Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
You'll have to share your budget Hawaii stories. One day I want to fly out there, see Pearl Harbor, eat at a hot dog place I saw on No Reservations and then take the roads less traveled from there.
Pearl Harbor is well worth a visit.
One thing we did was go to the Big Island and stay at an inexpensive treetop B&B there in the rain forest. Seeing Volcano National Park was incredible. We really liked Hilo, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
Another option might be San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua or Bocas del Toro, Panama. Neither are especially easy to get to, particulary Bocas, but both are pretty affordable once you're there and look to be fantastic. I have been to neither, but have researched both extensively and they're both on my short list for future travel.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
There is nowhere that's remotely like Hawaii.
The Carib has been way more expensive in our experience (Virgin Islands, Turks, Cayman) without any of the great culture and people and rain forest.
People who are recommending the 'south seas' and Australia are recommending great places that again will be more expensive.
If you don't mind going third world, go South America, I guess.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Another option might be San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua or Bocas del Toro, Panama. Neither are especially easy to get to, particulary Bocas
I spent some time in Bocas, it's a great time as long as you're not a "pristine sandy white beach" purist. I did find some beaches outside of town when riding around on a bike but they were pretty bleh. Staying/food/beer is pretty cheap though, and it definitely has a likable laid back vibe.

We caught a bus from David which was actually a pretty interesting ride on a winding mountain road that gradually changes higher elevation rain forest to a more classic jungle type environment. Took awhile because of standard 3rd world bus deal where anyone waving their hand it stops to let 'em on or off.

It's also got an airstrip with a few flights daily to Panama City on little propeller plane, I think that is only like an hour ride.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Both Panama and Costa Rica can be pretty darn pretty close. Beatufiul rain forests, misty green mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, beaches, etc.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Bocas del Toro, Panama. Neither are especially easy to get to, particulary Bocas, but both are pretty affordable once you're there and look to be fantastic. I have been to neither, but have researched both extensively and they're both on my short list for future travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Both Panama and Costa Rica can be pretty darn pretty close. Beatufiul rain forests, misty green mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, beaches, etc.
My son spent last year's fall semester in Panama, and the photos he sent us of Bocas del Toro were breathtaking.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM

369 posts, read 776,742 times
We can give you better suggestions if you say what you want. Beach, forest, sites, seclusion? Off the bat we can swing with the usual suspects of central america.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I have the perfect place- more beautiful than any of the Hawaiian islands....but like the other posters have said, it's going to be more expensive. Hawaii is actually pretty cheap compared to alot of places.

A cruise would be your best bet. Carnival has cruises for less than a hundred bucks a day and that includes your lodging and meals...and entertainment.
Cruises are money traps and IMO wastes of money and time. No free booze gambling. Stuck on a boat 95% of the time. Go into port and are rushed back in with no time to site see or do anything but things the Cruise wants you to, so they get a slice of it. Pay a cleaning fee every day which isn't included in the price of the cruise and they also want tips? gtfo

Go to an all inclusive and be done with it.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
GO TO HAWAII. Prices are down and keep your money at home in the States where we need it.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The Carib has been way more expensive in our experience (Virgin Islands, Turks, Cayman) without any of the great culture and people and rain forest.
People who are recommending the 'south seas' and Australia are recommending great places that again will be more expensive.
If you don't mind going third world, go South America, I guess.
Wow. So the rest of the Caribbean doesn't have great culture like Hawaii? Do some research and try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel