U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:44 PM

232 posts, read 939,955 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any goog info or recommendations for Belize ? What's the best place to go where the drive from the airport won't be long ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM

738 posts, read 671,416 times
You shouldn't plan on staying on the mainland. Belize City is not safe and you'd be hours by boat to the diving locations. Check out Turneffe Island Lodge.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM

232 posts, read 939,955 times
I heard Belize is the safest country in central america. Is this not true ? How far of a ride from the airport to the resorts is it ?

ps...Buckhead, Are you a agent in GA ? I still have my license in GA...LOL

Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM

19 posts, read 138,121 times
Default St Martin/St Marteen

I vacationed on the Dutch side of the Isle with my two daugthers 3 years ago. At the time they were 12 and 9 years old and we had a blast. The island is beautiful with lovely beaches and expansive mountain ranges. It's only a 5-15 minute drive between Dutch and French sides of the island depending on your location. Mostly everyone speaks English on the Dutch side and though French is the official language on the French side (duh) most locals speak some English but the signs are all in French with very little English translation on the French side.

We did a variety of activies from snorkling, hiking, sailing, etc. during a 1 week stay. I'd definately visit again.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 31,689 times
There are so many places and so little time!! So, here is my take, advisedly biased.

BONAIRE
This is one of two hot spots for fish diversity in the Caribbean (just check out the REEF website, Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) Home Page).
The diving is compatible with all skill levels; you can have a great time diving off of your resort's house reef, you can take guided boat dives, or you can rent a truck load up your gear and go off to shore dive one of the many excellent locations (see ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community!). Night diving on Bonaire is easy and an experience not to be missed.
Dive operators and dive masters insist on good boyancy control and no reef damage. Regulars grouse about the condition of certain reefs, but you will find few better.
If you like UW photography (even with a point and shoot) chances are that you will get some good pictures. Take a pic of any anemone and you will probably see the commensal shrimp(s) that you didn't notice on your dive.
The drive to most places on the island is seldom more than a half-hour away. I think that there is a traffic light somewhere on the island, but can't remember where it is.
The dining on the island is pretty good. You have lots of choices of cuisines. Gotta try the Kabrito Stoba.
As a rule, cruise ships seldom stop at Kralendijk so the tourism is not set up for vacuuming money out of your pockets. Mostly you find two classes of tourists, the divers, and the wind surfers. However, for the souveneir deprived, there are some nice shops.
There are other things to do. I enjoy trying to find the indigenous birds and liked when I spotted a Caracara that probably flew in from the mainland. Snorkel Lac-bai to see the upside-down jellyfish, etc.

Do not go if you can't stand a really laid-back experience. If you want sophisticated nightlife, miles of beaches, and attractions tailored to cruise ship droids, Bonaire is not for you. Hey, it's an island, with island time and island prices and island commodities where the shelves at the Cultimara are stocked with what came on the last boat.

But, if you do go, and especially if you go for the diving without preconceived notions of topside life, you will find out what PBD means. Ask returning divers.

Last edited by Phacops; 08-21-2007 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Add REEF URL, add clarification about Kralendijk

Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
Default family scuba diving holiday in carribean

I have just enjoyed a fabulous holiday in the Caribbean around the islands of Grenada, St Vincent and the Grenadines with a new adventure holiday combining sailing on a catamaran and enjoying scuba diving on remote reefs wherever the boat took us. This was an amazing experience to discover both sailing and diving in remote places in the Caribbean

The crew of the caribbean based diving and sailing company Fab Safaris were really welcoming and friendly enjoying tranquil meals in the middle of the Caribbean sea with few people about.

I really recommend this type of holiday if you enjoy scuba diving or sailing.

Last edited by fabio diving; 04-09-2008 at 02:57 AM..

Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,570,040 times
I agree with Belize. We stayed on Ambergris Cay off the coast. The snorkeling was amazing. I've also been to Bonaire and LOVED the whole island, not just the snorkeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or