Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 06:32 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anyone sail here? I am seriously interested in taking lessons on sailing. On a 1-10 scale, how difficult in your opinion is sailing to learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I've never thought about it on a scale factor. Taking lessons is the way to go. I presume you already know how to swim and are comfortable on the water? Most sailboaters are very particular and will teach you safety as well as technique.

You should be in good shape as you're constantly jumping up to haul this and trim that. Conversly, there are also great periods of time when you need patience as you're going nowhere. You'll need to be a good planner in order to take everything you need with you, no quick trips to the store when you're out there. Being multi-talented helps in case you need to rewire something on the spot.

Get a chart book, very important, so you know where you're going and in order to avoid hazards. Stay out of bluewater and stiff breezes till you know what you're doing. And above all have a very healthy respect for the water and mother nature. She can be quickly dangerous.

Have fun!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 PM

668 posts, read 681,621 times
I lived aboard for a bit. Sailing is easy to learn. Routine maintenance on a decent sized boat is a *****. Unless your handy and have funds to fix things be careful. I suggest you take a sailing course, then crew for a boat and get the gist of it before buying a boat and striking out on your own. The feeling about being a 100 miles from land at night with a full moon is like going to outer space. Undescribable. Glad I did it, but my maintainence skills kept me from persueing it much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel