Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times

Advertisements

Now that I have your attention,

We're going to Europe and I want to pack some American Whiskey for a gift. It will be in a checked bag. I realize there might be issues with glass bottles. Would there be any issues with having the whiskey in a stainless steel or high quality plastic bottle-the type you buy at sporting goods stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
no issue with any of those containers in checked baggage .... i've done the reverse (came back from Scotland with bottles of scotch) with out an issue

I've also packed booze many times within the states .... my last trip back to upstate NY left me with 7 bottles of wine in my checked bag .... i've yet to have a problem .... i just wrap well in clothes and keep the area where they are tightly packed and the bottles as far from the edges of the suitcase as possible

i'd personally be very hesitant though of putting a high quality whiskey into a stainless steel container for any length of time

Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
no issue with any of those containers in checked baggage .... i've done the reverse (came back from Scotland with bottles of scotch) with out an issue

I've also packed booze many times within the states .... my last trip back to upstate NY left me with 7 bottles of wine in my checked bag .... i've yet to have a problem .... i just wrap well in clothes and keep the area where they are tightly packed and the bottles as far from the edges of the suitcase as possible

i'd personally be very hesitant though of putting a high quality whiskey into a stainless steel container for any length of time
Thanks. I agree about the steel-but it would only be for a day.

As to the glass-the flight regs say if glass, you have to put the bottle into some kind of custom styrofoam packing. I could be wrong.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
haven't heard that and have never been questioned, although i've had the tag showing my bag has been searched .... not sure how it would be different than transporting a mug or any other glassware item .... could be a reg for all that though, i've just never encountered it

Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
I've flown into and out of the US with booze bottles in checked luggage. Never a problem anywhere. No worries.

However we did 'lose' a case of Wild Turkey 101 in shipment from China.

(American whiskey is very popular overseas and heavily taxed, so extremely expensive. All the world loves Zhek Denyels.)

Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,317,834 times
Wrap your bottle in a lot of bubble wrap, then put a towel around it, and put this "pakage" in the middle of your case - your bottle and your clothes will be fine!
We brought back a couple of bottles of wine from France last year and didn't have any problem!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
I flew with 2 bottles.. one broke. That should be your biggest worry, make sure you wrap them well!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times
We travel with wine frequently and found individual bubblewrap plastic sleeves at the liquor store that work well.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,541 times
There are heavy duty, hardshell wine 'crates' you can use, but they are pricey, and go over the weight limit for the FAA. There's also The Wine Check - The Wine Check - Don't Ship It....Check It! The most economical and convenient travel protection for your wine - which is lightweight, and if the whiskey weighs around the same as wine, which I imagine it is nearly identical, if not lighter (not as much fancy glass), you can put 12 bottles in there and be under the FAA weight limit.

If you are going to travel, at least get a BUNCH of whiskey to bring home, or you risk losing friends ;-)

Old 10-17-2010, 01:29 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,340 times
I had no luck finding any Crown Royal in Europe. Seems they think that the only type of whiskey is scotch, Jack Daniels or some bourbons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel