Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
We almost went to Grenada last year but chose St. Lucia instead.
Grenada didn't really look that great to me. And I was fairly disappointed with St. Lucia....Wish I had gone to Aruba or Turks & Caicos instead.
Anyone ever been to Curacao or any of th eislands in the Bahamas ?

Been to Curacao - charming, but I didn't dive...the bridge is pretty cool. We just stayed in the downtown area, it was only one day on a cruise...the architecture was pretty.

You'd love Turks and Caicos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM

739 posts, read 830,049 times
Try Turneffe Island Lodge in Belize. It's 30 miles off of the coast of Belize City and close to the infamous Blue Hole. The reef is the 2nd largest in the world. Sport Diver Magazine rated it as one of the best lodges/locations in the world. I was there a few years back fishing and ran into Tommy Lee Jones and his family. A group of divers went to the Blue Hole and saw a whale shark.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Grenada didn't really look that great to me. And I was fairly disappointed with St. Lucia....Wish I had gone to Aruba or Turks & Caicos instead.
st Vincent or Antiqua?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Try Turneffe Island Lodge in Belize. It's 30 miles off of the coast of Belize City and close to the infamous Blue Hole. The reef is the 2nd largest in the world. Sport Diver Magazine rated it as one of the best lodges/locations in the world. I was there a few years back fishing and ran into Tommy Lee Jones and his family. A group of divers went to the Blue Hole and saw a whale shark.
I also second Belize. It is English speaking, loves American tourists, and seems to be much safer than most Caribbean/Central American countries. It is not an island, but it feels like one. The diving and snorkeling is fantastic and there are many other forms of entertainment you can check out. Major cave systems, Mayan ruins and temples, great fishing and hiking, huge waterfalls. I spent a month there in Nov of 2006 and loved it.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
I did not much like the touristy atmosphere at the Bahamas.
But maybe it depends on which places within the islands you visit?
I would like to visit Curacao.
The places I liked the best so far were the British Virgin Islands and the Caymans.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
I thought Belize was supposed to be an awesome dive destination, atleast it was a few years ago.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM

232 posts, read 995,072 times
MaggieKate...what is your question ????

Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Even though it's not technically in the Carribean, I'd recommend you check out Bermuda. I went a few years ago in July, and was very impressed. Flew out there, and stayed in a Bed & Breakfast in Hamilton. Bright blue water, tropical plants, and bright pink sand.. it was beautiful.

I'd never been scuba diving or snorkeling before, no certifications whatsoever. They asked, "Can you swim?" - and that was the rigorous scuba test. I passed. They strapped that tank on me, showed me how to use it, and down we went. We didn't go too deep, only about 20-30 feet, but enough to see shipwrecks.

I've been to the Florida Keys, the Bahamas, grew up near the South Carolina coast, and now live on the North Carolina coast. I'm no connoisseur, but based on where I've been, I'd recommend Bermuda.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:04 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I thought Belize was supposed to be an awesome dive destination, atleast it was a few years ago.
You are right. Belize is a great dive destination. It has the second largest barrier reef in the world, next to Australia and is in the migratory route of the whale shark.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 AM

232 posts, read 995,072 times
I'm thinking Belize sounds great. I have heard nothing but good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel