Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:16 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But there are local buses, which is how everyone else there gets around.
In a third world country your not going to find the local city bus to take you up into the mountains to see a waterful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 737 times
Have always traveled without guides and had no problems. Meeting locals and communicating is one thing I find enjoyable. I guess it's luck for an English speaker, you'll often find someone with at least a smattering of the language.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
In a third world country your not going to find the local city bus to take you up into the mountains to see a waterful.
You can hire a car and driver for the day, or sign up with a weekend tour and go with the locals. Or do you want to visit the country without having to rub shoulders with the locals?

Obviously, if you are on a specialized trip, to see wildlife, archaeological sites, art museums, or fine dining, it makes sense to go with a package that concentrates on assembling one those features.

But if you decide "Gee, Bulgaria sounds fascinating", just buy a ticket to Sofiya and spend two weeks seeing Bulgaria. The other passengers on the bus to Stara Zagora and the other people eating in the restaurant there will be a lot more interesting than the same people you just flew across the Atlantic with.

If Bulgaria is a disappointment, ride a few hours on the bus to Romania or Greece.

Again, it's not for everyone. But it would be a shame to miss a whole lifetime of independent travel, simply because you were always afraid to try it.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You can hire a car and driver for the day, or sign up with a weekend tour and go with the locals.
Agree. In countries where the infrastructure is so poor you can't find public transportation where you want to go, you can almost always hire an autorick or similiar to drive you out there. Even on a western "shoestring" budget!

Of course, you have to be a little smart about who you hire, more in some regions of the world than others, but there's (almost) always other travellers or locals around who can vouch for certain people/companies.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
If I'm unfamiliar with a country, I will go guided before I attempt unguided travel. I feel safer in large groups and will likely see more in a carefully planned tour versus me trying to figure out how to get to places. Once I have a feel for the country/region, I will then opt to go back and explore certain parts unguided. What's interesting is that I did do a Canadian trip to Victoria, BC and explored on my own but I guess I felt more comfortable due to its proximity and similarities to the US.

Oh ... Regarding hiring drivers, I'd be cautious about that if you are unfamiliar with the area because kidnappings of American tourists is something to be concerned about in certain third world countries. This is especially true if you don't know the language being spoken. Being adventurous is one thing but don't place yourself in unnecessary peril.

Last edited by Chatteress; 08-05-2010 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
We plan on heading to Turkey soon and take a guided tour. Part of our stay will include some backpacking that we plan on doing unguided. Hopefully all goes well.....

Old 08-06-2010, 12:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
We plan on heading to Turkey ..will include some backpacking that we plan on doing unguided. Hopefully all goes well.....
Watch your borders!!!! there are a few 'less-than-hospitable' neighbors there.

I travel using private guesthomes. (~20 yrs now). It is very safe and informational, with 'built-in' locals to guide / instruct you on local events and 'hidden gems'.

Generally, I hear guided tours are very constraining, and a VERY serious weakness I have is conformity (ask any of my bosses )

There have been a few exceptions with small 'private' tour groups. (Like flying around Africa in a DC-3 with ~ 20 friends) (done by a friend, sounded great, staying in remote jungle villages and being 'flexible' on route and accommodations). Hired drivers were a bit scary as a family, but I outgrew that now that I'm 'ancient' and no kids to get kidnapped.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Watch your borders!!!! there are a few 'less-than-hospitable' neighbors there.

I travel using private guesthomes. (~20 yrs now). It is very safe and informational, with 'built-in' locals to guide / instruct you on local events and 'hidden gems'.

Generally, I hear guided tours are very constraining, and a VERY serious weakness I have is conformity (ask any of my bosses )

There have been a few exceptions with small 'private' tour groups. (Like flying around Africa in a DC-3 with ~ 20 friends) (done by a friend, sounded great, staying in remote jungle villages and being 'flexible' on route and accommodations). Hired drivers were a bit scary as a family, but I outgrew that now that I'm 'ancient' and no kids to get kidnapped.

Gotcha, we will. That flying around Africa excursion sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel