Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 PM

16 posts, read 47,528 times

Advertisements

I grew up overseas in a third world country in a very remote region. My father worked in the mining industry.

I had a tutor who I became very close with, who now runs his own school there. I wonder how he is now and have always wanted to find a way to get him a job in the US, but life has made it difficult.

Anyways, I want to find a way to 'schedule' a letter to be sent to him in the event that I die. When I was 14, I came across some valuables in a ruin and hid them. There are alot of ruins in these particular mountains in this country, so nobody will likely find it, and I left it in a weatherproof tarp because I figured I would come back years later and get it.

Anyways, due to 9/11 and the difficulty of shipping to the US now, I am pretty much S.O.L. when it comes to sneaking it past customs and out of the country. I still entertain the notion that some day I will go find it.

I want my old tutor, or his son to have it, in case I die beforehand. The problem is that if I write the instructions into a will, lawyers will see it and it will be probably be seized by the country for historical significance. Also, if I mail the location to him now, I run the risk of him getting curious and opening it.

Isn't there some kind of safety deposit box you can open that has special instructions written into it? The bank has to deliver a package or something after X number of years? I could just keep delaying the years every five years or so, to ensure that if I stop delaying it, it will be sent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Leave the letter in the hands of a trusted person, such as a lawyer or a banker, Mr. X. Arrange for him to be sure the letter is delivered when you die. In your will, leave a small amount of money "to my friend, Mr. X". Mr. X will then be notified of your death by the probate court, and will know that you have died, and it is time for him to send the letter. When you make the original arrangement with Mr. X, discuss methods of delivery, and see that he inherits enough to carry out your wishes.

Did I understand the situation correctly?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 PM

16 posts, read 47,528 times
Yeah I think so. I am just sort of concerned that the lawyer will read the letter. Then again, maybe there are alot of 'sentimental' letters with wills that are secret - so maybe they don't usually read them?

I just want to make sure someone finds it, rather than it rotting unknown forever - since I will probably never return to get it. Plus, he would be able to legally net 20k or so at a museum for it, while that would barely cover the risk I would take of sneaking it out of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel