U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 AM

421 posts, read 1,272,523 times

Advertisements

Hello, my girlfriend and I will be going to vegas in Oct from a sunday-friday (way too long to be in vegas only!) So we're planning to rent a car and drive to the canyon, leaving vegas around 7 or 8am. Where on the canyon should we go, what area is the easiest to get to, and has the best views (especially for sun set) Also, since 9+ hours would be a bit too much to drive in one day, we're planning on staying over somewhere... where should we stay, and what would be a good option for sunrise the next morning? Maybe even lake mead?

Thanks! We live in boston so we dont get out there very often and really want to make the most of it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM

556 posts, read 1,973,585 times
We visited the Grand Canyon several years ago on a driving vacation that included Las Vegas. You should have a WONDERFUL time on your trip!!! We visited both the north and south rim on our trip - and the north rim, while an additional 5 hour drive, was the HIGHLIGHT of our visit to the Grand Canyon. The weather gets dicey on the north rim and causes that side to close in October or November - not sure which - so if you'd like to visit there, be sure you contact the park to verify. We stayed in the lodge there on the North Rim - in a cabin that had SPECTACULAR views....it was reasonable, but the lodge stays booked, so not sure if you could get lodging there this late.....

No matter where you go to see the Grand Canyon, if this is your 'first' visit there - you should be in complete awe. If you are a repeater, with some prior planning, there are so many adventures to 'do' - to include hikes down into the canyon, river trips, etc....

Take your cameras - and lots of batteries, storage capability, etc. - this is EYE CANDY like no other (to me anyway )

Enjoy your trip! We totally enjoyed Vegas too - and we didn't even gamble Take in the Hoover Dam while you are in the area - it's pretty impressive to see - even if you are only driving across! The National Forests out there are also beautiful!....ok - I'll be quiet now

Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,456,941 times
I believe access to the North Rim is already closed in October..I think it's Oct-May that they're closed, due to bad weather and terrible road conditions. And, if you go on that skywalk they built on the North Rim, you're not allowed to take pictures, something to keep in mind. That said, the South Rim is much better anyway, especially in the off season.

Check out one of the lodges inside the actual park. Go to Xanterra Parks & Resorts. - Welcome to Xanterra Parks & Resorts and search for Grand Canyon lodging. We enjoyed the cabins at Bright Angle much more than Thunderbird. You'll have the view of the canyon when you wake up, can't beat that!

The drive to the canyon is under 5 hrs from Vegas (280 miles), not sure where you are getting 9? Unless you're talking round trip, in which case I wouldn't recommend that. A few hours at the canyon doesn't do it justice, I'd spend a night at one of the park lodges. We did the same trip a few years ago. Have a fun trip!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 AM

421 posts, read 1,272,523 times
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I was talking round trip about 9 hours.
I'll start looking into lodging, and see whats open and not, and where we can take pictures and cant (The girlfriends a photographer, soo... its pretty important)

Cant wait for the entire trip, but since I've done vegas before... this will be the highlight for sure.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,456,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
(The girlfriends a photographer, soo... its pretty important)
If she doesn't already have one, tell her renting a wide-angle lens is so worth it for the GC! A regular lens doesn't do it justice, imo. The Tokina 11-16mm, 2.8 is a wonderful lens and comes in Nikon and Canon mounts. I now own one, but I've rented different lenses from Lens Rentals many times in the past and had a very good experience.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM

42,058 posts, read 54,956,577 times
The Skywalk is on the far Western Edge of the Grand Canyon, not the North Rim, on Indian reservation and access is only from the Kingman side of AZ. The cost is $75.00.
OP, drive over to the Hoover Dam and tour that, then up through Kingman to I-40, aim for Flagstaff stopping at any small tourist attraction that may be of interest, stay in Williams or Flagstaff, then drive up either Hwy 64 from Williams or Hwy 180 from Flagstaff to the South Rim of the Canyon which is open all year around (the North Rim should be closed by now and is a days drive out from the South Rim) park at the lodge area first for your first pictures, then follow the road up to all the scenic pullouts and get some fantastic pictures. Then reverse yourself back to Vegas when you feel like it.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Status: "One of many World Reknown CD Sleuths" (set 24 days ago)

23,791 posts, read 25,750,431 times
I would try and stay overnight at the park to take advantage of the reduced crowds in the evening and morning before the tours show up. Easy access from the lodging to the facilities all along the south rim. It would be worth it to try for the El Tovar (wait list) and book a room at the Yavapi Lodge (motel-like) which is just a short walk to the rim.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:17 AM

86 posts, read 161,479 times
Tusayan AZ is the last town before entering the park at the south rim. This is the service town for the Grand Canyon NP and where you'll find the largest selection of hotels Tusayan Travel Guide: Tusayan, Arizona (AZ) | WORLDWEB.COM

Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM

375 posts, read 1,457,890 times
We did the samething you are thinking of doing about 6 years ago. It was our first time to Grand Canyon and it was awesome. The drive was long but we did it in one day because we wanted to spend most of our time at the Canyon.

On the way, we made 2 stops. One at the Hoover Dam, which you can't miss because you have to drive right through it. It is not too far after you leave Vegas. The other stop was a random stop that turned out to be a great surprise. It looked like a rest stop, which it was, but I think it was also a small park. There was a river flowing through it (The Colorado River?) and it was so crisp cold even though it was in the middle of a desert in August. I'm from NY, so the red desert scenary alone was so beautiful to me.

Once at the South Rim, I don't recall having any trouble finding our way to the central tourist area. I forget what the lodge was called but I think there is one major central area where most people first go. From there, you have various option to explore. One thing I found surprising was that for the most part, you can walk right upto the edge of the rim without any safety barriers.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,353,549 times
We did this years ago after Easter...drove for hours and they were

CLOSED!

Yep, the Grand Canyon was closed. Couldn't belive it. They totally gate off and lock the access road.

Just go to the national park service website....it is part of the NPS isn't it? And check their calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel