Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times

Advertisements

Was booked thru my corp travel desk. Just was not expecting such a difference, had stated in that 3.5star class hotels alot and was alway in the $80-100 range. The $140 was just a little to much, I know the Clerk has limited authority. But I was ready to walk, Desk Clerk said they had lots of rooms. Hotels I book now on 'walk-ups' I sit in the parking lot or on my way into town. Use my web/phone app to look at the hotels/prices and pick one before i get there, or book in it in the parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM

513 posts, read 541,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Was booked thru my corp travel desk. Just was not expecting such a difference, had stated in that 3.5star class hotels alot and was alway in the $80-100 range. The $140 was just a little to much, I know the Clerk has limited authority. But I was ready to walk, Desk Clerk said they had lots of rooms. Hotels I book now on 'walk-ups' I sit in the parking lot or on my way into town. Use my web/phone app to look at the hotels/prices and pick one before i get there, or book in it in the parking lot.
Thanks for clarifying that - a corporation rate will always beat a leisure/walk-up rate.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
I have noticed this as well the few times I booked w/ Priceline. We'd usually get the "party" room (you know, the one that reeks of cigs and has mysterious dents in the walls) or the one next to the noisy elevator that wakes you up at 3 am w/ the drunk clientele returning from a night out.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
I didn't read all these posts; however,

the customer was indeed a bad customer.

Why? Because he didn't even bother reading the contract with Priceline that says you only get a room for 2- no matter how many people (kids, grown ups, -doesn't matter).
So why would this guy get BETTER service just because he booked with Priceline?

There are many hotels that offer complimentary shuttle, breakfast, etc...but if you book with an online discount travel site- NO...you won't get them. Again, not all...just some hotels.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I have noticed this as well the few times I booked w/ Priceline. We'd usually get the "party" room (you know, the one that reeks of cigs and has mysterious dents in the walls) or the one next to the noisy elevator that wakes you up at 3 am w/ the drunk clientele returning from a night out.
As VegasGrace said, all that is spelled out in their terms & conditions that the user agreed to when they made their reservation. If they failed to read the terms and conditions, that's their fault, not the provider. So many people are caught in these situations because they bought by price, not by features and they blindly clicked that tnbey understand the terms & conditions without ever reading or glancing at them. I don't know what reason people have to complain when they agreed to the restrictions and limits.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
As VegasGrace said, all that is spelled out in their terms & conditions that the user agreed to when they made their reservation. If they failed to read the terms and conditions, that's their fault, not the provider. So many people are caught in these situations because they bought by price, not by features and they blindly clicked that tnbey understand the terms & conditions without ever reading or glancing at them. I don't know what reason people have to complain when they agreed to the restrictions and limits.
Yeah, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Actually, it is more likely the "accessible" room with the huge shower.

We always call the hotel direct the night before and get a non-smoking room.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
You get what you pay for through Priceline and I would never recommend them. Most of the time, you end up getting ripped off. The only hotels that usually participate with the Priceline (name your own price) promotion are the closest thing to roach Motels. Besides, IHG has a promotion right now with their friends and family rate being available to anyone. We got a great deal on a room at a great newly updated Holiday Inn for a much better price than any of those online discount sites. You just need a link from an employee of IHG to use the discount. Maybe there is one posted somewhere on this forum?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
You get what you pay for through Priceline and I would never recommend them. Most of the time, you end up getting ripped off. The only hotels that usually participate with the Priceline (name your own price) promotion are the closest thing to roach Motels.
Really? Are you speaking for personal experience? Because we use PL 90% of the time for all our trips and have gotten some amazing deals at some really great hotels. Let me recap some of our favorites for you:

Aruba-Marriott Stellaris Resort for $70/night during peak travel season. Others in the hotel paid $250+ for the same room. We had a balcony, a huge room with the one bed we requested, and an ocean view.

NYC-W in Union Square for $60/night. Cannot even come close to that by doing it on your own.

Miami-National Hotel, right on Collins for $50/night.

San Francisco-Used PL for both our trips. Got the Palomar SF for $70/night last May, and Le Meridien for $90/night over this past Labor Day weekend.

Chicago-Fairmont Chicago-$70/night.

San Diego, just before moving here, we got the Hilton in Mission Bay for $50/night.

Santa Monica-Hotel Shangri-la for $60/night.

Those are just some of the "roach" motels we've gotten. I bet we got better deals on those than most people do on crappy places like Holiday Inn or Motel 6! We very rarely pay more than $100/night for a hotel room and have never been disappointed with Priceline. Every request we ever had was honored and we always receive great upgrades. You just have to know how to use it.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Really? Are you speaking for personal experience? Because we use PL 90% of the time for all our trips and have gotten some amazing deals at some really great hotels. Let me recap some of our favorites for you:

Aruba-Marriott Stellaris Resort for $70/night during peak travel season. Others in the hotel paid $250+ for the same room. We had a balcony, a huge room with the one bed we requested, and an ocean view.

NYC-W in Union Square for $60/night. Cannot even come close to that by doing it on your own.

Miami-National Hotel, right on Collins for $50/night.

San Francisco-Used PL for both our trips. Got the Palomar SF for $70/night last May, and Le Meridien for $90/night over this past Labor Day weekend.

Chicago-Fairmont Chicago-$70/night.

San Diego, just before moving here, we got the Hilton in Mission Bay for $50/night.

Santa Monica-Hotel Shangri-la for $60/night.

Those are just some of the "roach" motels we've gotten. I bet we got better deals on those than most people do on crappy places like Holiday Inn or Motel 6! We very rarely pay more than $100/night for a hotel room and have never been disappointed with Priceline. Every request we ever had was honored and we always receive great upgrades. You just have to know how to use it.
Are you doing name your own price or just using the priceline rates? I mentioned the name your own price option where you throw a number out there and a hotel either bites or doesn't. If you just book a random hotel with the rate they are offering on their website, that is a completely different thing. The hotels agree to that negotiated price well in advance. But, the feature where I could say I want to spend $30 for a hotel in NYC and wait for whatever hotel will agree to that is a crapshoot. There are two different sides to priceline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel