Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

HIGHTSTOWN, N.J., Oct. 15 (UPI) -- A New Jersey man who spends between $150,000 and $250,000 on travel each year said his passport has grown to 96 pages.

Sanjeev Midha, 49, said he has added dozens of pages to his passport to make room for more stamps received during the multiple months-long vacations he takes with his family each year, ABC News reported Friday.

Man's passport has 94 pages - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The passport I had in Africa in the 70s had 72 pages---the original 24 and three 16-page additions. In those days, instead of regular pages, they would glue in a long strip that was accordion-folded so it was 8 pages long on each side.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
You guys are lucky you can add pages....... we have to apply for new passports. My husband has both British and Swiss and I have British. Last week to get our US visa we had to take all the passports we had travelled on in the last 10 years. He had 6 and I had 3......They are expensive to replace...

Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 AM

When I was living in Jordan,, my Canadian wife ran out of pages in her passport, but the relevant Canadian consulate was in Beirut, which was in a war zone and couldn't go there. So the British consulate put her passport in a diplomatic pouch and sent it to Beirut, and the British took it over to the Canadians to have pages added, which is normally not done in Canadian passports.

When we got to Nairobi and again ran out of pages, she went to get a new passport and the Canadians practically exploded, turning turning near apoplectic demanding to know who had put those pages in there and why. I thought there were going to be questions in the House in Ottawa over it, for all the fuss they made. But she got the new passport nevertheless, after explaining the circumstances.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:41 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
I can't imagine that being possible, unless you ask them to stamp your passport! 5 countries this year for me so far (another one coming up), and only one of them stamped my passport. The rest just told us to go on through. Same thing last year and the year before. Out of 16 countries in the last little over 2 years, I only have 3 stamps to show for it.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I can't imagine that being possible, unless you ask them to stamp your passport! 5 countries this year for me so far (another one coming up), and only one of them stamped my passport.
Where are how are you going? I've gone in and out of Mexico and between countries in Europe without stamps but just about everywhere else I've had stamps added even smaller border crossings in 3rd would countries when taking a bus or taxi.

Filling up can happen fast with countries that put the full page Visa sticker like India, Vietnam, China, Cambodia, etc.

What I don't get is how can this guy stand it? Mine has one extra set of pages added right now and it already feels too bulky.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 PM

I always get stamped in and out by Mexico, probably because I enter by car.

It's true about Europe, my last trip went through 11 countries, and I got stamped only by Hungary, which required a visa then. Theoretically, France then required Americans to have a visa, too, but we were driving a German rental car and just got waved through. So France is on my list of countries that I entered illegally.

My one trip to India used up five pages, because I needed special permits for the northeastern states. Algeria once used a whole page for 'foreign currency declaration'.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Where are how are you going? I've gone in and out of Mexico and between countries in Europe without stamps but just about everywhere else I've had stamps added even smaller border crossings in 3rd would countries when taking a bus or taxi.
Been to Mexico several times and never received a stamp, by plane though. Costa Rica was the only recent that did stamp it. We flew to France and they didn't stamp our passport at the airport either. Then, we rented a car and drove to Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria and not one "border" crossing was staffed. In fact, you didn't know you even crossed to another country unless you paid attention to the road sign advising you of it.

I know they are supposed to stamp it when you first enter, because when we returned to JFK, the passport control guy was asking us why we had no stamps and where we had been. When we asked in France, the guy said no and wasn't exactly friendly so we figured they just do it when they feel like it.

They no longer stop you at borders of EU countries if you drive, like they used to back in the day. I remember always being stopped when we'd go on road trips when I was young and lived in Poland. Much has changed!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Been to Mexico several times and never received a stamp, by plane though. Costa Rica was the only recent that did stamp it. We flew to France and they didn't stamp our passport at the airport either. Then, we rented a car and drove to Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria and not one "border" crossing was staffed. In fact, you didn't know you even crossed to another country unless you paid attention to the road sign advising you of it.

I know they are supposed to stamp it when you first enter, because when we returned to JFK, the passport control guy was asking us why we had no stamps and where we had been. When we asked in France, the guy said no and wasn't exactly friendly so we figured they just do it when they feel like it.

They no longer stop you at borders of EU countries if you drive, like they used to back in the day. I remember always being stopped when we'd go on road trips when I was young and lived in Poland. Much has changed!
They don't stamp at all in Europe. You can fly to UK from France and not get a stamp. Its all Europe and like you say the borders are usually not manned...

Its the visas that take up space. I Have 5 china visas and about 30 pages of stamps over 3 passports from living in HK and visiting to get clothes and furnishings made and going for long massages in Shenzhen.
Visas and stamps from all the Asian countries we have visited because everything is so close here, mainly Indonesia, India, Japan, Myanmar, Nepal.
In 1.5 hours I can be in Phuket where a friend has a house. I've probably been about 15 times in 5 years and whilst they don't to a sticker visa they have big entry and exit stamps...

Old 10-16-2010, 07:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Now that is strange, I've always gotten stamped coming or going internationally from CDG airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel