Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times

Advertisements

First let me start by saying that what I propose might sound challenging or seem like I'm cramming too much in, but I took a month and a half off from work this summer, and drove around the country. In the first thirty-one days, hitting Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and back to New Jersey. I called it the "Grand Loop". Saw Charlottesville, Richmond, Asheville, Winston-Salem, Mt. Airy, Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine, Pensacola, Mobile, Vicksburg, Natchez, St. Francisville, Jefferson, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Tombstone, Sedona, Grand Canyon National Park, Zion National Park, Las Vegas, San Diego, Disneyland, Los Angeles/Venice/Hollywood, Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Francisco, Tillamook, Portland, Mt. St. Helens, Seattle, Coeur d'Alene, Kalispell, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Cody, Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, Badlands National Park, Madison, Chicago, and Pittsburgh.

I came back home and to work for a few days and drove straight from Northern NJ to Memphis. Hit Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and back up north. Saw Memphis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Fort Collins, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado Springs, Ouray, Durango, Mesa Verde National Park, Taos, Lafayette, and New Orleans.

My point in all this is that I have become intoxicated by the grandeur of America and wish to do it all again next year.

I was planning to drive straight to Chicago, stop in Michigan to see Detroit and to the Upper Peninsula for Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the area around Copper Harbor, Isle Royale National Park, and Mackinac Island; Minnesota to see the Twin Cities, Duluth, Bemidji, and Voyageurs National Park; North Dakota to see Theodore Roosevelt National Park; Montana to see the site of the Battle of the Little Bighorn, cut down to Sun Valley in Idaho and some scenic spots along the Snake River; go to North Cascades National Park, Mount Rainier National Park, Olympic National Park, Port Townsend, and Leavenworth in Washington; come down to Astoria, Seaside, and Crater Lake National Park in Oregon, come down to Redwood National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Carmel in California, go east to the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead in Nevada, do a loop into Arizona to see Saguaro National Park, Moab and Bryce/Arches in Utah, and Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado; then cut back across the country to the Northeast.

I made my last trip successful and it was the experience of a lifetime, but it took much hard work and planning. The reason I am posting this here is to see if anyone has any suggestions as to the best possible way to go about this, any general advice, and most importantly, anything interesting to see along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
sounds like you enjoy driving as much as I

But with the high costs of fuel (I get 50 mpg on free fryer grease) and time required, I have been fly / driving with SWA ($89) and priceline ($12/day).
I have been taking more leisurely drives and stopping more often (My 'grease burner' goes 1250 miles between fill-ups)

Denver has been a cheap destination for SWA so I have done that a few times this yr and taken road trips from there.

As usual I will check these routes and talk a lot to locals.

America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online
Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
RoadTrip America - Road Trip Planning for North America

and of course while in ND see this;
EnchantedHighway.net -- Enchanted Highway in Regent, North Dakota

Enroute to Sun Vally take WY 14 and 14A through the Bighorns and be sure to visit the Tetons and take a raft or canoe trip on the Snake.

I rarely travel interstate highways except for 'night-driving' between destinations and of very low scenic value. (Moonlight can make nice driving conditions). I stay in $10 / night private guest homes so get lots of travel ideas there (as well as superior food and lodging)

Have fun

Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I've got a suggestion.

If you're in the SW again make sure to take a drive across the new bridge they've got over the Hoover Dam. The wife and I just took an indirect route back from Nevada just to check it out, that is one impressive feat of engineering man, built right out from the rock walls almost 900 feet above the water.

There is a walkway you can cross from Arizona to Nevada and back, it is not for those with fear of heights.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
I don't know if you saw this last time you came out the west coast but I strongly recommend when you go north from San Francisco you hit the Point Reyes National Seashore and continue north up the Mendicino Coast on HWY 1 through Bodega Bay and Ft Bragg. It is such a beautiful coastal area there.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I've got a suggestion.

... new bridge they've got over the Hoover Dam. ...
^^^ oh yes, that is very impressive
Hoover Dam Bypass (Lots-o-pics' + video)

I really enjoyed flying over it at night during construction
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/...d028bd7744.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...17_634x424.jpg
Incredible images of construction work on 1,900ft-long Hoover Bridge | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel