Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,480,676 times

Advertisements

Ok...I'm picking brains!
I'm just in the planning stages right now and looking for advise.
About us....we'll be on the motorcycle...we like diner, driveins, and dives to eat in....don't feel the need to spend over $100 a night for a hotel and enjoy looking at nature more than man made stuff.

Next May we are planning on riding the Blue Ridge Parkway from the South to the North. We are also including the Tail of the Dragon at the beginning http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.htmland (broken link) the Rolling Thunder ride at the end (DC)Rolling Thunder

Here's the plan so far:

Leave Orlando on Saturday...get all the way to or close to Deal's Gap, NC.
Sunday ride the Dragon then head to Cherokee, NC. Depending on our time we'll either stay there or start the Blue Ridge then. Any reality suggestions welcome.

Spend M-F riding the Blue Ridge making any and all stops that might catch our attention.

We want to be in Washington DC either Friday night or Saturday morning at the latest to meet up with fellow riders for the events there.

We know that the BRP has a max speed limit of 45 mph and the Skyline Dr is I believe 30.

How much actually riding time should we count on every day?

Is this not enough time or too much? I have no problem spending extra time in either Cherokee, NC or Front Royal Va.

Anyone done this?
Thanks for any tips and advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,771,304 times
Speed limits are accurate. Riding time is dependant on your own ability to drive long distances. Give yourself time to stop here and there, there are some interesting sites to see. You will have no problem driving it in a week, that's actually a slow pace.
What you will not see on the BRP is diners, driveins, and dives...and not many hotels (and thank God for that). That's not what the BRP is about. You have to get off the BRP, there are no really big towns on the route unless you take 20 or 30 mile detours off the parkway.

I would recommend taking camping gear and staying at the many campsites along the route.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Speed limits are accurate. Riding time is dependant on your own ability to drive long distances. Give yourself time to stop here and there, there are some interesting sites to see. You will have no problem driving it in a week, that's actually a slow pace.
What you will not see on the BRP is diners, driveins, and dives...and not many hotels (and thank God for that). That's not what the BRP is about. You have to get off the BRP, there are no really big towns on the route unless you take 20 or 30 mile detours off the parkway.

I would recommend taking camping gear and staying at the many campsites along the route.
Yes I know there are no diners, driveins, and dives or even gas stations on the BRP but was hoping some that had done this had suggestions and what exit to take to get there.

No room for camping gear this trip. Two up on a Road King. Eventually we'll get a small trailer to pull behind. So hotel/motel/cabins rooms it will have to be.

I guess one of the things I'm asking is what is a reasonable about of time I need to give us from say Cherokee to Ashville(just an example)? Making two or three 15-20 minutes stops. Doesn't have to be exact or within the 15 minutes.

I've read many trip reports saying people have done the BRP and what they saw along the way but I can't seem to find where they say how long they took to do it.

I know once I get my map out and really look at it I'll be able to get a good estimation but I also like to take into consideration other people's 1st hand knowledge.

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,618,735 times
My experience on both the Blue Ridge and he Natchez Trace is that when they do road work, the shut the whole thing down from one exit to another, and detour traffic around it. Phone the park headquarters and ask about road works closures. They also do not clear snow on the Blue Ridge, so sections can be closed for snow as late as April and in the fall as soon as it snows.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:51 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,771,304 times
No risk of snow in May but some of the campgrounds may still be closed. It will still be before the main season and that's good, should be nice and quiet. I have been on portions of the parkway many a time and have done the whole bit in less than a week at a leasurely pace, including skyline.

The biggest thing you have to plan on is for accomodations. It's really a pity because you have to leave the peacefulness of the parkway and travel off it for awhile, then return to it the next morning. Asheville is the biggest town and then there is nothing nearby the parkway until you get to Roanoke. Other than that you get some cheap fleabag hotels and cabins that are in the small adjacent towns...there is a nice lodge near Peaks of Otters however.

Tail of the Dragan - dangerous road that is getting alot of police attention lately. It gets alot of traffic actually, usually by elderly male corvette driver's who think they are mario andretti.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,591,076 times
The Dragon I think they have jacked the speed limit down to 25 mph, so I can't see the point. There are plenty of other unknown roads throughout the Appalachians that have similar types of set ups.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 PM

513 posts, read 537,967 times
The Mt. Pisgah Inn may be worth checking out - AFAIK, it's the only private lodging on the parkway itself and reservations should be made well in advance. May be a good 1st night stop if you're starting from Cherokee.

Should be no worries about snow in May - in fact, the rhododrendrons should be starting to bloom.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the info. As for the snow....we picked this week for a couple of reasons. We wanted to do it when school was still in session so we didn't have to deal with too many croachrockets and people on vacation. And after looking up the weather it will be warm enough without freezing us Florida weenies too much.

Keep em coming!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,591 posts, read 57,546,778 times
Biggest problem for me would be getting speeding / traffic / wrong side of road on curves...tickets riding MC on BRP...

It is really SLOW and well patrolled. Fortunately there are often parallel routes available. (when you need to make time). I will take a Motorhome and enjoy the 'slowness'.

I have used many private Guest homes (~$10 / night) when in that region, as well as accommodation at some 'youth / church camps' during off season. The Inns are nice too.

If you are really a 'granny' there are several travel clubs / guest home directories for seniors. I just hosted guest last night. Really fun to meet and greet strangers and fellow 'econo' travelers. I've used directories of private homes for over 20 yrs and excellent lodging all over the world. If you are not a granny, you have Hostels and couchsurfing.com, as well as a few directories of private guest homes.

Have fun.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,345,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My experience on both the Blue Ridge and he Natchez Trace is that when they do road work, the shut the whole thing down from one exit to another, and detour traffic around it. Phone the park headquarters and ask about road works closures. They also do not clear snow on the Blue Ridge, so sections can be closed for snow as late as April and in the fall as soon as it snows.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is 469 miles long - the whole of it has NEVER been closed all at one time.

And if we got snow on any part of it in the fall that would be truly amazing - it just doesn't happen. And snow after March would be another rarity.

Besides, Granny is planning this trip in May, she'll be fine weatherwise, unless she runs into a foggy, rainy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel