U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 AM

16,409 posts, read 29,148,150 times

Advertisements

Home from Mumbai and I have to admit I loved the trip. Spent 3 weeks there and it was actually nicer than I expected. Granted, obviously it does not compare to the cleanliness of USA and honestly it is probably more dirty than the cities I saw in Colombia, but I definitely expected worse. The buildings and architecture was very interesting and you could really see so much of the british influence (mumbai was basically built by the brits). I couldnt get any pictures to really show just how busy it is here, i think you just have to visit. I didn't do quite as much of the tourist stuff I normally would because this trip was to visit my girlfriend but all in all the trip was awesome and I'll be making more trips to India over the next year and a half until my girlfriend is back here in USA (not only because I have to haha).

Here are some pics from the trip, I took a lot but I didnt want to bore you guys with too many.

This is the Taj Mahal hotel, it was attacked in the terrorist attacks of 2008, I even was treated to a birthday dinner here. Not complainin.

Just a random street in Mumbai.

A cool view of the Mumbai High Court and a field in front. It was early morning but there are usually many groups of people playing soccer or cricket on any given day.

This is a cool view of the city from Elephant Island which is about a 45 minute ferry from the coast of Bombay.

This is a view of the Gateway of India and Taj Mahal from the sea when we were getting back from the Island.

VT station in Mumbai, very very busy , also this was the station they used to film in Slumdog Millionaire

Daytime picture of Marine Drive, a very nice place to jog in the morning or hang out with a boyfriend/girlfriend at night.

Hanging Garden now called Kamla Nehru Garden, this was a really nice place in a very posh section of Mumbai, it was very nice to visit, probably not worth a visit if you are a guy on a solo travel (at least not something id do without a girl)

Me on a road on a Sunday, no cars = cricket in Bombay.

Very cool architecture in Bombay, this is very typical but I thought this looked especially nice because of how orderely it all seemed even in India haha.

Random park in the middle of the city, it was very nice and was right at Horniman's circle lol

This is a picture of Flora Fountain, was built in the 1800s and is right at a major intersection of 5 main streets. I drove by this every day.

Marine Drive at night.

All in all , a very nice trip and I'd recommend Bombay to most people who are interested in things outside of what is normal in their own towns.

One thing I forgot to mention, Mumbai has the highest concentration of the most pathetically dressed tourists I have ever seen. It is seriously ridiculous how bad most tourists dress and I couldn't help but laugh at almost every single one i saw. People PLEASE LEARN TO DRESS WHEN YOU GO SOMEWHERE. I think most of them weren't American but still!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM

476 posts, read 1,088,900 times
Good of you to post a trip report & photos.
You were worried about the food...what did you think of it: Taj hotel vs home-cooked vs street food?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,607,564 times
Thanks for the pics, brings back memories.

Did you go see Dhobi Ghets? (sp? The open-air laundry) or the Mosque that sticks out into the ocean? I thought those were really unique and cool places in Mumbai. Did the monkeys on Elephant Island try to steal your stuff?

Are you visiting solely because of your girlfriend? Any thoughts about maybe relocating to India someday? I think there's some great business opportunities.

Did you get out of Mumbai at all? It's one of the cleanest and most advanced cities I visited in India. Bangalore was a nice place, too. I didn't get to Calcutta, but I've heard from those who grew up there that it's a pretty intense place.

There is a very clear difference between the northern cities like Delhi or Jaipur and the southern ones like Mumbai and Mangalore. I prefer the north because everything is cheaper, but it can be a rough time. You're doing it right by starting with Mumbai. Hitting Delhi or anywhere in the north first can be pretty overwhelming.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Thanks for the pics, brings back memories.

Did you go see Dhobi Ghets? (sp? The open-air laundry) or the Mosque that sticks out into the ocean? I thought those were really unique and cool places in Mumbai. Did the monkeys on Elephant Island try to steal your stuff?

Are you visiting solely because of your girlfriend? Any thoughts about maybe relocating to India someday? I think there's some great business opportunities.

Did you get out of Mumbai at all? It's one of the cleanest and most advanced cities I visited in India. Bangalore was a nice place, too. I didn't get to Calcutta, but I've heard from those who grew up there that it's a pretty intense place.

There is a very clear difference between the northern cities like Delhi or Jaipur and the southern ones like Mumbai and Mangalore. I prefer the north because everything is cheaper, but it can be a rough time. You're doing it right by starting with Mumbai. Hitting Delhi or anywhere in the north first can be pretty overwhelming.
Haha, funny story about Dhobi Ghat, yes I visited, but I absolutely did not visit as a tourist. I had the hotel do my laundry and they sent the laundry out with a laundry guy but I was under the impression they did it all there.. well it turns out one my my Armani shirts just somehow went missing Me and my girlfriend went out to dhobi ghat and found the guy and obviously the guy didnt speak english so she went crazy on the guy for about an hour, we never did find my shirt but he ended up agreeing to pay for the shirt (out of fear, she can be quite scary).

India has always been a country that has interested me, but the trip was made solely to visit her, so for that reason I didn't get an opportunity to visit any of the other cities, I think on my next trip my brother is going to come out there for a couple weeks and she wants to take him to goa and I want to see Kerala. I'll eventually make it to the North and more cities around India but for some reason the cold weather of the north scares me I don't see myself making it to Kolkata anytime soon simply because she hates that city, we were supposed to go to the hillstation lonavala and also check out pune but we just didnt find the time.

I don't see myself relocating to India and I don't think she'd want to stay in India, she likes USA and has every intention of living here (as do I). I have no problem making a lot of visits to India with her, but as of now the plan is living in USA.

Oh and the monkeys didn't manage to get anything from me surprisingly

Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
Good of you to post a trip report & photos.
You were worried about the food...what did you think of it: Taj hotel vs home-cooked vs street food?
hmmmm, well the Taj was an experience of its own, the food was great so I can't give any complaints there, and i had never been so full in my life, she ordered us the 5 course sketch menu, and my appetizer was a huge jumbo shrimp and a 6oz salmon filet (one of the best i've had in a very long time) It was Masala Kraft which was all Indian Cuisine, the food was great. The home cooked meals were all the most healthy food i ate the entire time I was there and it was all very good, she doesn't cook very spicy so it was also the least spicy food I ate the whole time I was there. Street food.... well she was choosy about where I could eat my street food (which is probably why I never got sick there) and I thought it was good, but I also can't say I ate SO MUCH of it, I had samosa, vada pav etc , but I mean, I have eaten a lot of it here already and I don't think it tasted much different, it was good and cheap (which was nice) but nothing new so I can't say I went crazy over the street food. I liked eating in some of the other restaurants where I could try the different non veg curries and try the different cuisines, that was the best in my opinion because a lot of the food at the restaurants were more new to me.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:59 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,607,564 times
Has she lived in the USA much? It can be quite an adjustment when it's full-time. But if you get to go back to visit family a lot, that makes it much better.

Haha, funny story. Goa is kinda meh in my opinion, but lots of people seem to like it. Be sure to visit Agra and the Taj Mahal eventually. Even though it's a tourist trap it's totally amazing.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Yeah, Goa isn't even my cup of tea, I said no more than 4 days in Goa for me, but she swears that it would be a dream city for my brother, so she wants to bring him there. I think the Taj Mahal would be awesome to see, it all just depends if I feel like sitting on a train for that long. For me, something about Kerala just really sparks my interest, so if I get the chance to go anywhere it would probably be Kerala.

Did you spend a long time in India? It seems like you know quite a bit about it, have you ever lived there or were you visiting as a tourist? Do you have any knowledge of short term rentals over there/are they existant? When I go back I will have more money so I want to stay for around 2 months and maybe try to find a month to month apartment.. do you think I'd have many options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel