Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,254 times

Advertisements

My husband is French and I travel to France quite a bit. I have gone 5 times, soon to be my 6th trip next week. Four times I have been sick. Once I was so sick I should have gone to the hospital. I had stomach cramps like I have never had before, horrible diarrhea and vomiting... weakness, profuse sweating and after I returned home, it took a good two weeks for me to get my normal appetite back.

All the other times I have diarrhea. I'm tired of it and I can't figure out what it is. I have been to different countries but have never been ill like when I am France.

Have any of you had this issue when traveling specifically to France? Any ideas what it is that is making me sick? *sigh* I just dread my trips when I should be enjoying them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Nope. Been to France many many times and never had a problem.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
You might be picking something up on the flight/at the airport. Make sure you wash your hands as much as possible and use hand wipes or sanitizers too.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,051 times
Yes maybe you picked up something in the airport or amongst those you have been around. I never have gotten sick the times I have been to France. But I did get very ill in Italy--perhaps there is a connection. I didn't have vomiting and diarrhea, just fever and chills and aches...wasn't pleasant and couldn't enjoy my trip.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Nope. Been to France many many times and never had a problem.
Ditto. I've lost count. Never got sick there.

Sometimes just a change in water can throw you off.

I've had it happen in both the UK as well as Italy. I never felt really bad, but did get the trots for one day.

Just getting on an airplane, with that recirculated air, makes me feel paranoid about getting sick. There was one trip where this woman had a horrible, endless, wrenching, bronchial cough. I certainly felt sympathetic, but was not thrilled to be sitting so close to her.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Sometimes just a change in water can throw you off.
Or diet. Especially if you're eating out a lot - it can be hard to eat healthy on vacation because a lot of restaurants don't focus on health foods and that can cause digestion problems too. There are plenty of tips and guides on how to eat healthy on vacation though - like this: 25 Essential Tips for Eating Healthy on Vacation

That said, I'm not sure that would be enough to cause vomiting

Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
My guess would be some sort of alergy to the food, but I can't think of any particular ingredient in french food that may not be in other foods you get elsewhere.
But still, take care of what you eat. Might want to make it bland and simple.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Nearly every multi-week trip I get a weak stomache towards the end of the trip (nothing bad, just "not right"), although I chalk that up to my adventerous eating habits. I try to eat like everyone else that lives where I go, and I assume my stomache just isn't used to what I am putting in me. I got back from Rio on Saturday and my stomache still isn't right, yet. The first time I was in Russia I was super anal about the water/ice and I still had a funny stomache at the end...so i think it is the food.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times
We always get bottled water, no matter where we go. I also stay away from the greens (the rocket salad) and never eat raw vegetables. Sounds like a slight case of acid reflux? Maybe ask your doctor what would be best, either OTC or a prescription. No sense in ruining your trip if you can help it. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
Agree with all the above advice.

Bottled drinks only.
No fresh produce/salads.
Cooked foods only - no sandwiches.

And you might try wearing an N95 mask on the plane.

Planes are nothing but giant germ capsules recirculating contaminated air. Stay out of the plane's bathroom too. They're notorious for germs.

Take and use plenty of hand sanitary gel and wipes. Use them fastidiously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel