Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 AM

209 posts, read 613,044 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I will be in Oahu for 4 days, it seems like too little time for such a great place. Just wondering if anyone could help me to list down places that I should not miss in Oahu?

Also, is there still any active volcano in Oahu? or I have to fly to the Big Island to see one? Has anyone traveled from Oahu to Big Island? How much time is needed and what is the cost?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
La'ie (sp?) has the coolest attraction--the Polynesian Cultural Center. I loved every second I was there.
Polynesian Cultural Center Official Site - Best Hawaii Luaus

Hike Diamond Head if you can. The views are AMAZING!
Diamond Head, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely take a few hours to go snorkeling in Hanauma Bay.
Hanauma Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our visit to Pearl Harbor is something I'll always remember. If you go anywhere, go there, and take the tour out to the USS Arizona. You can still see oil leaking from the ship nearly 70 years later.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Yes, 4 days is too short for Oahu, let alone Hawaii.
What to do depend on what you like and want. is in nature like hiking, forest, snorkling? Is it adventure like fishing, parasailing, seaplane rides? Is it cultural? is it the tourist night life?
Hawaii has soooo much, you need to either pick a few to do or just sightsee to see the island for the next trip.

Active volcano? To tell you the facts, all Hawaii volcanos are still active just havn't burpped in a million years but you never know. The active lava flows are only on Hawaii (Big Island). You will eed to fly from Honolulu to Hilo or Kona and drive to the flows. Since the flow changes often, when you get there it may be nothing but steam from the ground, or a river of lava overrunning peoples homes. You never know so don't plan on anything specific. You will spend more time clearing security and waiting in the airport than the entire flight. Hilo is best because it's closer, Kona has more things to see, but a much longer drive.

You can check the Hawaii board on CD as this is asked every week.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
When you go to the Arizona be sure to go on the Missouri, if it's open. Have a wonderful time!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I agree with many here, 4 days is not enough to see everything on the Island of Oahu, you need about 8 to 10 days.

At Pearl Harbor, if you get a chance check out the Pacific Aviation Museum.

As MATheBanker mentioned, visiting the Polynesian Cultural Center is a lot of fun, and the Luau they have is great, along with the food they serve.

The North side of the island is a good day trip, for 2 days, it's also where the Polynesian Cultural Center is.

Pali Scenic Lookout is very spectacular and it's also not that far from downtown Honolulu, about 20 minutes or so. You'll go from the warm 85 degrees of Honolulu, to the very windy and sometimes cold (wind-chill) location of Pali. Here's what I'm talking about, I took this picture in June of 2008 when I went there. I also went to Oahu in July of this year and I enjoyed it very much.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM

369 posts, read 776,742 times
Spend one day driving the H3 and go up to North Shore stopping for the Polynesian Cultural Center. Bishop museum is very interesting if you like history. Many different beaches depending on your swimming ability and what you want to do. Kayaking in Kailua is very nice and you will probably see turtles. Pearl Harbor is a day trip a lot of people like. The aquarium and zoo are terrible. Hiking diamond head is easy and yes gives you amazing views of waikiki and down through hawaii kai. Hanauma Bay is a beautiful fish sanctuary and offers great snorkeling. Some people like to go to the Dole Plantation (they have a maze and stuff) its not essential especially if you are short on time.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Has anyone attended any luau before? There are a lot to choose from, read some reviews and there are bad and good, would like to get more opinion before booking one.

Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:16 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schun22 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Has anyone attended any luau before? There are a lot to choose from, read some reviews and there are bad and good, would like to get more opinion before booking one.

Thanks again.
Might as well kill two birds with one stone and go to the luau they have at night at the Polynesian Cultural Center. You'll have the time of your life!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 AM

Thanks.

How about the movie tours in Oahu? Has anyone done it by themselves without joining any tour?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,959 times
I've got to chime in with driving up the east side and aroudn the north shore. Beautiful beaches and not as crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel