U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM

239 posts, read 847,851 times

Advertisements

I love traveling in Europe but hate the lower priced hotels and restaurants in many European Cities. Yes, there is good food and places to stay in Europe but it will cost you, big time. To get American style luxury and really good food in Europe it will cost you double what it would cost in a similar sized city in the USA.

I get really tired of the local restaurants that cost $30-40 in Paris or Rome. I feel cheated. The food is no better than a $15 meal at Ruby Tuesday or the Cheesecake Factory. The $150 two star hotel has a rock hard twin sized bed, no TV, no ice machine, a mini elevator and a general lack of sound proofing. A $50 Comfort Inn in the United States is twice as good.

While I am walking through the streets of European cities and visiting the attractions I love it but when we eat out or are in our hotels I hate it. How about you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 10:19 AM

274 posts, read 809,607 times
I travelled to Italy last November and yes I did find the hotels to be "different", the beds hard and much smaller, that I did not like but other things more than made up more it. I found the food very good even great in most places. If you want to spend less then you must eat where the locals eat and even at that it was still expensive at that time as the euro to dollar ratio was not good at all. One thing I found in Italy is that they love salt and lots of it in their food in some of the restaurants.

No, I did not long for american food even though it was there. I also went to Seoul Korea and ate the native food and enjoyed it for the 13 days I was there.

Americans need to understand that when you travel out of the states it's not like home. Everything is different, good and bad. Even with some of the beds being smaller and hard.......... I can't wait to retirn to Italy one day

Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,700,382 times
First of all, you need to do your research before you travel to Europe. Anyone who doesn't realise it's going to be more expensive there for everything only has themselves to blame. Secondly, I can never understand people who go overseas on vacation and expect the foreign countries to be exactly like home - whether you're going to or from America. Why bother paying all that money and travelling all that way? There are plenty of hotels in Europe that match American standards but they are going to cost you more. That's just a fact of life.

Things are different over there. Try to remember it.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

16,409 posts, read 28,845,948 times
I don't care where I am , I always feel the need to eat McDonalds at least once

Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,510,830 times
One of our main reasons for such extensive travel is to eat. We love food and will travel to a place if we find they have something we want to try. We ate our way through Europe and loved every second of it. And, we didn't experience these high prices you speak of either.

We ate the cheapest food ever while in Rome. Local sandwiches, sold out of windows and local dishes at restaurants nowhere near the tourist traps. I salivate just thinking about it! We made one mistake of eating at a place with a bunch of American tourists and it was truly the worst meal we've ever had as well as a huge ripoff. Get away from the tourist traps, and you'll find some awesome, local food. We asked locals for recs and were sent to an area without tourists where prices magically dropped and the food was great. We rented an apartment in Rome and enjoyed our stay there.

And Paris? There are so many restaurants to choose from, one is bound to be in your price range. We also found some great food there at low cost, both street food and restaurant food. Paris is big on street food and we stumbled upon much of it when we walked around. Much better than American fast food, imo. Our hotel in Paris happened to be an American one, not by choice but because that's what we won on Priceline. $80/night for a great hotel in a great area. Can't beat that!

As far as rock hard beds go? We've had our share at some very expensive hotels in the US. The US is not immune to that! Luckily, we didn't experience any of that in Europe and lucked out with our accommodations in every city we stayed.

Some of the best food we've had has been in Europe. You need to do some research before your next trip, or you're bound to be disappointed again! And fwiw, I hardly consider The Cheesecake Factory or Ruby Tuesday's quality food! I don't eat at chains while at home and most certainly won't start while traveling!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM

5,142 posts, read 12,282,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We ate the cheapest food ever while in Rome. Local sandwiches, sold out of windows and local dishes at restaurants nowhere near the tourist traps. I salivate just thinking about it! We made one mistake of eating at a place with a bunch of American tourists and it was truly the worst meal we've ever had as well as a huge ripoff. Get away from the tourist traps, and you'll find some awesome, local food. We asked locals for recs and were sent to an area without tourists where prices magically dropped and the food was great.
So..how do I know when I'm not in a touristy area in Rome? How do I know where to go if I don't ask locals? Is it info I can find on the net?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM

13,690 posts, read 17,091,058 times
When I've been in a hotel in Europe I miss the American hospitality. They really know nothing of customer service over there.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

239 posts, read 847,851 times
Default Service People in Europe are generally cold

The service people at hotels and eating establishments are cold as ice I find. People say because it is a foreign country I should accept the hard beds, poor service, overpriced food and general comtempt for me as a customer. I don't agree My money is still the same color and as a cusumer I should be treated with respect.

I did not say that Ruby Tuesday had great food but it is as good as a $25 meal in Paris. Sure there is great food in Europe but you have to really search it out and it is way overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
When I've been in a hotel in Europe I miss the American hospitality. They really know nothing of customer service over there.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:00 PM

13,690 posts, read 17,091,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
The service people at hotels and eating establishments are cold as ice I find. People say because it is a foreign country I should accept the hard beds, poor service, overpriced food and general comtempt for me as a customer. I don't agree My money is still the same color and as a cusumer I should be treated with respect.

I did not say that Ruby Tuesday had great food but it is as good as a $25 meal in Paris. Sure there is great food in Europe but you have to really search it out and it is way overpriced.
I had a minor American meltdown last month when waiting 35 minutes for the waiter to bring one bottle of wine. I stormed out of the restaurant and went back to the room without having dinner (then had them bring dinner to our room the rest of our stay). My European husband was a little embarrassed but I told him I didn't care. To sit and wait 35 minutes for a bottle of wine when I could clearly see the wine storage in view of my table, and have the waiter not look at me in my eyes when I ordered was too much for me to handle.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM

5,027 posts, read 14,510,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
So..how do I know when I'm not in a touristy area in Rome? How do I know where to go if I don't ask locals? Is it info I can find on the net?
Just like any US city, go to where the locals live. In NYC, you won't find quality anything near Times Square, but venture a bit outside that area and you are presented with great food and locals. Same goes for any city in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Our American hotel in Paris was one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying in one! This was a well-known and respected American chain. American hospitality? Sure, if getting robbed is your idea of hospitality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel