Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,983,963 times

Advertisements

I've travelled a lot through Europe. I have learned never to buy steak there, it's always disappointing.

The food in France has always been awesome, whether in a cheap bistro or an expensive restaurant. Wines too!

It took a while for me to find things I liked in Germany, I don't like sausage and found the "cream" or "butter" sauces to be too rich. And really hard to get good veggies outside of mixed salad which was not what you would expect here. Got used to the heavy german foods after a while, and then gained 8 pounds. Beer was always good, wine was always bad (unless I asked for French wine).

England - I just wonder how they manage to extract all the flavor before serving. But they have the BEST Indian and Asian restaurants in Europe.

Italy - mixed reviews depending on the area and restaurant.

Overall - just ask the waiter for a recommendation and let them choose. Almost always works best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 PM

134 posts, read 302,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I've travelled a lot through Europe.
I'm travelling in Europe ... Today's Monday, so this must be Belgium.

Quote:
The food in France has always been awesome, whether in a cheap bistro or an expensive restaurant. Wines too!
Nice to hear that. France, of course, is about the size of Des Moines, Iowa (I owe the World an Apology.)

The food there is much of a muchness. Once you've eaten French food in one city, you've eaten it everywhere.

Quote:
It took a while for me to find things I liked in Germany,

I don't like sausage and found the "cream" or "butter" sauces to be too rich. And really hard to get good veggies outside of mixed salad which was not what you would expect here. Got used to the heavy german foods after a while, and then gained 8 pounds. Beer was always good, wine was always bad (unless I asked for French wine).
Well, I guess that sums up Germany. About 8 miles long and 4 miles wide.

Tell me. Do Americans eat the same food throughout the US? (I'm sure they don't all eat Mickey D's, Wendys, IHOP and Red Lobster everywhere, do they?)

Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,252,751 times
Quote:
I've travelled a lot through Europe. I have learned never to buy steak there, it's always disappointing.

It took a while for me to find things I liked in Germany, I don't like sausage and found the "cream" or "butter" sauces to be too rich. And really hard to get good veggies outside of mixed salad which was not what you would expect here. Got used to the heavy german foods after a while, and then gained 8 pounds. Beer was always good, wine was always bad (unless I asked for French wine).

England - I just wonder how they manage to extract all the flavor before serving. But they have the BEST Indian and Asian restaurants in Europe.

Italy - mixed reviews depending on the area and restaurant.

Overall - just ask the waiter for a recommendation and let them choose. Almost always works best.
If you like a sweeter white wine, the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Spatlese can't be beat. Kabinet and regular Mosel tafel wines are fine as well. Ah, the days.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,983,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you like a sweeter white wine, the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Spatlese can't be beat. Kabinet and regular Mosel tafel wines are fine as well. Ah, the days.
I don't like sweet wine. That's why the German wines didn't work for me but I certainly tried! I lived and worked near Munich for for 6 months and loved it. Just didn't like the wine.

And to the prior poster, I did actually go to more than 1 city and 1 restaurant in Europe. My comments were based on overall experience, not just 1 or 2 places. And I did not ever eat at McD while there. Why would I? I don't eat fast food here either.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,562,997 times
I think to say that the food in Europe is disappointing is a bit like saying the food in the US is disappointing. Europe is so big and whilst there are bad restaurants there is some amazing food to be found.

As a European living in the US I think one of the problems could be the standard/taste you are used to. for example I have not been able to find an Italian restaurant where the tomato sauce isn't too sweet for me. In the US we have even found the bread to be sweeter than we are used to. Our American friends don't notice this because this is what they have always tasted. We also learnt to ask for 'undercooked pasta' to get 'al dente'
The pizzas here are generally too thick for me... I like the nice crispy italian bases I had when traveling around Italy. Sandwiches have far too much filling and they are usually made with some italian style ciabatta-ish bread... I had a steak in a 'famous' NY steak house and the waiter tried to take it back to cook it more as he said it was too rare. I'd ordered medium and it looked close to perfect to me...
When we order in our local Thai restaurant we ask for 'thai spicy' as they admitted they have adapted their recipes for the US customers and the first time we ate there we had to add chilli to everything.
Admittedly we haven't travelled a lot in the US yet but this has been my experience in NY and (NY state), Philly, and Boston.

I used to love Chinese food when I lived in the UK but Chinese food in China tastes completely differently. My 'standard' of Chinese food was so far removed from what food tasted like when we lived in China. Its not to say the Chinese food in the UK was bad... just different and cooked with slightly different ingredients. Like the thai food in the US chinese food in the UK was changed for the british palate...... in the same way you won't see Chicken Tikka Marsala in India - the British nation dish.

Another example was when we went to a fondue Restaurant in the US that has fabulous internet reviews and friends had told us about. It was by far the worst cheese fondue ever. it wasn't even made with the right cheese.
Anyone who raved about this place and then had cheese fondue in Switzerland would probable hate it. it would have too strong a taste... the taste you would expect would be so far removed from what you actually get.

I have to agree with everyone who doesn't like German food however. I spend lots of time in Germany as I worked for a German company and I never really enjoyed german food.... too creamy and I don't like sausages of any description...

I think the best think to do is to order something you don't normally order at home and then your perception of what it 'should' taste like is not there. And I never ask for a recommendation from a waiter unless I am sure they won't think 'give them the tourist option'.......

Old 04-17-2011, 03:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,609,362 times
Maybe because our food here in the USA is so good is why we have the highest obesity rates.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,857,407 times
Folks, if you go to Europe and order a steak, that is just plain ignorance. That would be like a Frenchman coming here and ordering a quiche lorraine from La Madeleine. They would be utterly unimpressed with that overcooked quiche they serve at La Madeleine.

Beef has never been the specialty of anywhere in Europe, If you do have to order beef, order beef burgundy or something like that. Pastries in France are to die for, as is fresh seafood and the classic dishes. Spain has paella and Italy has great pastas.

When in Rome...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Folks, if you go to Europe and order a steak, that is just plain ignorance. That would be like a Frenchman coming here and ordering a quiche lorraine from La Madeleine. They would be utterly unimpressed with that overcooked quiche they serve at La Madeleine.

Beef has never been the specialty of anywhere in Europe, If you do have to order beef, order beef burgundy or something like that. Pastries in France are to die for, as is fresh seafood and the classic dishes. Spain has paella and Italy has great pastas.

When in Rome...
That's probably a good point and also why tourists shouldn't expect to have the best food when traveling to other countries and cultures.

To an American, what's better than a nice steak dinner or grilled hamburger, which is why steak houses are found in the USA -- we like that kind of food. Other people in other cultures have their own preferences. Their ethnic foods are popular with them because that's their thing. Americans tend to be more impressed with a good steak and potato than they would ever be with a plate of pasta or some pastry.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,978,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's probably a good point and also why tourists shouldn't expect to have the best food when traveling to other countries and cultures.

To an American, what's better than a nice steak dinner or grilled hamburger, which is why steak houses are found in the USA -- we like that kind of food. Other people in other cultures have their own preferences. Their ethnic foods are popular with them because that's their thing. Americans tend to be more impressed with a good steak and potato than they would ever be with a plate of pasta or some pastry.
Whether or not beef is a specialty in Europe, and whether the food is "best," lies in the beholder.

IMHO it is not "plain ignorance" to order steak in France; France is home to steak frites as well as steak tartare.

The true error lies in ordering steak, and then expecting American standards.
Grassfed beef, the actual cut of meat, the manner of its cooking, all of these things might be very different from what you get in the States.

And please don't lump me in with the steak-and-potato Americans.
I'm much more impressed by good seafood, pasta and a well-made salad.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
Tell me. Do Americans eat the same food throughout the US? (I'm sure they don't all eat Mickey D's, Wendys, IHOP and Red Lobster everywhere, do they?)
Yes. Everywhere you go in the USA, you'll find the same chain restaurants and a few diners and steak houses. There are some regional differences but you might find that in home-cooked meals and some of the ma-and-pa diners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel