Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times

Advertisements

What is considered to be "frequent flyer" is already answered for you. Just go to an airline site and they will clearly state their frequent flyer levels, most are similiar to each other.

Delta for instance has various levels of elite status-
Silver - 25k miles or 30 segments a year.
Gold - 50k miles or 60 segments a year.
Platinum - 75k miles or 100 segments a year (at this level you are "elite-plus")
Diamand - 125k miles or 140 segments a year.

Delta has not released how many of their flyers, by percentage, are elite. However when I fly out of Atlanta (a Delta hub) it seems that half the passengers on a flight are Silvers at least, particularly on a common business travel day like Monday or Friday. Platinum or up (elite-plus) is another thing, it takes some hard core road warrior and international trips to achieve that level. Last year I achieved Plat on Delta, thanks to about a half dozen international trips. This year I will be Gold at least, depending on my international schedule for the rest of the year. Might still make Plat again, all it takes is a few more India trips for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
A lot. Like 40+

G Man

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
If you are counting each segment of a trip, then I will probably finish the year somewhere in the 200 to 300 flights range. However as a paying/non-working passenger probably less than 30 flights.
I wasn't counting each segment, because that would put me at well over 60. since I have a layover pretty much every single time thanks to my home airport. I said I have 22...if I counted the return flight and layovers, it would be well over 60. All pleasure, zero business.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
If you are counting each segment of a trip, then I will probably finish the year somewhere in the 200 to 300 flights range. However as a paying/non-working passenger probably less than 30 flights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I wasn't counting each segment, because that would put me at well over 60. since I have a layover pretty much every single time thanks to my home airport. I said I have 22...if I counted the return flight and layovers, it would be well over 60. All pleasure, zero business.
This being the case I will have around 100 flights for the year. Of that maybe 15 are as a paying/non-working passenger.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Wow, how do you guy do so many flights?? I have 2 planned trips to Asia, and a 1 way ticket because I'm moving planned for the year.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Wow, how do you guy do so many flights?? I have 2 planned trips to Asia, and a 1 way ticket because I'm moving planned for the year.
Business travels

Old 07-26-2010, 07:00 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
A love for travel! I specifically didn't include business travel since well, that's not exactly a choice one has!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I love to travel too. I owned my own planes for 30 years or so and flew all over the continent. This year? One flight. One too many. I hate flying with commercial airlines, but my son is getting married in Mexico and bought my wife and I tickets to the shindig. I'd rather drive our RV, but he knows we wouldn't show up on time.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
None. When Americans lost their rights to fly without being (practically) strip searched, we decided we would stop participating.

As an aside:
We met a couple from Amsterdam while staying in an RV park in ID. Both were consultants to European businessmen and government officials, on summer holiday. This summer, they decided they wanted to see America because they'd heard from so many Europeans that we'd become a Third World country.

Both are frequent travelers around Europe, including the Communist Soviet Union and East Berlin, prior to their falls. After we talked with them about their travels of the US, they hesitantly admitted to us that what they saw in our US airports was frighteningly like both of those regimes, prior to their fall. They, too, were told the loss of freedoms were for their own protections.

The conversation faltered as we digested that information.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
None. When Americans lost their rights to fly without being (practically) strip searched, we decided we would stop participating.

As an aside:
We met a couple from Amsterdam while staying in an RV park in ID. Both were consultants to European businessmen and government officials, on summer holiday. This summer, they decided they wanted to see America because they'd heard from so many Europeans that we'd become a Third World country.

Both are frequent travelers around Europe, including the Communist Soviet Union and East Berlin, prior to their falls. After we talked with them about their travels of the US, they hesitantly admitted to us that what they saw in our US airports was frighteningly like both of those regimes, prior to their fall. They, too, were told the loss of freedoms were for their own protections.

The conversation faltered as we digested that information.
You are forgetting one major part of of the story, when they collapsed it was because of an isolated market. Stop freaking out about some added security, times have changed and so have the regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel