Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 9,741 times

Advertisements

I'm planning this drive from South Florida to San Fran and am not sure which route would be better overall. I'm more concerned with efficiency than sight seeing. I10 seems to be a couple hours faster, but I am not familiar with the roads so don't know how other aspects will compare such as traffic, road quality, frequency of rest stops, etc. Any further info would help greatly. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 PM

615 posts, read 856,291 times
I say take the I-10. The I-40 is a horrible freeway to take for long road trips. I know from experience and would only recommend the I-40 if it's the most convenient path, which in this case, is not.

I just came back from a road trip from Los Angeles to Florida, and I took the I-10 all the way. There are plenty of rest areas, also when you enter into another state all the Welcome Centers have clean restrooms. It's usually on the first exit, but there are some that are not, so read those signs!

Good luck on your journey.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Take the I-10, just try to avoid major Texas and Louisiana cities at rush hour.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I10 as they say.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,121 times
Yeah I-10 is the best bet. As the above poster said, avoid Baton Rouge and Houston and Phoenix during Rush Hour. And don't forget to take I-12 to avoid N.O. Pay attention on I-10 through AZ, especially between Tucson and Phoenix. There have plenty of major accidents on that stretch because of sandstorms. Try not to pull off if you get caught in one, try to make it to an exit.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
I agree with everyone else. I-10 is your best bet. It's a good road most of the way, though it gets a little desolate out in West Texas.

Use I-12 from Slidell, LA to Baton Rouge and save some miles. Also, don't bother using the loops around Houston or San Antonio. They're generally worse than going right through the middle of town.

When you get into the Los Angeles/San Bernardino area, I'd recommend taking I-210, the Foothills Freeway, all the way to I-5 at San Fernando. It completely bypasses LA. After that, you can just go up I-5 to Tracy, CA and take I-580 right to the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge.

But, I-5 is a long, boring drive with not much to look at. However, it's generally pretty fast as traffic tends to exceed the posted limit by a good 10 mph and the CHP doesn't much care as long as everyone is going about the same speed. "Rolling with the flow" is the key to getting around California without any problems from the cops. Forget the posted limits on freeways...just stay up with everyone else, no matter how fast or slow they are going.

If you'd like some scenery, though, you can take I-210 to CA-118 west and follow it over to US-101 at Ventura. Going north on the 101 will take you right to downtown San Francisco via Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Salinas, San Jose. It's not all freeway, but it is all 4 lane and the ocean view between Ventura and Santa Barbara makes it worth the trip to me.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:36 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
You know having driven most this too, at some point you have to turn across to 40 and to I-5 to go north to San Francisco and then when you get close to stockton you have to go across to Oakland and SF..Its all good road but the high desert can get windy..You don't want to drive up from San Diego threw the LA basin its just crazy down there..
By doing this you are pretty much avoiding city traffic till you get in close to the SF Bay Area.
Have a safe trip

Old 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM

615 posts, read 856,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
at some point you have to turn across to 40 and to I-5 to go north to San Francisco
That's not true. The I-10 connects to the I-15, and if he went the way you stated, he'd end up taking Hwy 58, not the I-40. Also not a route I'd suggest, since it takes you out of the way and backtracks you.

I agree with stillkit and say take the I-210 to avoid Los Angeles and then hop on the I-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel