FYI, most companies will not pay for business class for the vast majority of people that work for them. In the companies I have worked for only the very very top have the option of business class. On my last flight a Sr Director that has been at the company for 30 years was sitting a few rows ahead of me in coach.

I use my laptop nearly every business trip I take and a reclining seat is a huge prob for me, although I don't complain to the people in front of me, either. It is extremely difficult, but I figure out a way to continue to be productive.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Agree..these people are griping like it was a lazy boy recliner in front of them
You can rest assured the next time I try to recline and it won't I'll stand up and check behind me....

Lots of stuff gets on my nerves...crying screaming kids, the person next to me who didn't know when to stop spraying the perfume on themselves, but I deal with it
I have been on flights with people who bring their dogs on board barking the entire way back, you want rude? that is it. If the seats are made to go back, mine is going back.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,012 times
I have to say there are many things happening on a flight that bother me more than the person in front of me reclining their seat, but I'm not 5'10" or taller. I can certainly understand the logistics of taller people's problem with reclining seats.

Screaming toddlers are my nemesis. I solved all noise problems by always wearing high noise rated earplugs or listening to audio books. The difference earplugs make on a flight is incredible. If I'm unlucky enough to be seated next an unruly kid, I don't hesitate to ask the stewardess if I can move. I've only been refused if there are no seats available. Everyone understand the nightmare those kids cause for those next to them.

Kids kicking the back of my seat while their bubblehead, comatose parent(s) do nothing is a very close second. I stand up, turn around and ask the parents to stop their child from repeatedly kicking the back of my seat. The negative attention it calls to their child and them usually prompts the parents to stop it.

I honestly believe people over a certain weight should have to purchase two seats. If someone is so obese they have to raise the armrests to spread over the seat(s) next to them, they need two seats.

Cell phone use on planes should be banned, period. There is nothing that can't wait 5-10 minutes until people deplane and are in the terminal.

I fly a lot and the majority of time the flights are without suffering rude people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel