Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I went back to my database of Priceline/Hotwire wins over the past three years. The IHG "friends and family" rates were 25-50% higher than the winning rates I received at IHG propeties during the same period.

However, both Radisson and IHG are in teh habot of trying to sign Priceline users up for their "super special rates" which generally have all the restrictions of a Priceline rate BUT only a small fraction of the savings.
They didn't have the Friends and Family rate over the last three years. It has only been the last year that it was available. My friends would scall individual hotels for us before then and they could give us a deal or not. When we went to Disney World almost two months ago, we got the Holiday Inn DTD for much cheaper using the Friends and Family rate code than anything else we found on the discount travel sites. It was very nice. I usually don't like Holiday Inn but this hotel wasn't what I thought a Holiday Inn was supposed to be like.

Regardless, no one is a bad guest for getting a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
They didn't have the Friends and Family rate over the last three years. It has only been the last year that it was available. My friends would scall individual hotels for us before then and they could give us a deal or not. When we went to Disney World almost two months ago, we got the Holiday Inn DTD for much cheaper using the Friends and Family rate code than anything else we found on the discount travel sites. It was very nice. I usually don't like Holiday Inn but this hotel wasn't what I thought a Holiday Inn was supposed to be like.

Regardless, no one is a bad guest for getting a good deal.
That is NOT what I wrote. I compared the current rates on YOUR website to the wins I have had at IHG hotels the past three years and found that Priceline is a much better deal.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Discount travel websites can provide amazing discounts, but can also make you a second-class consumer of sorts--particularly in hotels. Jesse learned this the hard way when he booked a stay at a Holiday Inn in a major American city.

Holiday Inn Manager: If You Book Through Priceline, You're A "Bad Customer" - The Consumerist
One thing you can do - tell the little farts at Holiday Inn (or wherever) fuc$ you very much, and have a rotten day!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:01 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,488 times
When we use Cheap & Discount Travel Deals, Flights & Hotels | Hotwire.com, we have never had any problems anywhere. I also call right away after making my reservation - we're a couple, so we want the one bed, not two beds. Is it just certain areas, hotels, star ratings? Granted, we only stay at 4 stars, and refuse to stay at a 3 or lower.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:10 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
When we use Cheap & Discount Travel Deals, Flights & Hotels | Hotwire.com, we have never had any problems anywhere. I also call right away after making my reservation - we're a couple, so we want the one bed, not two beds. Is it just certain areas, hotels, star ratings? Granted, we only stay at 4 stars, and refuse to stay at a 3 or lower.
Bragging about only staying at 4-star hotels (and nothing less) sounds more impressive when you don't have to book your trips through discount websites.

The truth is that customers at most hotel chains (and airlines) get treated differently by the "class" that the company puts a given customer in. Those who book directly through the hotel or airline sometimes will get better treatment than those who book through the discounters. And those who have status levels with airlines or hotel chains will usually get better / preferential treatment.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:17 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Bragging about only staying at 4-star hotels (and nothing less) sounds more impressive when you don't have to book your trips through discount websites.

The truth is that customers at most hotel chains (and airlines) get treated differently by the "class" that the company puts a given customer in. Those who book directly through the hotel or airline sometimes will get better treatment than those who book through the discounters. And those who have status levels with airlines or hotel chains will usually get better / preferential treatment.
We just like to use it to get the better deal. We always pony up a few more bucks when we are on vacation, we want a little nicer experience. If we're going to somewhere for the first time, are we going to stay at some motel by the airport, or a 4-5 star? Makes sense. We're just thrifty, and honestly love getting a deal.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
We're just thrifty, and honestly love getting a deal.
Fair enough.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Besides the rude quote, it is kind of the truth, I had to explained to me also.. when you book through a 3rd party like priceline nothing is guaranteed. You can make requests at what you would want for your room, but you are given what is available and if you dont like that you can pay for an upgrade. I don't have a problem with this and I don't think its being treated like a second class customer. If you are paying less than half as much as a regular customer you should in a sense expect to not have the classiest room in the hotel.

Its one of the things you deal with when you go through 3rd parties, its just like booking an airline ticket through orbitz vs the airline directly.. they are usually more willing (and more able) to work with you and your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel