Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I love these ignorant statements. We've been to Mexico twice so far this year and plan on going back later this year. I know plenty of others that have been as well. You have a higher chance of being a victim of random violence in your own neighborhood than in Mexico. I can't imagine living my life with such fear, you must be a blast to hang out with!
There are tons of travel advisories and warnings issued for those wishing to travel to Mexico. I've been to Puerta Villarta and have gone to Tijuana several times but with the current violence wracking the nation, I feel that it would be unwise to disregard someone's legitimate concerns as "ignorant" .... The violence in Mexico is real and several Mexicans that I know personally do not recommend a trip to Mexico at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
So how many American tourists have been murdered in Mexico this year? How many Americans were murdered in their own country this year? Anyone want to research and post the numbers? It's the fear of random violence that scares people, even when the fear is unfounded. Two people are murdered and drama ensues. Meanwhile, hundreds a day are murdered at the hand of Americans in this country! It's like the plane crash thing...so many are afraid of flying but get into a car with no problem. I think it's safe to agree that many more people die in car crashes annually than in plane crashes.

My friend just got back from her 2 week honeymoon in Cancun. They had a blast.
Here is a story I just read in the LA Times about 72 people killed in a massacre in Mexico ... 72 folks killed is hardly an insignificant number. It's ok if you personally feel comfortable traveling to Mexico but dismissing someone else's legitimate concern for safety as "ignorant" is not ok.

Mexico massacre investigation: Mexico massacre investigator missing; blasts hit TV and police stations - latimes.com

Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Like I said, I want proof that American tourists are targeted in cities like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Cabos, where most travel to. We all know they are killing each other, in cities that no American tourist ventures to, far far away from the resort towns. But it appears everyone is so scared because they are targeting American tourists in resort towns and that is not the case. Tijuana is a border town. Most (not all) of the violence is in the border towns. And quite honestly, there is no good reason for anyone to go to TJ since there is nothing to see there.

But as I said before, lower airfare and hotel rates for those of us that will continue to travel there, without the fear of getting shot. If the violence at resorts was so widespread, I assure you every single travel forum would be notified. The CD travel forum is nothing compared to Fodor and TripAdvisor. Yet, thousands of people post on those forums with their upcoming trips to Mexico, most being repeat travelers. Not only that, those replying to their questions are Americans currently living in Mexico, assuring them that it is indeed safe.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Here is a story I just read in the LA Times about 72 people killed in a massacre in Mexico ... 72 folks killed is hardly an insignificant number. It's ok if you personally feel comfortable traveling to Mexico but dismissing someone else's legitimate concern for safety as "ignorant" is not ok.
And the last time that I was meeting with the economic development minister in Nuevo Laredo, five policeman were gunned down eating lunch three blocks away.

When the following organizations issues warnings, I choose to heed their warnings:

Mexico (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html - broken link) (updated 8-28-10)

Mexico Travel Advice and Advisories | Government of Canada

Mexico travel advice

Travel Advice for Mexico - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

For the record, I have worked in Cuidad Juarez, NL and Mexicali, BC over the years. Love the people I worked with but it is too risky until the the situation is resolved.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:43 PM

As of March 2010, the murder rate in NYC has been up 20% from the previous year. 103 people were murdered as of March, probably double, maybe triple that, by now. A lot of these crimes are in Manhattan, in front of tourists. Maybe we should all avoid NYC for fear of being shot or shoved in front of the subway.

NYC Murder Rate Up 20 Percent So Far in 2010

New York City Murder Rate Up 23% In 2010

Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
As of March 2010, the murder rate in NYC has been up 20% from the previous year. 103 people were murdered as of March, probably double, maybe triple that, by now. A lot of these crimes are in Manhattan, in front of tourists. Maybe we should all avoid NYC for fear of being shot or shoved in front of the subway.

NYC Murder Rate Up 20 Percent So Far in 2010

New York City Murder Rate Up 23% In 2010
It's really up to the individual traveler the degree of risk they are willing to take when traveling. At least for brave folks such as yourself, you can benefit from cheaper rates and less crowds. I agree with you about not living in fear which is why I still regularly ride the Metrolink trains in LA/OC even after the deadly Chatsworth crash in 2008. Folks who decry train travel don't realize the level of risk they undergo when driving as more fatalities occur. Regarding travel to Mexico ... For me, it's a risk that isn't necessary and given the fact that I know very little Spanish, I'd likely not fare too well should my safety becomes compromised. Mexicans living in Mexico do not even trust their police due to corruption so why should I have a false sense of safety when this nation is undergoing a war with the drug cartels? I don't recall the specific place I heard this from but tourists are usually perceived as having money and are ideal targets for ransom. I'm sure the resort areas have better security to protect their business interests but it would be naive to believe that they are immuned from the violence. As I stated, each traveler should be aware of risks involved in traveling to any location and make that determination for themselves how much risk they can stomach. There is nothing ignorant about avoiding certain areas due to the risks involved as each person needs to decide for themselves after researching the areas.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
that's a shame, I've traveled by Mexicana and recall a good experience...better than any US airline!

Regarding travel to Mexico, I've been there twice earlier this year and as far as I can tell I am still alive LMAO!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
So how many American tourists have been murdered in Mexico this year? How many Americans were murdered in their own country this year? Anyone want to research and post the numbers? It's the fear of random violence that scares people, even when the fear is unfounded. Two people are murdered and drama ensues. Meanwhile, hundreds a day are murdered at the hand of Americans in this country! It's like the plane crash thing...so many are afraid of flying but get into a car with no problem. I think it's safe to agree that many more people die in car crashes annually than in plane crashes.

My friend just got back from her 2 week honeymoon in Cancun. They had a blast.
The problem is MAK is that the violence used to be more insular among the criminal groups, now it's just random and they'll torture and rape you just for fun.

I have a friend that has taken 20 multi month trips down to Mexico over the past 15 years. He wont go now. He says there was always crime going on all over the country, some places safer than others, but now it's just overwhelmed the whole society.

It's like with any activity, they all have levels of risk. You might escape unscathed now, but that doesn't guarantee your future. Mexico at the moment is risky compared to say, going to Canada.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Like I said, I want proof that American tourists are targeted in cities like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Cabos, where most travel to. We all know they are killing each other, in cities that no American tourist ventures to, far far away from the resort towns. But it appears everyone is so scared because they are targeting American tourists in resort towns and that is not the case. Tijuana is a border town. Most (not all) of the violence is in the border towns. And quite honestly, there is no good reason for anyone to go to TJ since there is nothing to see there.
I don't know what planet you are on, but Americans end up missing and murdered all the time around those places, not to mention all the corrupt cops and other adventures like "fast food kidnapping", credit card rip offs, muggings and so on.

You might be "safer" in an inclusive resort, but if you are out and about traveling around Mexico or these resort communities you have plenty of opportunities for misadventure.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 AM

I wish more people felt like the posters here. We're trying to book Cabos for end of December and the arifares are ridiculous! Some hotels are already sold out because it's a top New Year's destination for SoCal! Our friends have a timeshare there, so we're hoping to meet them there for New Year's.

And I have at least one friend per month going to Mexico. Many make the 3 hour tour from Cancun to Chichen Itza. I have yet to hear about any one of my friends or even us have a negative experience there. People with kids get on flights to Cancun every single day all over the country.

I think you have a higher chance of being a victim of crime in Jamaica than Mexico. There's a reason they only have AIs in many places in Jamaica...to discourage you from leaving the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel