Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:12 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,192 times

Advertisements

HAppy Holidays - we are planning a vacation in the spring to Hawaii and am trying to figure out which island we should go to - it appears that Maui with Lahania is more to our liking...
We are looking for quiet beaches, small villages, non-tourist
Those of you who have been to Hawaii - what did you like? where did you stay? where would you recommend?
thanks for the help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
We visited Oahu, the Big Island, and Kauai.
I enjoyed all of them.
I think if I had to choose one, I'd go with the Big Island (Hawaii.)
There is a lot to the island. We visited both the rainier Hilo side (we stayed in a beautiful rainforest B&B) as well as the drier Kona side.
Volcanoes National Park was simply breathtaking--watching hot lava is certainly not an everyday experience.
However, Kauai, the Garden Island, is also gorgeous and mostly unspoiled.
Maybe you could do what we did and visit more than one island?
It sure is hard to choose, and they are not that far away from each other.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:40 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
If you want non-tourist, go to Kauai.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
We went to Oahu last year and it was GORGEOUS!! By far the most beautiful place on earth! We stayed in Kaaawa which was on the opposite side of Waikiki and closer to the North Shore. It was very nice and alot more quite than Waikiki and Honolulu. We saw Pearl Harbor, snorkled at Hanauma Bay (awesome), the Polynesian Cultural Center, Dole Pineapple Plantation, North Shore (30 ft waves while we were there) and a ton of other stuff. We hope to go back in the future but I'm hoping to go to the big island since I want to see a volcano and I want to experience other islands as well. We spent one week on Oahu and were constantly busy trying to do so many things. I wish we would have had more time to lay on the beach and enjoy it. Oahu is quite busy and is the most populated so if you are looking for something less hectic I'd say check out one of the other islands. Either way, Hawaii is PARADISE!

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:03 PM

35 posts, read 184,875 times
Default def kauai

I've been living on Oahu since June, and I've spent some time on the big island, Kauai and Maui.

If you're looking for a quiet, tropical beach vacation, I would definitely suggest kauai. It hasn't quite been overrun by tourists yet, has beautiful beaches and is definitely laid back and gorgeous overall. Maui is certainly beautiful, but many beaches are crowded as it has become almost more touristy than Oahu! The Big Island is incredible also, but not quite as impressive in terms of beaches (still some nice spots, though, it's all relative).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions. Some excellent guidebooks to get are the "revealed' series...

Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 AM

104 posts, read 491,455 times
I've been to Hawaii 3 times and always stayed on Kauai. No highrise...

Old 12-26-2007, 01:48 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
HAppy Holidays - we are planning a vacation in the spring to Hawaii and am trying to figure out which island we should go to - it appears that Maui with Lahania is more to our liking...
We are looking for quiet beaches, small villages, non-tourist
Those of you who have been to Hawaii - what did you like? where did you stay? where would you recommend?
thanks for the help...
My husband and I spend 2 wonderful weeks in Maui...and LOVED IT!
Hawaii was way to touristy and built up for us.....Kauai a bit to laid back and "lazy".
I am glad we had decided to go with Maui, because it was the perfect balance, and what we were looking for.
We went hiking, snorkeling, took the road to "haina", went horseback riding, helicopter ride over the mountains, waterfalls, visited to the Black Sand Beach, Lahaina, Waileha Shops, The Grand Weilea Hotel and Resort, Whalers Village in Kaanapali, went to the "7 Pools"......and did so much more.....

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency directly in Lahaina (Which I can highly recommend!!!)
Service/ rooms/ hotel were impeccable!

For a night out for dinner, this is the place to go (has one of the best seafood and steaks we have ever eaten!):
Mama's Fish House
Kuau Cove
Maui
(808) 579- 8488
www.Mamasfishhouse.com

Old 12-28-2007, 04:13 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
I've only been to Oahu. I loved it but it was really touristy (if you get to the northern part of the island, it isn't too bad, but waikki beach reminded me of being on Michigan Avenue in Chicago....). I would recommend the island as a whole, but not if you don't want touristy. From other people I know, the Big Island is also super touristy, with Maui being slightly less touristy than Oahu and Kuai being the less touristy of all. Next time, I'm skipping the big island and Oahu and going for probably Kuai or Maui (they are both suppose to be gorgeous). I agree with movingback. I've heard that Maui has the best balance.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:25 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Maui or Kuai. Every other place is too commercialized/touristy. Kuai is the most laidback of all the islands if you're looking for peace and quiet along with spectacular beauty.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times
I've only been to Oahu, but it has everything from the ever popular and touristy Waikiki to quieter and imo much better destinations like Kailua Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel