Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,232,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
Is there much of a nightlife, especially a live music scene in Stockholm?
What type of music? There are some places in Gamla Stan and Stureplan

Quote:
Do I have to travel far north to experience the long days (midnight sun) or is this further south in Stockholm as well?
Sunrise and Sunset for Sweden – Stockholm – August 2011

During the longest days of the year in Stockholm (around July 21) the sun goes down, but at the darkest, it's still kind of dusk looking. Not completely dark. You'll need to go north.

Quote:
Am loathe to spend more than 2 nights in Stockholm ...any recommendations on smaller towns (aside from Uppsala) or national parks?
Any of the islands that I mentioned on the archipelagos tours would be nice for a night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM

367 posts, read 1,070,773 times
Quote:
@ filhok & crazy_bd, I'm in Europe (Aug-Oct) next year as part of a 'round the world and anticipate 5-10 days in Sweden. I thought it best to go in late August & catch midnight sun.

Do I have to travel far north to experience the long days (midnight sun) or is this further south in Stockholm as well?
Any experience with/ recommendations for trekking in August?
Am loathe to spend more than 2 nights in Stockholm ...any recommendations on smaller towns (aside from Uppsala) or national parks?
You would have to travel quite a bit north to experience true midnight sun. While it never gets dark - as in pitch black - in Stockholm in the midst of summer, you certainly can't see the sun. To experience it in Sweden, you could take a flight up to Kiruna... but in my opinion, it's a lot of effort for just the midnight sun. Also, I'm not sure but I think late August, you've missed the chance to see the midnight sun. I think it's only visible - even in the far north - from early June to late July.

I would instead go to the island Gotland, accessible by a boat ride + 1 hr train ride from Stockholm.

Stockholm has a lot of nightlife, and there should be live music available, but it may not be blatantly obvious and available. Research and timing would help - with a little luck, you may time it to an open air music event like "En ljummen i gräset" which translates to "a lukewarm one in the grass" - suggesting that a pleasant way to enjoy the event is to have a (not too chilled) beer in the grass.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 AM

13 posts, read 40,327 times
My friend is currently in Sweden now and sure she's enjoying her work and stay there. I already suggested to her to visit Stockholm.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM

23,862 posts, read 71,225,081 times
Quote:
@ filhok & crazy_bd, I'm in Europe (Aug-Oct) next year as part of a 'round the world and anticipate 5-10 days in Sweden. I thought it best to go in late August & catch midnight sun.

Any experience with/ recommendations for trekking in August?
To see the midnight sun you have to go north of the arctic circle and you have to go in June,preferably around midsummer.
We also have some of the best and largest national parks up here.
You can read more here:
Hem
The two best places for live music is Debaser and Strand,if you are into pop and rock music.
Debaser
Strand

Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM

367 posts, read 1,070,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
To see the midnight sun you have to go north of the arctic circle and you have to go in June,preferably around midsummer.
We also have some of the best and largest national parks up here.
You can read more here:
Hem
The two best places for live music is Debaser and Strand,if you are into pop and rock music.
Debaser
Strand
I miss Debaser summer nights

Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM

23,862 posts, read 71,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
I miss Debaser summer nights
It would be cool to try it some time.
The one at Slussen that is.

Callsnap,in this episode of the Amazing Race you can see what it looks like outside Kiruna:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbWv2...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXEl...eature=related

I think the Ice Hotel arranges summer adventures too.

Last edited by BigSwede; 10-26-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Adding videos....

Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM

702 posts, read 3,004,309 times
If you want to see the midnight sun, and will be flying anyway. I would suggest flying to Tromsø, Norway instead of Kiruna. It is further north and has gorgeous fjords and the Arctic Ocean. Kiruna is landlock and is really not that special.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 803 times
Would it be possible for somebody to send me an invitation letter (for coming to sweden) which I can use to make a visa? I'm self-dependent person and I'm going to return you any
money back. If that would be possible for you, reply to me, please! Thanks
anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel