Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

For the sake of this (non-clicky) poll, let's use only this year since I know it varies year to year. Since reading some of the responses from self-proclaimed frequent fliers in many threads about what is and isn't acceptable on a flight, I'm curious to know how frequently people really do travel by plane and what they consider to be a frequent flier. So far this year, I've been on 22 flights. I have 6 more coming up from now until the first week of September and will have more towards the end of the year, once we figure out where to go in Oct, Nov, and Dec. So I'm only counting 28 for the year since those have either already been completed, or will be shortly and are booked. What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Very few this year. I will probably take only two or three round trips this year, down from 10 last year.

The airfares have been much too high this year with few good fare sales.

With certain car rental specials and a good number of regional buslines popping up, it has been cheaper to travel regionally and travel by roadway.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,930 times
Hmmm, trips or flights (hops)? If it's "hops", I've been on 20 so far this year (eight trips) and have at least three more trips planned ... I laugh like a maniac when anyone suggests I "travel" when I retire... my goal will be to see as FEW airports as possible!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I flew across the state in February and, unless something "happens" within the family, that will be my only flight this year. We're going to California in September but plan to drive it.

We are drive all our trips across the state (California). It takes more time, and we're usually more tired, and there's more wear in our car for it, but it beats flying. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than paying for airfare and car rental.

We USED to rent cars for road trips but stopped that when our budget got tighter.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I used to travel a lot on my job but I hated flying. It's uncomfortable and a pain in the butt. Now that I am retired, I drive to all of my vacation destinations. I'm not hampered by having to be back home by a certain date. I can take my time and I like to drive.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
I'm just your average consumer and my total for 2010 will be 2 domestic and 1 international.

Last year was 2 domestic.

But none of these were business related. I think business travel is a different ballgame than anything else. The mindset is different.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

The airfares have been much too high this year with few good fare sales.
I couldn't agree more. The airfares are higher than ever this year. We finally redeemed our ff miles from several airlines, so we didn't actually pay for many of these flights which is the main reason we traveled so much this year. Couldn't afford to go if we had to pay the actual airfares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Hmmm, trips or flights (hops)? If it's "hops", I've been on 20 so far this year (eight trips) and have at least three more trips planned ... I laugh like a maniac when anyone suggests I "travel" when I retire... my goal will be to see as FEW airports as possible!
I guess by hops you mean layovers? I didn't count those, since from my city, we have a layover every single time. It's quite ridiculous. It's either SLC or ATL first, no matter where we have to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

But none of these were business related. I think business travel is a different ballgame than anything else. The mindset is different.
Yea, I don't do business travel either. I assume frequent business travelers have 100 flights down by now! Earlier this year my husband would to fly to NYC on Sunday, come back to San Diego on Friday, then back out Sunday. It stopped for a couple of months, but is resuming shortly. Of course, he wouldn't count these since he has no choice but to go to work.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM

367 posts, read 1,074,134 times
I'll probably do about 70 flights this year (based on last year's travels), the vast majority business and domestic.
I (thankfully) love flying. For me, being on a plane is very relaxing, it's like the feeling of leaving the office after work - or kind of a break in what you're working on/with. Yes, it can be cramped, delays can be annoying but as long as you are well-prepared, it can be enjoyable.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
If you are counting each segment of a trip, then I will probably finish the year somewhere in the 200 to 300 flights range. However as a paying/non-working passenger probably less than 30 flights.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Comepleted: 18
Reserved: 4
Possible 2
Confirmed total: 24 hopefully 26-28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel