U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 AM

12,210 posts, read 11,529,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lots of people do it, and one day I want to be one of those people, but I am a little frightened. Any tips?
Well, the first question I would have for you is where are you going? Some places are much safer than others are.

I have traveled alone frequently on business. However, these travels have not taken me outside the USA. Most of the USA is pretty safe for anyone to travel by themselves. I would worry about being alone at night in some areas of major cities like Detroit, Washington D.C., New Orleans, and Miami.

I focus much more on being comfortable during my travels than I do about safety. Although, I'd make these suggestions to you:

1. Make sure you have a modern hotel where all rooms are inside. Not like the old motor lodges where all the rooms had a door to the outside. Some of these still exist.

2. Find out where a hospital is in relation to your hotel. I've actually had a kidney stone on a trip which is indescribably painful and probably made worse by the anxiety of being in a strange place. Know how to get to the hospital quickly if you have some kind of emergency.

3. I won't say don't drive anywhere at night. However, if you do be doubly sure of where you are going and how to get back to the hotel. You don't want to have to get out of your car to ask directions.

4. Conduct all business with other people in public areas such as lobbies, restaurants, and bars.

5. Avoid walking outside at night unless you are with a trusted friend or companion and ask guest services first how safe the surrounding area is for a walk.

6. Read the reviews of your hotel on TripAdvisor or on some other website. It will tell you alot about safety and the area you are in.

7. If you have any problem contact your hotel desk clerk. The liability system we have in the USA requires hotels to respond to emergency requests. Hotels that have not done so have been punished severely in court with damage awards. In some ways, you can count on these systems better than you can count on friends and family for help.

I honestly think traveling alone in most of the USA is not only safe, but a piece of cake. America is very tourist friendly. We have hordes of hotels, restaurants, fast food outlets, and convenience stores readily available for tourists. Many areas have emergency medical clinics nearby as well. During the last ten years one little known fact is that crime rates for both violent and non-violent crime have actually fallen.

Don't worry. Kick back and enjoy yourself. If you get a chance on a business trip visit tourist attractions. You may not be there again for a long time. Outside of very infrequent illness, I've never had anything bad happen to me traveling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,250,827 times
do it !!!! I love it.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 AM

175 posts, read 288,436 times
It depends on how are you

And you must take a little more precautions. But just a little... Enjoy it!

Some advises:

Travelling alone - Wikitravel

travelling alone : General Talk Forum - Travellerspoint

Travel alone | Blog Yporquenosolo

Keeping Safe When Travelling Alone at Travelling Alone (UK)

Bon voyage !

Old 10-16-2010, 03:10 PM

42,661 posts, read 80,589,515 times
One thing to keep in mind. You are accustomed to the American urban development standard, in which the central city is most dangerous, and the outlying suburbs are the safest. But in Third World countries that have substantial poverty, the opposite is true. The central area of the city will be safer than outlying parts.

For this reason, it is unlikely that you will ever have occasion to venture into the outer parts of the city. You will spend virtually all your time in the central district. In most cities, even in the poorer countries, the central district will be as safe or safer than the central district of most big American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel