Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

Um, I'd be livid. I don't care if the woman was flying standby, she paid for her seat. The teenager paid for one seat. Whoever purchased the ticket for the teenager should have purchased two seats if that's what it takes for her to fit onto a plane. I think the airlines really need to start cracking down on people fitting in the actual seats. If you can't fit, then you must purchase 2 seats or risk being kicked off the plane. It's really sad that a 14 year old is so large to need 2 seats.

Woman Removed From Plane to Make Room for Overweight Teen - Incredible Health - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
We're all lucky that jet engines generate enough thrust that weight is not an issue, only space. On prop planes weight is a big factor and too many heavy passangers and the plane can't legally fly until they can do a weight and balance that gets under the max takeoff weight.
I think the fat teen should have had to pay for two seats or else take the next flight.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Jesus Christ, now we have 14 year olds that take up two plane seats? heck, I'm not a small person, but I can still fit into a single seat! feel bad for the lady (sucks being bumped off a flight you paid for), feel worse for the next generation of the human race

Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Did the teen pay for two seats? What would have happened if instead of the teen paying for two seats, it was two normal sized persons who paid for [those] two seats? Normal procedure may still have bumped the lady. If the teen paid for the two seats as the two hypothetical people could have then maybe bumping the lady was appropriate.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Nowhere in the article did it indicate that the teen paid for two seats. In fact, since the woman was able to board, I assume their computer showed that the number of seats available exceeded the number of paying customers.

Ok, I found this link. It appears that the 14 year old did not pay for an extra seat and they didn't want to embarrass her so they just removed the paying woman.

Woman ordered off plane to make way for obese teenager who needed two seats - Telegraph

Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
typically when I fly, it's to visit family, so I'm rarely in a huge rush. if I had been in this situation and the flight attendants had just asked for a volunteer to give up their seat, I personally would have. this likely wouldn't have been such a big deal if the flight attendant had asked for a volunteer to give up their seat. I understand not wanting to embarrass a 14yo, but now the fact that this is a major, international story seems more embarrassing to all involved.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 PM

I agree. I find it funny that they are willing to embarrass obese adult passengers, since I've heard announcements made in the past looking for volunteers. Why is it any different for a teenager? And it's not like she was flying as an unaccompanied minor...the age for that on SW is 5-11, so she's just like any other person on the plane. Basically, if a child aged 5-11 has someone on the flight with them that is 12 or older, they are not considered unaccompanied, since SW considers the 12 year old capable of flying alone. What's more disturbing, those aged 12-21 are eligible for the youth fare. So that means that she paid far less than any other passenger on board and got 2 seats out of that deal.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
My Guess is the 14yo (Parents CC) was billed for the extra seat. SW charges the 'same' fare he paid for the 1st seat for the 2nd seat (even if they do it at the gate). The woman that was bumped was standby. Since he didn't book the 'extra' seat in advance the computer said there was 1 open seat. Thats why they let her on as standby. But she WAS Standby that mean book'ed people (and any extra seats they need come 1st). If she had book a seat inadvance they would have looked for a volunteer to get off to make a seat open. Or bumped (someone based on there bumping rules) off the plane.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
SWA probably gave into the obese teen because of the huge flak they received when they booted fatty director Kevin Smith (of Clerks fame) this Feb, and he instantly tweeted his rants to the entire world. In his case it was a full flight and no extra stand-by seats were available so he had to take the next flight with an empty seat. I think SWA's official policy is to charge for the double seat, but given all the negative attention I'm not sure if they've enforced it since the Feb incident.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I agree. I find it funny that they are willing to embarrass obese adult passengers, since I've heard announcements made in the past looking for volunteers. Why is it any different for a teenager? And it's not like she was flying as an unaccompanied minor...the age for that on SW is 5-11, so she's just like any other person on the plane. Basically, if a child aged 5-11 has someone on the flight with them that is 12 or older, they are not considered unaccompanied, since SW considers the 12 year old capable of flying alone. What's more disturbing, those aged 12-21 are eligible for the youth fare. So that means that she paid far less than any other passenger on board and got 2 seats out of that deal.
The airline was just covering their butt here. If anything had happened to that 14 year old minor, you can bet they would have been sued, and lost. Simple business decision. It wasn't fair to the person that was bumped, but it was the right business decision. IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel