Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
La'ie (sp?) has the coolest attraction--the Polynesian Cultural Center. I loved every second I was there.
Polynesian Cultural Center Official Site - Best Hawaii Luaus

Hike Diamond Head if you can. The views are AMAZING!
Diamond Head, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely take a few hours to go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay.
Hanauma Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our visit to Pearl Harbor is something I'll always remember. If you go anywhere, go there, and take the tour out to the USS Arizona. You can still see oil leaking from the ship nearly 70 years later.

These are the top tourist attractions and the MUST see and do.
Polynesian Cultural Center, Diamond Head and enjoy Waikiki, Hanauma Bay, Pearl Harbor.

For shopping, try the Ala Moana and then in the waikiki district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 05:02 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,529 times
Stop at the Shrimp Truck (Giovanni's) on the North Shore by Pipeline,huge plate for about 12 bucks,and of course,bring flowers to Battleship Arizona.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 PM

146 posts, read 313,868 times
I've been to Hawaii many, many times. Oahu, Maui and the Big Island. Waikiki Dr. In Oahu is very crowded. Because of Pearl Harbor, Oahu has an unbelivable amount of Japanese tourists and sushi bars... you'd think you're in Japan. Waikiki beach is also very crowded and unsafe to live your personal stuff while you're swimming. My suggestion would be to stay at the hotels with private beaches. The North Shore is nicer. There's a public bus service every 20 min. or so that you can take to see any of the attractions. The plane ride from Oahu to Maui or Oahu to the Big island is about 1/2 hour, and it costs under $100/person. Maui is more laid back, and nicer than Oahu, but not as much to see as in Oahu. The Big Island is my favorite. Very laid back and relaxing with tons to do and see. Your first impression driving away from the airport would be you are on a different planet. Charcoal everywhere with a little tree or flower here and there. Very eerie. The Volcano house and crater is a must see, and the drive down to the live volcano is scenic and unbelivable. If you can afford to go on a helecopter ride to see the whole island, do so, you'll remember it forever.

Four days for any of the Hawaiian Islands is too short for me. At least 10 days per island, if you want to visit attractions and relax at the beach.

If you have only 4 days to spend in Oahu: on your arrival day spent the rest of the day on Waikiki Dr., Ala Moana center and maybe the zoo and aquarium not far away. The next day spend 1/2 a day at Pearl Harbor, than the afternoon at the polynesian Cultural Center ending the day with their awesome show. The next day hike to Diamond Head to see all of waikiki from atop, and in the late afternoon do a luau. If you've never been to a luau it will probably be interesting, they do have a great music but their food buffet is not that great, in my opinion. The fallowing day you can go to Hanauma Beach and do some snorkeling. Get there early to find a parking. You can stay there all day or leave in the afternoon and go for a submarine ride in the Waikiki area. That is awesome. If you're renting a car, drive around the island and take lots of pictures. Great scenery.

Don't go hiking on your own. Many people get lost and are never found. Also do not spend the night on the beach. Not safe.

Sorry, this was long. Hope it helps.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schun22 View Post
My wife and I will be in Oahu for 4 days, it seems like too little time for such a great place. Just wondering if anyone could help me to list down places that I should not miss in Oahu?

Also, is there still any active volcano in Oahu? or I have to fly to the Big Island to see one? Has anyone traveled from Oahu to Big Island? How much time is needed and what is the cost?
We were in Oahu in May - here's my trip report if you wanna see - we went to the Big Island too //www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...nture-may.html

IMO, Pearl Harbor with the Arizona and Mighty Mo are a must see. The Arizona is a quick timed visit - they take you out and back with the same group. The Mighty Mo could take hours or not - depending how much time you want to spend.

My second must see would be Hanauma Bay. They are closed on Tuesdays so I'd recommend going Wednesday morning if possible. That way the water will be as clear as possible. We went Wed morning and then Thurs morning and really could tell the difference. If you don't bring your own mask, snorkel, and fins you can rent all or just what you need from Snorkel Bobs the day before you go.

Third must see would be to drive across to the East coast and up to the North Shore. You get to the East side of the island and WOW - gorgeous. In addition to Giovanni's, don't forget to try shave ice while on the island - either up on the North Shore or down in Waikiki.

Personally, I didn't like Waikiki/Honolulu at all (except for the shave ice and as access to the above mentioned activities).

I have some volcano info on my trip report - it was awesome but you never know what's flowing or where. The flight was less than an hour and less than $100 as I recall. We got our Hawaiian Airlines tickets the day before or even day of flying.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
\ Waikiki beach is also very crowded and unsafe to live your personal stuff while you're swimming. My suggestion would be to stay at the hotels with private beaches.

I didn't think that there were any private beaches in Hawaii. Or at least on Oahu. My family lives there and told me that every beach is public. Even the million dollar (multi-million dollar) beach front houses don't have a private beach.

And we were just in Waikiki in September; never had any problem leaving stuff on the beach. My family were the ones who convinced us...they had never had any trouble, either.

My thoughts on stuff:
-Luau: We did the one at the Hilton. Very fun!
-Polynesian Cultural Center: I didn't really like it. It seemed too campy, too comercial and we saw the same thing at the Luau.
-Pearl Harbor: must visit. We only went to the Arizona.
-Kualoa Ranch: Probably my favorite part. We went on a Jeep movie tour and a horseback tour.
-Shrimp trucks on north shore (I forget which one we went to): awesome!
-Ala Moana food court!! I'm a bit weird, I admit, but I loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel